Mercenary Minion Trollkin Character Solo
The mechanik known as Raluk Moorclaw has a knack for fixing complex machinery, but his heart hungers for combat. His appetite for violence led him to embrace the life of a mercenary, where he applies his mechanikal talents to maintaining and commanding warjacks and willingly throws himself into combat alongside them, battle axe in hand.
- Slug Gun - 4" range, POW 14 gun.
- Battle Axe - 1" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon.
- Minion - Works as a Trollblood minion.
- Mercenary - Works as a Cryx mercenary, Cygnar mercenary, and Khador mercenary.
- Assault - This model may make a ranged attack as part of its charge.
- 'Jack Marshal - All 'jack marshals share the same set of special rules, which basically amount to: This model is not a warcaster but may control a warjack.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Drive : Assault - When a warjack under this model's control begins a charge while in its CMD range, the warjack gains Assault for that charge.
- Iron Sentinel - While B2B with a friendly Faction warjack, this model gains +2 DEF and ARM and cannot become knocked down.
- Mechanikally Adept - Can repair things of any faction.
- Repair [d6] (★ Action) - This model can remove d6 damage points from a friendly Faction construct model in B2B.
Thoughts on Raluk
Raluk in a nutshell
Moorclaw is a jack marshal who can repair constructs, no matter what faction he is with. He also works best with warjacks with guns because he gives them Assault.
Combos & Synergies
- Other than the Gobber Tinker both Minions and Trollbloods are extremely short of models with repair (although it should be said that, unless one is running the War Wagon, Trollbloods have no need of repair).
Thoughts on Warjacks to Marshal
- If taken with Magnus1 in the Irregulars theme, he can marshal a Rover with Magnus's Iron Aggression spell that will Assault for free and make four boosted Flank attacks at MAT 8 and +2 POW.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- If he's not running the Rover with Magnus1, he's a below-average 'jack marshal and expensive as mechanics go. You could get 2 Gobber Tinkers for the same price.
- His gun is short ranged and he has to play forward.
- Although he can be taken in many themes under the generic "Up to one mercenary/minion solo" allowance, this generic clause does not allow him to bring a warjack. You need a specifically worded theme (such as The Thornfall Alliance) to do that.
Tricks & Tips
- He may have tough, but he isn't that tough; while his 'jack is in play it is best to keep him safe and make the occasional repair or potshot.
Released in Warmachine: Vengeance (2014)
Other Faction models
Rules Clarification: : Assault (Edit)
Warning: This is a long one.
Step 1: Declare the charge
- Are you in already melee? With any enemy, not just your charge target?
- If yes, you don't get an Assault attack at all (Refer to the latest Errata). Instead it's just a normal charge.
- If no, continue to Step 2.
- Note: You cannot be "in melee" with a stationary/knocked down target. Feel free to declare charges (and Assault shots) in this case.
- You can even charge a knocked down model you're in B2B with, advance 0", and get your ranged attack and your melee attack(s).
Step 2: Move the charging model
- As soon as the movement is finished, determine whether it was a successful charge or not.
- Do this before resolving anything that triggers on "Ends Movement" (like Admonition, Countercharge).
- Do this before resolving your Assault attack.
- Did you make a successful charge? You get the ranged attack even though you're "in melee". Refer to the latest Errata.
- Did you fail the charge? You still get the Assault shot anyway.
- Did you fail the charge, but end your movement in melee with someone different to your charge target? You get the ranged attack even though you're "in melee". Refer to the latest Errata and also this (Infernal Ruling)
- Now that you've figured out whether the charge successful, you (or your opponent) can trigger "Ends Movement" effects.
- Nothing that happens from this point onwards will retroactively change a failed charge into a successful charge, or vice versa.
- If your charge was successful you may use "any time" abilities between 'finishing movement' and 'starting Assault attack'. (Infernal Ruling) This is a reversal of an earlier ruling.
- If you fail your charge, you may not use "any time" abilities before or after making the Assault attack. (Infernal Ruling)
The Infernal Ruling dictates that Assault is not a "triggered ability" (since if it was, you wouldn't be able to cast a spell between ending movement and using your Assault shot).
Thus Assault will never occur simultaneously with another ability that triggers/resolves at "ends movement". Instead, the other ability is always resolved before the Assault shot
Step 3: Make the ranged attack
- The ranged attack is optional.
- Since the Assault attack is outside your Combat Action, you can only do a basic ranged attack. CRA & Special ranged attacks are only allowed during your Combat Action, you can't do them. (Infernal Ruling)
- Did you move at least 3" during the charge movement? Who cares, that is irrelevant to the Assault attack!
