Rules Clarification : Ranking Officer (Edit)
- If a Ranking Officer with its own subtype joins a unit then that unit doesn't become the same subtype.
For example, if Murdoch, who is a Trencher model, joins a mercenary unit that will not make that merc unit a "Trencher unit". Refer the final paragraph of 'Game Terms, Model Names & Rules References'.
- A Ranking Officer can join a Weapon Crew unit, even though one model is on a large base, due to them having the Man-Sized rule. (Infernal Ruling)
- Models added to the merc unit after the game starts are also friendly faction (ie Alexia1 adding Risen).
- You cannot attach more than one CA to a unit.
- The Ranking Officer benefits from any Granted or Tactics that the 'normal' officer hands out (such as Nyss Hunters giving Hunter).
- Unlike a normal Officer, a Ranking Officer cannot issue special orders that the unit has but he does not (such as the High Shield's "Shield Wall" order).
This means you can't use that order at all until the Ranking Officer dies, but once he's dead it's fine to use.
- If your theme allows a Merc and its attachments, then you can attach a Ranking Officer. This is true regardless of what the theme's "Allowed models" are. (Infernal Ruling)
- If you do attach the Ranking Office, that Merc unit will count towards your "X points of [Faction] models/units" benefit (if your theme is worded that way). (Infernal Ruling)
- Ranking Officer death
- The merc unit will immediately lose any friendly faction "auras" (such as Stryker's +5 ARM feat).
- The merc unit will keep any spells that were cast on them specifically, until that spell naturally expires. You can pay to maintain a faction-only upkeep on the mercs, for example.
- If the merc unit was handing out a buff to 'friendly Faction' models, that buff will immediately 'swap factions' too.
For instance, if Lady Aiyana casts Kiss of Lyliss it will affect models that are currently the same faction as her, not whatever was friendly at the time of casting. (Infernal Ruling)
- 'Jack Marshal & Ranking Officer (Edit)
- If a Ranking Officer joins a unit with the 'Jack Marshal ability, then they can still only take Mercenary warjacks - they don't gain access to Faction warjacks. (Infernal Ruling)
- They can control that mercenary warjack as normal, even though they're technically no longer the same faction as the jack. (Infernal Ruling)