Ragnor Skysplitter, the Runemaster
Ragnor Skyplitter, once a reclusive scholar studying the mystical lore of his people on the top of Wyrmwall Mountains, has found himself standing ground against the enemies of the Kriel, even if it means standing besides his rival Hoarluk Doomshaper, both of which have had long standing disagreements about how to best harness the knowledge of the scrolls they research. While Doomshaper wants to use this knowledge as a weapon against humanity, Ragnor sees it as a way to preserve the very lore they could use against others.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Ragnor1
- 3 Other
|Ragnor Skysplitter, the Runemaster|
Weapons and Attacks
- Rumbler - 1" RNG, P+S 14 melee weapon
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon can damage incorporeal models.
- Warhead - On direct hit, you can center a 4" AOE on the target. All models except the attacker are hit and suffer a POW 10 blast damage roll. This damage is not considered to be from an attack. Also, on a critical hit, models in the AOE become knocked down.
- Warlock - All warlocks come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Steady - This model can't be knocked down.
- Earth's Sanctuary - Cost 1, 6" range
- Target friendly Faction model becomes Dug In. (Dig In - This model gains cover, immunity to blast damage, and stops blocking LOS. It retains this until it moves or is engaged.)
- Hex Blast - Cost 3, 10" range, 3" AOE, POW 13
- On a direct hit, enemy upkeeps and animi on the target expire.
- Pulverizer - Cost 3,6" range, Upkeep
- Target friendly model gains +2 STR and Beat Back on its melee weapons. (Beat Back - Immediately after a basic attack with this weapon is resolved during this model's Combat Action, the enemy model hit can be pushed 1" directly away from the attacking model. After the enemy model is pushed, the attacking model can advance up to 1" directly towards it.')
- Shockwave - Cost 3, 10" range, POW 14
- On a direct hit, center a 4" AOE on the target. Models in the AOE become knocked down.
Feat: Stone's Fortitude
While in Ragnor's control range, friendly Faction models suffer one less die from enemy damage rolls for one round. Note this does not apply towards Continuous Effects damage rolls, or non-attack damage rolls.
Thoughts on Ragnor1
Ragnor Skysplitter, the Runemaster in a nutshell
Ragnor is a support caster who can empower both warbeasts and infantry and makes for the individually physically toughest trollblood lists around. He (unlike Madrak Ironhide, Thornwood Chieftain) favours lists with a small model count and (unlike Hoarluk Doomshaper, Dire Prophet) favours warrior-heavy lists over beast lists as his spells are model specific and don't grant unit wide bonuses.
There's a reason he's in the battlebox - and he's great for new players because he lets you take the alpha strike and hit back.
Thoughts on his feat and spells
Feat - Stone's Fortitude - Stone's Fortitude is a solid defensive feat, allowing you to take alpha strikes on the chin. It of course works much better with multi-wound troops as charging infantry will still wreck single wound infantry.
- Earth's Sanctuary is a great one-cost spell that protects individual models. It means that his best armies are small, but is good at protecting models.
- Pulverizer is an excellent damage buff (stacking with Rage from a Dire Troll Mauler) and should be already out when the battle lines meet.
- Hex Blast is as ever as much for utility in upkeep removal as it is for killing things. A zap, but more importantly protecting your army.
- Shockwave is battlefield control.
Typical Strategy & Army
Ragnar's strategy is simple. Take the alpha strike. Then win through attrition.
On turn one he wants to fuel the Krielstone, and run into position (next to a flag, or somewhere he can be of influence during turns two and three). Then the Runebearer proceeds to cast Earth's Sanctuary on himself. As models move up the board, he will usually feat to withstand the alpha strike from the enemy. After that, Ragnor1 will use both Pulverizer and Rage to empower his warbeasts, trying to get the best end of the exchange.
As a brick warlock the Krielstone is near mandatory of course.
Some beasts stand out with him.
- Dire Troll Mauler is great and with Pulverizer and the Stone Scribe Elder allows for a total of 6 points of STR buff.
- Alternatively Rök and Primal is almost as big a swing - and gives a couple of points of MAT.
