Retribution Mage Hunter Warcaster
Ravyn stands as a beacon of hope within a sect consumed by an apocalyptic vision of the future. Off the field she possesses a calm and pious wisdom. In battle some believe her to be invincible. She takes no joy in killing, but neither does she shirk from it. When Scyrah is restored, the warcaster plans to embrace peace as readily as she now welcomes war. Ravyn is seen as a fighting embodiment of the righteousness of the Retribution’s holy cause.
- Hellebore - 12" range, POW 12, ROF 1 ranged weapon
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon can damage incorporeal models.
- Blaster - When this model makes an attack with this weapon, before the attack roll it can spend 1 focus point to give the attack a 3" AOE. All models hit suffer a POW 12 blast damage roll.
- Blade - 2" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon can damage incorporeal models.
- Thresher (★ Attack) - Make a simultaneous melee attack against each model within its LOS and within melee range of this weapon.
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- Dual Attack - This model can make both melee and ranged attacks in the same activation. When this model makes its initial melee attacks or a power attack, it can also make its initial ranged attacks. This model can make ranged attacks even while in melee.
- Quick Work - When this model destroys one or more enemies with a melee attack during its Combat Action, immediately afterwards it can make a free basic ranged attack.
- Swift Hunter - When you destroy a model with a basic ranged attack this model can immediately advance 2".
- Eliminator - Medium ranged small AOE magic attack that allows the spellcaster to move a short distance for each model destroyed by the attack.
- Locomotion - Spellcaster can spend up to 3 focus when casting. Target warjack in battlegroup can move 2" for each point spent.
- Snipe - Upkeep spell, target model/unit's ranged weapons gain +4 RNG.
- Veil of Mists - Cost 2, Upkeep
- Place a 4" AOE cloud effect anywhere completely within the spellcaster's control range. 1) This AOE does not block friendly Faction models' LOS. 2) While in the AOE, friendly Faction models gain Pathfinder and 3) they can move through obstructions and other models if they have enough movement to move completely past them.
Feat : Firestorem
Friendly Faction models gain boosted ranged attack rolls and Swift Hunter (as above) while in Ravyn's control range.
Thoughts on Ravyn, Eternal Light
Ravyn, Eternal Light in a nutshell
Ravyn is a ranged support caster who loves to squeeze and pull at her big and sexy guns! Get your heads out of the gutters and realize the potential she has to make anything a long range threat. Her downside is she relies on her army almost too much. Plus without the early first turn or two advantage of range and softening up her opponent she is sure to fall.
Maximising her Feat & Spells
Typical Army & Strategy
Her main method of winning is ...Placeholder.
For example: "using her feat turn to get a melee/ranged/spell assassination" "attrition then win on scenario" "board control then win on scenario" "sending a jack in, to beat the enemy warcaster's face into pulp" "etc"
- Arcantik Force Generator - This word combination is absolutely terrifying with Ravyn. So here is the lowdown, 14" range weapon check, if it aims it and any other friendly jack within two inches gains, you guessed it +2" range on their guns, oh you thought I was done? You would be wrong, add Ravyn's snipe spell to add another +4" to the range and you have a grand total of 20" range weapon. And no still not done, while aiming the AFG can fire twice and has a 4" AOE that leaves rough terrain. So recap 20" range 4" AOE weapon that can create rough terrain. If you go first with Ravyn you will cripple your oppenents army . . . unless their using Circle, then your doomed.
- Houseguard Riflemen - Long range, CRA, Can shoot into melee, these guys have it good and work well with Ravyn's kit including her feat which you will probably use to soften up your opponent from a really good distance.
- Dawnguard Invictors - So the AFG has scary range . . . Invictors are scarier with Ravyn. The invictores can mini feat (Giving them snipe) and assult charge to get a shot off of 22" range after which if you want you can replace these guys with the riflemen as after her snipe is on them they have the same range weapons with higher damage output.
- Dawnguard Destors - Great thing about the destors is that they give Ravyn something she doesn't have in her setup and that's melee power. The destors hit hard and reliably (getting auto boosted attack rolls) they assult and shoot reliably (like invictors on horses) and they have gunfighter, decent armor (add a solo for more) they are a wonderful self sustaining unit that keeps you around if baddies get too close.
