Mercenary Character Heavy Warjack
An old warjack that has served the Damiano family for generations, Rocinante takes to the field once more alongside the Steelhead Captain Amador Damiano. Amador's appearance is blurred to Rocinante, and as far as it's concerned, he is none other than the same Damiano who was the first to take it under his control. Rocinante has developed a few quirks over the years, one being an interest in children, and another being its 'watch dog' attitude toward anyone who appears remotely hostile toward Damiano. The warjack protects its allies while laying about with its weaponry amidst the enemy.
Weapons and Attacks
- Cannon - 14" range, POW 14, AOE 4 gun.
- Battle Blade - 2" reach, P+S 18 melee weapon.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Bond: (Damiano) - If this model begins the game in Damiano's battlegroup, it is bonded to them. This model is not considered to be bonded while under your opponent's control. While this model is bonded to Damiano and in their CTRL range, Quick Work (Quick Work - When this model destroys one or more enemies with a melee attack during its Combat Action, immediately afterwards it can make a free basic ranged attack.)
- Defensive Strike - Once per turn, when an enemy enters and ends their movement in this model's melee range, it may make one basic melee attack against it.
- Guard Dog - While this model is within 3" of its warlock/warcaster and isn't knocked down or stationary, its warlock/warcaster gains Parry and +2 DEF against melee attack rolls, and models attacking the warcaster do not gain back strike bonuses.
- Tried & True - If this model would be repaired, it repairs 1 extra HP.
Thoughts on Rocinante
Rocinante in a nutshell
Rocinante is a Nomad who's replaced his buckler with a better gun than the Mule carries (although no crit effect) and has MAT 7, RAT 6 plus a couple defensive abilities. He is roughly comparable to and arguably worse than a Cygnaran Defender but costs 2 points more. He is probably valued at 2-3 points more than he's worth and may be the worst character warjack in the game.
Combos & Synergies
- Captain Damiano gives it Quick Work, allowing it to shoot its AoE deep.
- Magnus the Warlord gives it Unyielding, making up for its low toughness. It stays near him most of the time allowing him to mix Guard Dog with his Escort spell to make him hard to assassinate.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Expensive for a heavy warjack.
- With a Khadoran level defense and nothing resembling a shield (so Cygnaran level ARM) it's easy to kill or cripple.
- The Mariner does its job just fine for much less.
- Overpriced warjacks struggle in Mercenaries where the mantra is normally "Quantity is a quality all of its own"
Tricks and Tips
- Fire until you want to walk Rocinante into melee. He's still doing work when he's shooting and won't survive in a brawl. Fortunately if he walks into combat and beats the enemy with the Battle Blade the enemy will probably not survive.
Rocinante is the name of the comedic protagonist knight's horse in Miguel de Cervantes' novel, Don Quixote.
Rocin means "old horse"; the -ante prefix means, literally, "prior", and has the connotation "better than". Essentially the Knight was trying to give the horse a name that meant something like "superhorse" or "expert horse", but ended up with a name that most people would take to mean "nearly dead horse".
Having the warjack named after Rocinante implies the warjack's control is like Quixote; A crazy old man living in a romantic dream, and purhaps drawing others into his dream.
How can I include this model in my army?
A mercenary warjack must be controlled by a mercenary controller. Thus, to include it in a non-Mercenary force you must first find a controller that works for your faction.
To include this mercenary warjack in your army, it must be controlled by one of the following warcasters or marshals. Thus, to include this jack you first need to find a controller that works for your army.
Theme Forces this is a member of
For a Mercenary warjack to be taken in a Theme Force, not only does the 'jack have to meet the theme criteria but it's controller does too. With that in mind, Rocinante can be taken in:
- The Kingmaker's Army - (Article) (Category) (but only if taken in Damiano's battlegroup)
Other Mercenary models
Rules Clarification : Warjack (Edit)
- Please refer to the Warjack page for a recap of the warjack rules, and the very few associated Infernal Rulings.
Rules Clarification : Bond (Edit)
- Bonds are ineffective while the model is under your opponent's control. Refer the core rulebook.
- Bonds & Themes
- If a warjack/warbeast with a bond is in that caster's battlegroup, they can be taken in any theme force. Refer the core rulebook.
- Exception: Battlegroup Controllers and Lesser Warlocks cannot take their bonded warjacks/warbeasts in theme forces (eg Kharybdis with Aiakos1) because BC & LW are specifically not warcasters/warlocks. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Quick Work (Edit)
- If you're still engaged in melee when Quick Work triggers, you won't be able to make the ranged attack.
- Quick Work specifies "Combat Action" so doesn't work with Impact Attacks or out-of-activation attacks
Rules Clarification : Defensive Strike (Edit)
- If an enemy doesn't stop in your melee range, but continue all the way through it and out the other side, you won't get to make a Defensive Strike.
You will get to make a free strike as per normal, though.
Rules Clarification : Guard Dog (Edit)
- If Rocinante is put under the control of a Jack Marshal then he effectively loses his Guard Dog ability because he does not have a controlling warcaster.
- Simarily, he loses it while under Gastone1's control because Gastone1 is not a warcaster, he's a solo.
Rules Clarification : Tried & True - None yet. (Edit)