- Troll Bouncer carries a shield, meaning it's the toughest light beast around.
- Earthborn Dire Troll is the toughest heavy beast around - at least if you have enough terrain on the board. It's also the cheapest heavy.
- Troll Basher is the cheapest Troll light. POW 14, 7 points.
- Ice Troll is the cousin of the Basher but with a ranged attack.
In terms of units he likes high ARM models with multiple wounds. There are only a few of those.
- Long Riders - 8 wound cavalry.
- Trollkin Champions - hard hitting and Sanguine Bond to stay alive.
- Trollkin Warders - very high ARM and very tough. Oh, and Shield Guard.
- Northkin Bear Handler & Battle Bears - Tough, Unyielding, Advance Deploying, hard hitting. (And this of course makes them perfect to be dug in - especially to protect the vulnerable unit leader).
And the solos.
- The Trollkin Runebearer helps compensate for Ragnar's low FURY. Hex Blast and Shockwave are both good to cast.
- Valka Curseborn, Chieftain of the North can get a frankly amazing amount of use out of Pulveriser. Up to five attacks a round that start at POW 12 Weapon Master.
- Trollkin Champion Hero can combine Thresher with Pulveriser.
Ragnor Skysplitter, the Runemaster and theme forces
There are no multi-wound models in Kriel Company so it doesn't really work with Ragnor. But all the other three theme forces can work well.
- Power of Dhunia can work - but doing so with colossals makes you feel like a second rate Doomshaper3. You can do it with heavies - but getting to the 75 point mark for three free things requires Horgle Ironstrike to take a couple of warbeasts and even then it's an offbeat choice and the other two are probably better.
- Band of Heroes is probably the default choice for Ragnor. Trollkin Champions, Long Riders, and Trollkin Warders are all things Ragnor loves - and all things that lead to free points.
- Storm of the North is every bit as good. In this case it's Champs, Long Riders, Northkin Bear Handler & Battle Bears, and Valka Curseborn for good measure.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- As with many defensive feats, he needs careful planning as not to waste it.
- He is also a bit Fury starved, so protecting the Trollkin Runebearer is essential.
Tricks & Tips
- Do not underestimate the power of Earth's Sanctuary, and don't forget it is not an upkeep. Models keep dug in until they move, are placed, or become engaged!
- If used with either the Mountain King, or Glacier King, Ragnor1 can use Earth's Sanctuary to give them Dig In. Although they won't benefit from cover, because of Gargantuan rules, they will stop blocking LoS. Remember this work boths ways, which means enemies will be able to draw LoS to you as well!
- Pulverizer is one of the few warcaster/warlock spells in the game that targets "friendly model" not "friendly faction model" - as a result it is possible to have access to P+S 23 Snapjaw (Wrong Eye with Blackhide Wrastler) which is probably more "cute" than "good".
Ragnor is the Mk3 battlebox warlock.
Themes for any & all warlocks (Edit)
- Band of Heroes - (Article) (Category)
- Kriel Company - (Article) (Category)
- Power of Dhunia - (Article) (Category)
- Storm of the North (Article) (Category)
Other Trollbloods Models
|Warlocks||Bloody Barnabas - Calaban - Helga - Jaga-Jaga - Lord Carver - Maelok - Midas - Rask - Sturm & Drang|
Requires a 2+ warlock game
|Other Controllers|| Lesser Warlocks: Brun & Lug - Dahlia & Skarath - Rorsh & Brine - Wrongeye & Snapjaw
|Warjacks & Warbeasts||The minion battlegroup members you can include in a Trollblood army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what minions it can control.|
|Minion Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Bog Trog Ambushers - Croak Raiders - Bone Grinders - Brigands - Commandos - Razorback Crew - Slaughterhousers - Bokur & Swamp Shamblers - Gatorman Posse - Gobber Bellows|
|Solos||Mist Speaker - Bog Trog Trawler - Croak Hunter - Efaarit Scouts - Feralgeist - Witch Doctor - Gobber Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Ogrun Bokur - Gobber Chef - Thrullg - Totem Hunter|
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher|