Orsus Zoktavir, The Butcher of Khardov
The Butcher is a potent symbol of the consequence of treachery against Empress Ayn Vanar. In the protective casing of his modified suit of steam-powered armor shaped from the hull of a warjack, he is a force of destruction, a one-man wrecking crew. Soldiers across western Immoren cannot purge the vision of the axe-wielding giant from their nightmares: a man become a living personification of warfare and bloodshed.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on The Butcher of Khardov
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Blunderbuss - 8" range, POW 12 gun
- Lola - 2" reach, P+S 16 melee weapon
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Full Throttle - Cost 3
- 1) Warjacks in the caster's battlegroup that start their activation in his control range can run/charge/trample/slam for free. 2) All battlegroup models gain boosted melee attack rolls while in the caster's control range. Lasts one turn.
- Fury - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target friendly Faction warrior model/unit gains +3 to melee damage rolls but suffers -1 DEF.
- Iron Flesh - COST 2, Range 6", Upkeep
- Affected warrior model/unit gains +2 ARM and immunity to blast damage.
- Obliteration - Cost 4, 10" range, 5" AOE, POW 15
- This spell has no special effects. Pure offense.
- Vengeful - Upkeep spell that grants Retaliatory Strike to a faction model. (Retaliatory Strike - Once per turn when an enemy hits this model in melee, it can hit back. Once.)
Feat - Blood Frenzy
While in the Butcher's CTRL range, friendly Faction models gain an additional die on attack damage rolls this turn.
Thoughts on The Butcher of Khardov
Butcher 1 in a nutshell
One of Khador's most iconic casters, and a true melee powerhouse, Butcher 1 is a support caster at heart despite his ability to tear into foes himself. Fury & Iron Flesh are his bread and butter so spread it around to the units/jacks that need it most. He's an easy caster to learn and fun to play.
Feats don't get any simpler than Butcher's.
It does say attack damage rolls, so things like collateral damage won't get the bonus.
Lastly, it's gain a die, not boost, so stuff which "cannot be boosted" will benefit anyway. Like Impact attacks.
- Fury - Not much to talk about; +3 on the damage roll statistically equals a boost. There will rarely be games where you won't cast it on turn 1.
- 'Iron Flesh - Staple Khador infantry buff; beside the ARM increase the best part is about the blast immunity. Use it in conjunction with your inaccurate AoEs to carpet bomb your own lines without fear, especially ones with the Winter Guard Artillery Kapitan's Close Fire action.
- Full Throttle
- The focus burden is heavy, but if your jacks are going to spend at least 3 focus this turn then you'll come out ahead.
- Also excellent if your jacks were disrupted, as they can still charge in for free and with boosted attack rolls.
- Same goes for getting stationary / Knockdown off your jacks - use the Power Up focus to shake the effect during your Maintenance Phase, and then cast this so they can still go to town.
- Obliteration - For all its destructive power, this one is probably the least used spell on your list due to its prohibitive cost.
- Vengeful - You'll hardly have resource for that one, but if you want to send in a melee brawler, this back-up protection comes handy. The abysmal DEF of the Khador jacks will enable it to reliably trigger. Prime targets will be the Juggernaut with its Critical Freeze, or the Destroyer with the Critical Amputation on its axe.
Orsus has several victory conditions. The key to success is to know when to switch between the 3 modes.
- He can win via attrition, by keeping his troops alive via Iron Flesh, and increasing their hitting power through Fury and his feat.
- Thanks to his peerless combat capabilities he is a strong board controlling in himself, which can be used extensively in scenarios. Enemies will rarely risk coming closer when he's in position to retaliate. You still must be wary of assassinations, though.
- His feat makes everything stronger - and seemingly harmless attacks now can have unexpected assassination potential too.
Army - Theme
Full Throttle might want to steer you toward a larger battlegroup, and Jaws is your go-to choice for a warjack-heavy list. However, with Butcher wanting to spend his focus on support duties, you better look for self-sufficient, simple jacks:
- Mad Dog - with Full Throttle it can reliably hit DEF 19 models with trample.
- Marauder - a nice combo strike, which gets all the more accurate with Full Throttle.
- Devastator and Demolisher - both can trample around, or slam, keeping their ARM at max level.
- Juggernaut and Berserker - plain and simple; give it Fury and watch it wreck face.
- Ruin - Bonds with Butcher to give Ruin free Boundless Charge.
- Manhunters and Yuri - It is simply amazing that the put down on the table under his feat with 5 dice to damage on the charge.
- Rager - Butcher is pretty sensitive to ranged damage - use the Rager to screen him, and to Shield Guard shots, like Eyriss' bolts.
- Behemoth - Fully boosted blasts already with Powerful Attack - now why not push it further with the feat?
A forgiving theme for beginners; Orsus protects them via Iron Flesh, and boosts hitting power via Fury, while they protect him from ranged assassinations.
- Normally blast damage would be shrugged off by enemies with ARM avove a certain level, but not on Butcher's feat turn. And this theme is full of blast templates, from the Winter Guard Mortar Crew, through the Gun Carriage, to the Rocketeers of the Rifle Corps/Infantry.
AOEs from the Destroyer, Conquest and Victor can also become deadly.
- Don't forget that the feat bonus also applies to ranged attacks, amping up the damage of Riflemen CRAs.
Iron Fangs are grateful for all the support spells from your arsenal. Under your feat you can conduct quite mighty charge attacks with your Iron Fang Uhlans, just remember to stay in CTRL range while attacking.
- Iron Fang Pikemen - Iron Flesh makes these guys hard to take down especially in Shield Wall; you can also give them Fury to make them crush jacks/beasts
- Black Dragons - With Iron Flesh and Iron Zeal you can form a quite durable defensive line into the middle of the board.
Butcher's feat is a simple damage fix for the normally-unbuffable Doom Reaver Swordsmen and Fenris, and also creates deadly bursts out of the Outriders' sprays. Also, he cannot boost accuracy of his army, so the Greylord's Ice Cages always come in handy.
Though the Man-o-War Drakhun is nothing short of hilarious under your feat, Butcher offers them no movement buff, something they desperately need, so this theme is probably best avoided by Butcher1.
Army - Other
- Sylys - despite his melee prowess Butcher 1 tends to end up in melee less often than his second and third incarnations, so the free upkeep from Sylys can be prefferable to the melee protection the War Dog provides.
- Saxon Orrik - The lack of Pathfinder is a glaring weakness on Butcher1 and 2. Orrik goes a long way of helping him.
- Orin - Stop spells which might mess with the Butcher's SPD.
- Aiyana & Holt - Orsus has only a very expensive spell to deal magical damage at range; Aiyana can help him and his army out
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Lots of upkeep spells make him and his army vulnerable to upkeep-hates, such as Purgation, Lamentation or Purification, Eiryss2, or Eilish.
- Low SPD reduces his personal threat to 10" bubble, and makes him susceptible for SPD de-buffs.
- Despite being one of the toughest casters, he needs screening, which is somewhat difficult with a medium base.
- No speed buff for his army.
Tricks and Tips
- Butcher's feat gives an extra die - you can still boost if you want.
- The bonus from Fury is not a STR buff so, for example, it won't affect the distance you can throw a model.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Prime (2003)
Themes for generic casters (Edit)
- Winter Guard Kommand - (Article) (Category)
- Jaws of the Wolf - (Article) (Category)
- Legion of Steel - (Article) (Category)
- Armored Korps - (Article) (Category)
- Wolves of Winter (Article) (Category)
Other Khador models