The fearsome pyre trolls are able to belch gouts of combustible liquid that ignites in the air, sticks to flesh, and burns at hellish temperatures. After softening foes with blazing spittle, pyre trolls use their thick claws to tear apart their sizzling victims. Even their skin exudes heat, the air around them smoldering with ripples that warn of the inferno to come.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Spew Fire - 10" range, 3" AOE, POW 12 ranged attack
- Claw (x2) - 0.5" reach, P+S 12 melee weapons.
- Warbeast - All warbeasts share a huge stack of special rules. The short version is they're big, furious, and beat stuff up pretty good.
- Immunity: Fire - This model does not suffer fire damage, nor the continuous fire effect.
- It Burns! - Models that hit this model in melee suffer Continuous Fire, unless they destroy or RFP this model with that attack.
- Regeneration [d3] - This model may be forced to heal d3 damage boxes, once per activation. It can't run in the same activation.
2017.07 Northkin CID
- Cost reduced to 8 (from 9)
Thoughts on Pyre Troll
Pyre Troll in a nutshell
He's a good, cheap beast with a very useful animus for increasing your melee damage. While not personally great in melee, he can power attack when necessary, which can prove to be useful in a pinch. His ranged attack, while infinitely inferior to that of the Dire Troll Bomber, is still great for clearing out infantry, especially since it causes Continuous Fire to everyone under the AOE.
Combos & Synergies
- He's a great way of setting Northkin Fire Eaters on fire. Deploy a Whelp in the center with your Fire Eaters in B2B with it, and leave one tiny gap for the Pyre to see and shoot the Whelp.
- Granting Immunity: Fire protects your warlock against some of the nastiest things in the game, like the Harbinger of Menoth's feat and every Legion beast's ranged attack (and Thagrosh2's) with exception of the Nephilim Bolt Thrower.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- With a poor RAT you're going to need to boost to hit, or hope for a good scatter.
- With 10" RNG it is likely that what it fails to destroy with its ranged attack will be able to charge it.
- The Pyre Troll itself doesn't kill an amazing amount - infantry don't bunch up enough.
Tricks & Tips
- Shield Wall infantry keep their ARM bonus for Continuous Fire damage rolls. The POW is still high enough to kill at least some of them during the maintenance phase.
- Send him out in front and force the enemy to deal with him, attacks on him set the enemy on fire. Follow up in the next round after continuous fire effect damage. Try to set fire to the enemy caster, it's very distracting.
Release din Primal Mk1 (2006)
- Kriel Company - (Article) (Category)
- Themes for any-and-all warbeasts (Edit)
Other Trollblood models
|Warlocks||Bloody Barnabas - Calaban - Helga - Jaga-Jaga - Lord Carver - Maelok - Midas - Rask - Sturm & Drang|
Requires a 2+ warlock game
|Other Controllers|| Lesser Warlocks: Brun & Lug - Dahlia & Skarath - Rorsh & Brine - Wrongeye & Snapjaw
|Warjacks & Warbeasts||The minion battlegroup members you can include in a Trollblood army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what minions it can control.|
|Minion Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Bog Trog Ambushers - Croak Raiders - Bone Grinders - Brigands - Commandos - Razorback Crew - Slaughterhousers - Bokur & Swamp Shamblers - Gatorman Posse - Gobber Bellows|
|Solos||Mist Speaker - Bog Trog Trawler - Croak Hunter - Efaarit Scouts - Feralgeist - Witch Doctor - Gobber Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Ogrun Bokur - Gobber Chef - Thrullg - Totem Hunter|
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher|
| See also the Warbeast page for a recap of the core warbeast rules.