- Hyperion - So the strongest weapon in the game only has a range of 10" now add it to a range booster list with ravyn . . . yeah POW 18 with 5" AOE and critical consume can (with all the right elements) reach a range of 16". Be afraid, be very afraid.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Ravyn cannot go toe to toe with much anything in close combat so keep her safe or she will most likely die.
- She is very much a placeholder for her army.
- There isn't many lists that she can run outside of a shooting one.
- If she does happen to go fisty cuffs hope its only single wound models or she might struggle.
Tricks and Tips
- To maximise your Quick Work attacks, try to charge into a group of knocked down enemies (so that you're not engaged) then buy individual attacks (rather than Thresher). Because Thresher would only trigger it once, regardless of how many you kill.
Themes for any-and-all casters (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Magical Damage (Edit)
- The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon such as arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
- All spells have "Damage Type: Magical" (refer latest errata).
- If a weapon/spell includes Magic Damage and another kind of elemental damage it can still damage Incorporeal models. They're not affected by the rule "if an attack does multiple types of damage and a model is immune to at least one it is immune to the entire attack.
The phrase "immune to non-magical damage" should be intrepreted as "immune to damage that doesn't include Damage Type: Magical" (not as "has immunity to Corrosion and Electricity and Cold and etc.")
Rules Clarification : Dual Attack (Edit)
- There is no penalty for shooting an enemy you are in melee with, however if you miss it must still be re-rolled vs a new random target.
- If the new random target is a friendly it will get the DEF bonus, since you can't be in melee with friendlies.
- You can target a model they are not in melee with with a ranged attack. (Infernal Ruling)
- Dual Attack & Drag ( Edit )
- This is pretty-much limited to just the Prime Axiom under Syntherion
- If you charge model A then utilise Dual Attack to make a ranged attack vs the same model, then you would get the free melee attack from Drag. The Drag attack is a charge attack. (Infernal Ruling)
- If you charge model A then utilise Dual Attack to make a ranged attack vs a different model, then you would lose the free melee attack from Drag. Your first melee attack must be versus the charge target, and you cannot save the Drag attack for later. (Infernal Ruling)
- If you didn't charge then ... just go nuts. There's no restrictions that I know of.
Rules Clarification : Quick Work (Edit)
- If you're still engaged in melee when Quick Work triggers, you won't be able to make the ranged attack.
- Quick Work specifies "Combat Action" so doesn't work with Impact Attacks or out-of-activation attacks
Rules Clarification : Swift Hunter (Edit)
- Swift Hunter must be resolved before other abilities that involve attacks (such as Quick Work). Refer Step 12 vs 14 in the Attack Sequence appendix.
- Swift Hunter does not trigger off special ranged attacks, only basic ones.
Rules Clarification : Eliminator (Edit)
- The advance you get is a single advance, not a series of 2" advances. As such, it only triggers "ends movement" abilities (such as Countercharge) once.
Rules Clarification : Locomotion (Edit)
- You can not cast this spell with 0 focus and advance 0" (change facing).
- The advance will trigger free strikes, counter charges, etc.
- Colossals cannot move via Energizer.
Rules Clarification : Snipe (Edit)
- Although Snipe the spell and Snipe the Attack Type are two different "sources", they are multiple instances of the same effect. As such, they're not cumulative. Refer to the "Rule Priority" section of the core rulebook.
- Snipe does not affect the range of weapons that use the Spray template, or one's which have RNG = CTRL.
Rules Clarification : Veil of Mists (Edit)
- Friendly models can draw LOS through the cloud, but not through things in the cloud. For instance, if you place the Veil over a forest then the forest still blocks LOS. (Infernal Ruling)
- You only need to "toe" the AOE to gain the Pathfinder and "move through" benefits.
- If you're in the AOE, you can move through any model, not just other ones in the AOE. If you're not in the AOE, you can't move through anything even if they're in the AOE. Refer the Veil of Mists page for some diagram examples.
- Unlike most "move through" abilities, Veil of Mists is not limited to just voluntary advances. It also allows involuntary movement (such as being pushed, slammed, or thrown).
- Pathfinder (Edit) - Pathfinder doesn't apply to involuntary movement (i.e. when you're pushed or slammed).