Mustered together from disreputable coastal taverns and wharves, the Sea Dogs are motley pirates hungry for spoils. Armed with swords and pistols and barely kept in check by grizzled mates, the Sea Dogs serve any master with sufficient coin. What they lack in training and manners they make up for with frightening bluster and enthusiastic avarice.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Press Gangers
- 3 Other
Weapons and Attacks
Hand Weapon - .5" RNG P+S 9
- Entire Unit
- Mercenary - will work for Cryx, Cygnar, Khador, and the Protectorate
- Advance Deployment - Models with advance deployment are placed after normal deployment and may be placed up to 6" further forward.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Gang - When making a melee attack targeting an enemy model in the melee range of another model in this unit, this model gains +2 to melee attack and melee damage rolls.
- Shanghai - When a living enemy warrior is destroyed by a melee attack from this model while in melee range of another model in the unit, it is RFP'd and you get to add a Grunt to a non-character Sea Dog unit with CMD, including the Press Ganger unit.
- Leader (Lass) only
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Seduction (★ Action) - Take control of a living enemy non-warcaster, non-warlock warrior model B2B with this model. You can immediately make a full advance with the enemy model followed by a basic melee attack, then Seduction expires. The enemy cannot be targeted by free strikes during this movement. A model can be affected by Seduction only once per turn.
Thoughts on Press Gangers
Press Gangers in a nutshell
Do you want a unit that is (a) cheap, (b) tough, and (c) advance deploys?
Press Gangers are a bit of a tarpit unit, and make Sea Dogs (who are a tarpit unit too) even more tar-ry.
Combos & Synergies
Press Gangers are part of the normal Pirate boat and synergies with other Sea Dogs (by giving them more members) as well as Captain Phinneus Shae
- First Mate Hawk more hitting power against warrior models.
- Bosun Grogspar because he prevents them getting knocked down
- Doc Killingsworth 4+ Tough
- Lord Rockbottom - his coins normally go on better models
- Bloody Bradigan gets enabled to beat things up.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- They're great vs infantry - which are few and far between in Mk3.
- Awful stats
- Die to blast damage
Tricks and Tips
- In Mk3 Press Gangers can now add grunts to their own unit. So, split your unit up to "Daisy Chain" more Press Gangers. For instance:
- Send 6 Gangers into 3 enemy models, and 4 Gangers into 4 different enemies.
- When one of the first 6 trigger Shangai, place the new Press Ganger next to one of the other 4 so that he can (potentially) trigger Shangai too.
Changes from Mk2
- Lost a point of ARM
- Lost a point of CMD
- Sculptor: Todd Harris
- Some players like buying models from other factions and converting them with pirate hats to represent people shanghai'd. This is why you occasionally see a Gallows Grove with a pirate hat (or other ridiculous model) as a member of the Sea Dog Boarding Crew.
- Originally released in Pirates of the Broken Coast (2007)
How can I include this Mercenary in my army?
Mercenaries are a bit more complicated than regular faction models, they can be taken in one of three different ways.
- This model can be included in a pure Mercenary army.
- This model can be included in the following Faction armies:
- This model can be included in the following theme forces:
- None yet
Rules Clarification : Press Gangers