- Make your ranged attack vs your charge target
- If the charge target is already dead (which can happen when units charge) then you don't get to redirect your Assault attack vs 'someone else'. You simply don't get an Assault attack. (Infernal Ruling)
- A model which can do something "instead of making a ranged attack" (such as the Spriggan's Targeting Flare) then they can do that as an Assault attack. (Infernal Ruling)
- If your ranged attacks triggers other attacks/damage that occur "after the attack" (such as Drag or Electro Leap) then those will resolve as per normal, regardless of whether you had a successful charge or not. (Infernal Ruling)
- Is the target in melee with the shooter?
- If yes, then you ignore the +4 DEF bonus (as per the 3rd paragraph of "Targeting a Model in Melee" (TMM) rules)
- If no, resolve the ranged attack exactly the same as if it were a normal ranged attack.
Step 4: If you miss
- If you miss the target, and the target is not in melee with you, then resolve it the same way as a normal ranged attack.
- If you miss the target, and the target is in melee with you, then ...
- Randomly reassign the shot (as per the TMM rules) (nothing in Assault says it ignores this).
- Do not include the shooting model in potential 'randomees' (because you can't target yourself as per the 4th paragraph of TMM) but do include models the shooter is in melee with (as per the TMM rules).
- If the shot is randomly reassigned to a friendly model, then they will always get the +4 DEF bonus. The only way to ignore that bonus is if the 'point of origin of the attack is in melee with the target' and you can never be in melee with a friendly model.
Step 5: After finishing the Assault attack
- If it was an unsuccessful charge, your activation now ends.
- If it was a successful charge, and your charge target is ...
- still alive, then you get your charge attack (as per the charge rules)
- dead, then you get your initial melee attack(s) vs anyone still in your melee range (as per the charge rules).
- Either way, you don't get to make more ranged attacks (other than the obvious exceptions like Gunfighter, of course).
- Move all models in the unit before making any Assault attacks. (Infernal Ruling)
- Make all Assault attacks before making any Charge attacks. (Infernal Ruling)
- Each model in the unit is effectively "stalled" while you move/shoot the other models. This "stall" does not create an opportunity to use "any time" abilities. (Infernal Ruling)
- If a trooper's target dies before they make their Assault shot, they don't get to redirect it. You just skip their Assault shot. (Infernal Ruling)
- You cannot make Assault attacks while out of formation, as per the regular formation rules about making attacks.
- Assault & CRA (Edit)
- You cannot mix Combined Range Attacks with Assault shots, as CRA works during your combat action and Assault shots occur before it. (Infernal Ruling)
- Warbeasts cannot use Assault during a Frenzy. Refer to the latest errata.
- Assault vs Countercharge ( Edit )
- With reference to the Activation Timing (Apdx A), Countercharge occurs at Step 5, and Assault occurs at Step 5 for independent models and Step 6 for units. (Infernal Ruling about the Step 6)
- So, if a model with Assault finishes its charge movement within range of a model with Countercharge then...
- If it's an independent model then you need to resolve the Assault shot before making the Countercharge move. This is because both abilities occur at the same time but active player effects are resolved first.
- But if it's a model belonging to a unit, then you need to resolve the Countercharge immediately, then finish moving the rest of the unit, then start Assault shots.
- Assault & Drag ( Edit )
- You determine whether a charge was successful or not before making the Assault attack.
- If you make an unsuccessful charge but then use Drag to get your charge target into melee range, then:
- It is still a failed charge and your activation is going to end after the Assault attack is resolved. (Infernal Ruling)
- You will get the free melee attack from Drag as part of resolving the Assault ranged attack. (Infernal Ruling)
- Whether or not your charge was successful, this free melee attack is not a charge attack. (Infernal Ruling)
- You won't be able to purchase additionals (because your activation ended).
Rules Clarification : 'Jack Marshal (Edit)
- Marshals can take character jacks (unlike in Mk2). (Closed thread)
- Although they never get the Power Up bonus, a marshaled warjack can gain focus via other means (such as Accumulator, Empower, Spirit Harvester, etc).
- They can do this even after the Marshal dies and they become autonomous (unlike in Mk2).
- 'Jack Marshal & Ranking Officer (Edit)
- If a Ranking Officer joins a unit with the 'Jack Marshal ability, then they can still only take Mercenary warjacks - they don't gain access to Faction warjacks. (Infernal Ruling)
- They can control that mercenary warjack as normal, even though they're technically no longer the same faction as the jack. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Tough - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Drive (Edit)
- If the Drive is on an Officer model, and that model dies, then the new unit commander does not inherit the Drive.
Rules Clarification : Iron Sentinel - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Repair (Edit)
- When repairing warjacks, you can choose which damage boxes to heal - they don't all have to be the same column.