Ragnor Skysplitter, the Runemaster
Fluff blurb (Copy from PP)
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Ragnor 1
- 3 Other
|Ragnor Skysplitter, the Runemaster|
Weapons and Attacks
- Rumbler - Medium range, medium power weapon.
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon can damage incorporeal models.
- Warhead - On direct hit, place a medium AOE centered on the target that does an average POW blast damage to other models (blast damage is not considered to be from an attack). A critical hit causes all models under AOE to be knocked down. This model is not effected by Warhead.
- Warlock - All warlocks come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Steady - This model can't be knocked down.
- Earth's Sanctuary - Cheap, short range spell. Target model becomes dug in. (Dig In (★ Action) - This model gains cover, immunity to blast damage, and stops blocking LOS. It retains this until it moves or is engaged.)
- Hex Blast - Average range & POW spell with a small AOE. If it directly hits, upkeeps and animi on the target expire.
- Pulverizer - Medium cost, short range. Grants a small STR bonus and melee weapons gain Beat Back. (Beat Back - Immediately after a basic attack with this weapon is resolved during this model's Combat Action, the enemy model hit can be pushed 1" directly away from the attacking model. After the enemy model is pushed, the attacking model can advance up to 1" directly towards it.)
- Shockwave - Medium cost and range spell, with strong POW. On a direct hit, it centers a medium AoE on target. Models in said AoE become knocked down.
Feat: Stone's Fortitude
While in Ragnor's Control Range, friendly models suffer one less die from enemy damage rolls for one round. Note this does not apply towards Continuous Effects damage rolls, or non-attack damage rolls.
Thoughts on Ragnor 1
Ragnor 1 in a nutshell
Ragnor Skysplitter, the Runemaster (Ragnor1) is a support caster, who can empower both Warbeasts and infantry, albeit to a limited extent. He favors lists with small model count, as his spells are model specific, and do not grant unit wide bonuses. He looks to be more of a scenario/control caster, using his Feat, and Earth's Sanctuary to minimize the damage dealt to his army, denying enemy upkeeps via Hex Blast and, in a pinch, joining the fray himself to use his very decent hammer as well as Shockwave for more battlefield control. He is extremely survivable, as is an all-around solid choice for new players.
Earth's Sanctuary - Very cheap, short range spell that greatly increases Ragnor's survivability, and that of his battlegroup (and possibly other important models like the Krielstone). Note: this is not an upkeep spell, and dug in models remain so until they move, are placed, or become engaged. You can also use this cheap spell to clear LoS, since dug in models do not block LoS.
Pulverizer - Combined with other STR available to Trollbloods, it can potentially make a light beast hit as hard as a heavy.
One particular strategy to note is coupling his Pulverizer animus/spell with Rage for large mount of STR bonus on a Warbeast of choice. Add to that your everyday Krielstone, and just about any heavy Warbeast (or even a light Warbeast for that matter) can do some serious work.
Typical Strategy & Army
Turn one, he wants to fuel the Krielstone, and run into position (next to a flag, or somewhere he can be of influence during turns 2 and 3). Then the Runebearer proceeds to cast Earth's Sanctuary on him. As models move up the board, he will usually Feat to withstand the Alpha Strike from the enemy. After that, Ragnor1 will use both Pulverizer and Rage to empower his Warbeasts, trying to get the best end of the exchange.
Both the Runebearer and a Max Krielstone unit are deemed mandatory. The same case could be made for a Dire Troll Mauler, as it allows the combination of Rage + Pulverize. He also likes Troll Bouncers in his battlegroup, since they provide Shield Guard and are a powerful trading piece, once sent into the fray under Rage + Pulverize.
Drawbacks & Downsides
As with many defensive Feats, he needs careful planning as not to waste it. He is also a bit Fury starved, so protecting the Trollkin Runebearer is essential.
Tricks & Tips
Do not underestimate the power of Earth's Sanctuary, and don't forget it is not an upkeep. Models keep dug in until they move, are placed, or become engaged!
If used with either the Mountain King, or Glacier King, Ragnor1 can use Earth's Sanctuary to give them dig in. Although they won't benefit from cover, because of Gargantuan rules, they will stop blocking LoS. Remember this work boths ways, which means enemies will be able to draw LoS to you as well!
Ragnor is the Mk3 battlebox warlock.
Other Trollbloods Models
|Trollblood - Minion models (Edit)|
|Warlocks|| Bloody Barnabas - Calaban - Helga - Jaga-Jaga - Lord Carver - Maelok - Midas - Rask - Sturm & Drang|
Requires a 2+ warlock game
|Other Controllers|| Lesser Warlocks: Brun & Lug - Dahlia & Skarath - Rorsh & Brine - Wrongeye & Snapjaw
|Warjacks & Warbeasts||The minion battlegroup members you can include in a Trollblood army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what minions it can control.|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Bog Trog Ambushers - Croak Raiders - Bone Grinders - Brigands - Commandos - Razorback Crew - Slaughterhousers - Bokur & Swamp Shamblers - Gatorman Posse - Gobber Bellows|
|Solos||Mist Speaker - Bog Trog Trawler - Croak Hunter - Efaarit Scouts - Feralgeist - Witch Doctor - Gobber Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Ogrun Bokur - Gobber Chef - Thrullg - Totem Hunter|
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher|
|Trollblood - Theme Forces (Edit)|
|Band of Heroes - Power of Dhunia|