|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
An old warjack that has served the Damiano family for generations, Rocinante takes to the field once more alongside the Steelhead Captain Amador Damiano. Amador's appearance is blurred to Rocinante, and as far as it's concerned, he is none other than the same Damiano who was the first to take it under his control. Rocinante has developed a few quirks over the years, one being an interest in children, and another being its 'watch dog' attitude toward anyone who appears remotely hostile toward Damiano. The warjack protects its allies while laying about with its weaponry amidst the enemy.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Rocinante
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Cannon - 14" range, POW 14, AOE 4 gun.
- Battle Blade - 2" reach, P+S 18 melee weapon.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Bond [Damiano] - If this model begins the game in Damiano's battlegroup, it is bonded to them. This model is not considered to be bonded while under your opponent's control. While this model is bonded to Damiano and in their CTRL range, Quick Work (Quick Work - When this model destroys one or more enemy models with a melee attack during its Combat Action, immediately after that attack is resolved this model can make one basic ranged attack.)
- Defensive Strike - Once per turn, when an enemy enters and ends their movement in this model's melee range, it may make one basic melee attack against it.
- Guard Dog - While this model is within 3" of its warlock/warcaster and isn't knocked down or stationary, its warlock/warcaster gains Parry and +2 DEF against melee attack rolls, and models attacking the warcaster do not gain back strike bonuses.
- Tried & True - If this model would be repaired, it repairs 1 extra HP.
Thoughts on Rocinante
Rocinante in a nutshell
Rocinante is a Nomad who's replaced his buckler with a better gun than the Mule carries (although no crit effect) and has MAT 7, RAT 6 plus a couple defensive abilities. He is roughly comparable to and arguably worse than a Cygnaran Defender but costs 2 points more. He is probably valued at 2-3 points more than he's worth and may be the worst character warjack in the game.
Combos & Synergies
- Captain Damiano gives it Quick Work, allowing it to shoot its AoE deep.
- Magnus the Warlord gives it Unyielding, making up for its low toughness. It stays near him most of the time allowing him to mix Guard Dog with his Escort spell to make him hard to assassinate.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Very overpriced. Compare him to Triumph at the same price. It's a joke.
- With a Khadoran level defense and nothing resembling a shield (so Cygnaran level ARM) it's easy to kill or cripple.
- The Mariner does its job just fine for much less.
- Only really usable with Damiano due to theme force restrictions on character warjacks.
Tricks and Tips
- Fire until you want to walk Rocinante into melee. He's still doing work when he's shooting and won't survive in a brawl. Fortunately if he walks into combat and beats the enemy with the Battle Blade the enemy will probably not survive.
- Rocinante is the name of the comedic protagonist knight's horse in Miguel de Cervantes' novel, Don Quixote.
- Rocin means "old horse"; the -ante prefix means, literally, "prior", and has the connotation "better than". Essentially the Knight was trying to give the horse a name that meant something like "superhorse" or "expert horse", but ended up with a name that most people would take to mean "nearly dead horse".
- Having the warjack named after Rocinante implies the warjack's control is like Quixote; A crazy old man living in a romantic dream, and purhaps drawing others into his dream.
Who can control this warjack
To include this mercenary warjack in your army, it must be controlled by one of the following warcasters or marshals. Thus, to include this jack you first need to find a controller that works for your army.
Note: The Vanguard and Toro could also be controlled by a Crucible Guard battlegroup controller.
|Mercenary 'Jack Controllers (Edit)|
|Warcasters||Ashlynn - Caine3 - Captain Bart - Captain Damiano - Gastone2 - Captain Shae - Macbain - Constance - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
|Marshals||Colbie Sterling - Dirty Meg - Raluk Moorclaw - Rutger Shaw - Sam & the Devil Dogs|
If Rocinante is taken in Damiano's battlegroup then he can be taken in:
If he is taken in anyone else's battlegroup, he can't be taken in a theme force.
Other Mercenary models