Cunning and resourceful, Rangers are elite troops trained to blend into the terrain and mark enemy targets for Cygnaran gunners. Equipped with an array of signal gear and detailed maps, Rangers can blaze trails for friendly units and even bring them into the battle far behind the enemy’s lines.
This model's rules are currently under development
This is a existing model, and the information here is the rules it had before the CID cycle. If you wish to document the CID changes before they're finalised, please do so under the Recent Changes heading.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Military Rifle - 10" range, POW 11 gun.
- Knife - 0,5" range, P+S 7 melee weapon
- Advance Deployment - Models with advance deployment are placed after normal deployment and may be placed up to 6" further forward.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Mark Target - While this model is in formation, other friendly Faction models gain +2 to ranged attack rolls if they target an enemy within 5" of this model and in its LOS.
- Prowl - While concealed this model has stealth.
2017.06 Trencher CID
Thoughts on Rangers
Rangers in a nutshell
Competent fighters who buff the accuracy of other models in the army. They're also fast enough to surprise the enemy and jam them thanks to their good DEF.
Combos & Synergies
- Pretty much any Friendly Faction model with a ranged weapon.
- They're great for really helping assassination runs with Captain Allister Caine or Captain Kara Sloan.
- Put a ranger near an enemy target, then use a Gun Mage Captain Adept to apply a Flare shot to the target - Ta da! +4 to hit.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- They die easily to blast damage
- They aren't that useful in an ARM-heavy metagame.
Tricks & Tips
- A ranger model now has to be in formation to make use of Mark Target. So although you can't just run any single trooper out to mark an enemy, you can just send the leader instead (since the leader is always in formation). You won't mind if the leader dies since the field promotion should put the rest of the unit back into formation.
- They buff each other's RAT. Get the unit in close to another unit, and you can fire at RAT 8 at point blank range.
=Notable changes from Mk2
Models must now be in formation to grant Mark Target.
Camouflage no longer exists, so they're a little easier to hit.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Superiority (2006)
Other Cygnar models