Rutger Shaw, Professional Adventurer
|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Rutger Shaw enlisted in the Cygnaran Army as a young man and trained as a trencher, demonstrating a unique knack for marshaling warjacks as well as skill with a blade. Military service and long years of battle hardened him, even as his conscience chafed at fighting at the whim of callous officers. He opted out and turned sell-sword, spending recent years travelling the Iron Kingdoms guided by his taste for adventure and coin.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Rutger Shaw, Professional Adventurer
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Hand Cannon - 12" range, POW 12 gun
- Mechanikal Sword (Jackknife) - 0.5" range, P+S 12 melee weapon.
- Mercenary - will work as a Cygnar mercenary, Khador mercenary, or Protectorate of Menoth mercenary
- 'Jack Marshal - All 'jack marshals share the same set of special rules, which basically amount to: This model is not a warcaster but may control a warjack.
- Drive : Shield Guard - While in Rutger's CMD range, a warjack under its control gains Shield Guard. (Shield Guard - Once per round, when a friendly model is directly hit by a non-spray ranged attack during your opponent's turn while within 3" of this model, you can choose to have this model directly hit instead. This model is automatically hit and suffers all damage and effects. This model cannot use Shield Guard while it is incorporeal, knocked down, or stationary.)
- Dual Attack - This model can make both melee and ranged attacks in the same activation. When this model makes its initial melee attacks or a power attack, it can also make its initial ranged attacks. This model can make ranged attacks even while in melee.
- Iron Sentinel - While B2B with a friendly Faction warjack, this model gains +2 DEF and ARM and cannot become knocked down.
- Partner: [ Taryn Di La Rovissi ] - While in Taryn Di La Rovissi's CMD range, this model gains Dodge.(Dodge - When an enemy misses this model with an attack at any time except when it is advancing, this model can immediately advance 2" ignoring free strikes.)
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
Thoughts on Rutger Shaw, Professional Adventurer
Rutger Shaw, Professional Adventurer in a nutshell
Rutger Shaw is a skilled jack marshal whose main ability is to give his marshaled warjack Shield Guard, and has Iron Sentinel to let him hang close to his 'jack until it gets to charge range. His drive is decent. His melee ability is decent. His ranged ability is decent.
Combos & Synergies
Taryn grants him Dodge and he gives her Tough so they operate as a rather expensive unit. In Irregulars, Shaw would be taken with a jack to marshal. In which case you will want to pick a good one.
- Talon The cost of the Talon plus Rutger's cost is the same as a Vanguard and it's not hard to make the case for this combination. The Talon, with its shield, is extremely tough for its points cost and is good at jamming up the enemy. With Flank, it's MAT 10 on the charge.
- Freebooter Charges for free if he's with Shae. Low ARM for a heavy makes it less than ideal.
- Mangler With Aggressive, the Mangler charges for free and hits like a truck with Flank and Crush. At ARM 19, it's a fine shield guard on the way in. Dirty Meg has a much better drive, but his is probably the second best in Mercenaries.
- Toro Rutger can finally field the jack he has in the fluff! Between giving an arm 20 'jack shield guard and the toro having counter-charge for some efficiency, they make a solid duo.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Like all jack marshals, Rutger lacks the ability to give his marshalled 'jack a focus, nor can it benefit from the new Power Up rule.
- While solid all around, he's not exactly the right tool for any job or the best at anything so he struggles to find a place in many lists.
Tricks and Tips
- Originally released in Forces of Warmachine: Mercenaries (July 2010)
- Despite being a mercenary for hire, Rutger is written as having a heart of gold who goes out of his way to help the downtrodden while his partner, Taryn is more practical and callous, though she follows him around anyway to pull his skin out of the fire.
- Rutger and Taryn have been partners for almost a decade and carry a barely-disguised torch for each other, though due to their characterization in the fluff, will probably never do anything about it.
- In lore Rutger's 'jack is a Toro, which he could not field for many years until the release of the Crucible Guard.
| Khador (Edit)
||Protectorate of Menoth (Edit)|
Other Mercenary models
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)