|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Ruin is a blend of engineering and black magic, an unsettling fusion that has resulted in a malevolently aware machine. Ruin’s scarred chassis is festooned with powerful Orgoth relics that possess a willful hunger to harvest souls and whisper incomprehensibly directly into the warjack’s cortex. Orsus Zoktavir has been entrusted to exploit Ruin as a weapon for the Motherland, whatever the cost.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Armored Fist - 1" reach, P+S 16 melee weapon.
- Black Iron Mace - 2" reach, P+S 18 melee weapon.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Bond [Butcher] - If this model begins the game in Butcher's battlegroup, it is bonded to them. This model is not considered to be bonded while under your opponent's control. While this model is bonded to Butcher and in their CTRL range, Boundless Charge. (Boundless Charge - During its activation, this model can charge without spending focus and gains +2" movement and Pathfinder when it charges.)
- Sacred Ward - This model can't be targeted by enemy spells.
- Soul Taker: Spirit Harvester - This model can gain soul tokens. When a living enemy model is destroyed within 5" of this model, this model gains the destroyed model's soul token. This model can have up to five soul tokens at any time. At the start of this model's activation, you can remove soul tokens from this model to give it 1 focus point for each token removed.
- Arcane Vortex - Can negate spells targeting nearby models by spending a Soul token. The negated spell's COST is still paid.
Thoughts on Ruin
Comparison to Mk2
No real change
Ruin in a nutshell
Ruin is a capable melee beatstick, with focus on anti-magic. Plus he's Butcher's best bud, and enjoys a nice bond-bonus. His price is very favourable for a heavy, and thanks to Power up plus Spirit Harvester, he can function nearly autonomous, if you can provide him with some souls. Additionally, for a relatively slow warjack faction, his 2" Reach is awesome, especially since he's the cheapest Reach warjack. MAT 8, 2" Reach and magic immunity means it's a good jack to take even without Butcher.
Combos & Synergies
- Butcher for obvious reasons.
- Vlad1 and Kommander Oleg Strakhov usually get merit out of Ruin on the sole account of it being a Juggernaut with more melee range.
- Run Ruin up near some infantry, then reap their souls with Widowmakers to fill up his Spirit Harvester.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- He loses a lot of mobility without Butcher.
- He's a character jack. That means everyone wants to kill him. He's your second cheapest character though, so can draw fire from more valuable targets.
- If there's not a lot of magic, some of his potential is wasted, and you still pay the cost.
Tricks & Tips
- Under Butcher, purposely failing a charge puts Ruin 1" further up the board than running would. Especially practical for terrain, due to pathfinder.
This entry can be found in Warmachine: Reckoning (2015)
Theme Forces this is a member of
When taken in the Butcher's battlegroup, this model can be taken in:
Themes for any-and-all bonded 'jacks (Edit)
- Winter Guard Kommand - (Article) (Category)
- Jaws of the Wolf - (Article) (Category)
- Legion of Steel - (Article) (Category)
- Armored Korps - (Article) (Category)
- Wolves of Winter (Article) (Category)
When taken in someone else’s battlegroup, this model can’t be taken in theme forces.
Other faction models
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)