Khador Character Heavy Warjack
Ruin is a blend of engineering and black magic, an unsettling fusion that has resulted in a malevolently aware machine. Ruin’s scarred chassis is festooned with powerful Orgoth relics that possess a willful hunger to harvest souls and whisper incomprehensibly directly into the warjack’s cortex. Orsus Zoktavir has been entrusted to exploit Ruin as a weapon for the Motherland, whatever the cost.
Weapons and Attacks
- Armored Fist - 1" reach, P+S 16 melee weapon.
- Black Iron Mace - 2" reach, P+S 18 melee weapon.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Bond: (Butcher) - If this model begins the game in Butcher's battlegroup, it is bonded to them. This model is not considered to be bonded while under your opponent's control. While this model is bonded to Butcher and in their control range, Boundless Charge. (Boundless Charge - During its activation, this model can charge without spending focus and gains +2" movement and Pathfinder when it charges.)
- Sacred Ward - This model can't be targeted by enemy spells.
- Soul Taker: Spirit Harvester - This model collects souls from enemies that die nearby and can carry up to 5. At the start of its activation it can convert souls into focus.
- Arcane Vortex - Can negate spells targeting nearby models by spending a Soul token. The negated spell's COST is still paid.
Thoughts on Ruin
Comparison to Mk2
No real change
Ruin in a nutshell
Ruin is a capable melee beatstick, with focus on anti-magic. Plus he's Butcher's best bud, and enjoys a nice bond-bonus. His price is very favourable for a heavy, and thanks to Power up plus Spirit Harvester, he can function nearly autonomous, if you can provide him with some souls.
Combos & Synergies
- Butcher for obvious reasons.
- Vlad1 and Kommander Oleg Strakhov usually get merit out of Ruin on the sole account of it being a Juggernaut with more melee range.
- Run Ruin up near some infantry, then reap their souls with Widowmakers to fill up his Spirit Harvester.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- He loses a lot of mobility without Butcher.
- He's a character jack. That means everyone wants to kill him. He's your second cheapest character though, so can draw fire from more valuable targets.
- If there's not a lot of magic, some of his potential is wasted, and you still pay the cost.
Tricks & Tips
- Under Butcher, purposely failing a charge puts Ruin 1" further up the board than running would. Especially practical for terrain, due to pathfinder.
This entry can be found in Warmachine: Reckoning (2015)
Theme Forces this is a member of
When taken in Butcher's battlegroup, this model can be taken in:
When taken in someone else’s battlegroup, this model can’t be taken in theme forces.
Other faction models
Rules Clarification : Open Fist (aka, Power Attack Throw) (Edit)
- See the Throw article for a recap of the core Throw rules.
- When you make a Throw Power Attack, no other abilities of the Fist weapon (such as Chain Strike) are applied unless they specifically mention Throws.
- If you do a Power Attack Throw and you choose to throw the target directly away, no deviation is rolled to determine the final position of the model. (Locked thread)
- A model that cannot be targeted by melee attacks (such as Una2's feat) cannot have models thrown at them, either. (Infernal Ruling)
- Unresolved: Since throwing Model [A] at Model [B] involves making a melee attack vs Model [B] which is out of your melee range, it technically breaks a whole bunch of core rules. The Infernals are currently checking it.
Rules Clarification : Magical Damage (Edit)
- The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon such as arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
- All spells have "Damage Type: Magical" (refer latest errata).
- If a weapon/spell includes Magic Damage and another kind of elemental damage it can still damage Incorporeal models. They're not affected by the rule "if an attack does multiple types of damage and a model is immune to at least one it is immune to the entire attack.
The phrase "immune to non-magical damage" should be intrepreted as "immune to damage that doesn't include Damage Type: Magical" (not as "has immunity to Corrosion and Electricity and Cold and etc.")
Rules Clarification : Dispel (Edit)
- Because Dispel causes spells to expire on a hit, it will prevent spells that trigger on a hit from triggering at all.
- For instance, the defensive animus Spiny Growth causes any model that hits the target to suffer d3 damage. This damage will not occur if it's hit by a Dispel weapon.
Rules Clarification : Warjack (Edit)
- Please refer to the Warjack page for a recap of the warjack rules, and the very few associated Infernal Rulings.
Rules Clarification : Construct - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Bond (Edit)
- Bonds are ineffective while the model is under your opponent's control. Refer the core rulebook.
- A warjack/warbeast with a bond can be taken in theme forces whether or not the theme allows them, but only when they're in taken their bonded caster's battlegroup. Refer the core rulebook.
Rules Clarification : Sacred Ward and/or Spell Ward (Edit)
- Sacred/Spell Warded models can still be affected by spells. For instance, CTRL area spells, AOE that deviate, and/or sprays that target a nearby non-warded model.
Rules Clarification : Spirit Harvester (Edit)
- A warjack cannot go over its normal focus limit (which is 3 for most jacks) as a result of Spirit Harvester. Refer to the Cortex rules.
Rules Clarification : Arcane Vortex (Edit)
- Arcane vortex can be used to counter spells with "Range: Self". (Infernal Ruling)
- Some spells do not have a target, mostly CTRL area spells (such as Siege's Foxhole) but also some (★ Action) (such as Ragman's Death Field). These cannot be cancelled by Arcane Vortex.
- The "Cost" for non-warcaster models includes stuff like "using your special action" or "killing a Mind Bender Drudge."
- Arcane Vortex vs Primal Shock (Edit)
- The warbeast that is chosen as the point of origin can not be negated by Arcane Vortex.
- The "target a model within 8 inches" is the part that can be negated by arcane vortex.
- There are some other parts that the Infernals are currently checking.
- (Infernal Ruling)