Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor
|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Once a senior member of Cygnar's infamous Inquisition, Orin Midwinter has come out of hiding to reclaim his place of power as the noose closes around the country that hunted him. Specialized in hunting spell-casters, Midwinter uses his arcane energy to draw power from enemy wizards, suppress their magic, or simply strike them down with arcs of lightning.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Void Staff - 2" reach, P+S 9 melee weapon.
- Mercenary - Works as a Cryx mercenary, Khador mercenary, and Protectorate of Menoth mercenary
- Minion - Works as a Skorne minion.
- Arcane Vortex - Can negate spells targeting nearby models by spending a power token. The negated spell's COST is still paid.
- Inquisitor's Talisman - Orin starts the game with three power tokens. He can spend them to boost attacks, buy melee attacks, or trigger Arcane Vortex.
- Magic Ability [ 7 ] - This model can use its Combat Action to cast spells. Offensive spells are a (★ Attack) and friendly spells are a (★ Action).
- Chain Lightning (★ Attack) - 10" range, POW 10 magic attack that deals electrical damage. On a hit you get d3 electrical arcs, each hitting the nearest model within 4" of the last model arced to that hasn't already been hit. Lightning arcs ignore this model, are not considered to be from an attack, and all damage is simultaneous.
- Stealth (★ Action) - This model gains stealth for one turn.
Thoughts on Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor in a nutshell
Orin is one of the best solos in the game, point for point. Chain Lightning on a solo will kill more infantry than many units can, so while most solos underperform their cost, Orin won't unless presented with a lot of ARM. His attack is magical to boot. On top of this he comes pre-equipped with three Arcane Vortexes in his pocket that will stop your opponent from getting any ideas about debuffing your precious stuff.
Combos & Synergies
- He usually stands near a colossal, warcaster or a battle engine brandishing his No-Magic button.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Not super useful against high ARM, but boosted POW 10's occasionally help out.
Tricks & Tips
- One power token left is generally enough to convince the enemy not to sling spells near Midwinter.
- After the third turn, he's usually ok to go spend tokens killing things
- Save damage boosts for squishy solos.
- To hit high DEF targets like Eiryss, Angel of Retribution run one of your infantry to within 4" of her and chain lightning it in the back (you shoudn't need to boost here unless you're using Nyss). You'll always get one arc off - which means you flash-fry Eiryss if she's nearest (and this is worth spending a damage token on).
- Every once in awhile, you may use his power tokens to buy and boost melee attacks. Don't forget this is allowed.
Originally released in Warmachine: Legends (2008)
|Cryx (Edit)|| Khador (Edit)
|Protectorate of Menoth (Edit)|
Other Faction models
| M |
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Warlock attachments||Targ - Gatorman Soul Slave|
|Units||Farrow||Farrow Bone Grinders - Farrow Brigands - Farrow Commandos - Farrow Razorback Crew - Farrow Slaughterhousers - Farrow Valkyries|
|Gatorman|| Bog Trog Ambushers - Croak Raiders - Gatorman Bokor & Shamblers - Gatorman Posse - Gobber Bellows|
Special WA: Void Leech
Nyss Hunters - Blythe & Bull - Boomhowlers - Lynus & Edrea
Agata, Queen of Carnage - Maximus - Rorsh & Brine - Targ
|Gatorman|| Boil Master & Spirit Cauldron - Bog Trog Mist Speaker - Bog Trog Trawler - Croak Hunter - Gatorman Husk - Gatorman Soul Slave - Gatorman Witch Doctor |
Kwaak Slickspine & Gub - Longchops - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw
|Unaligned|| Efaarit Scout - Feralgeist -Gobber Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Ogrun Bokur - Gobber Chef - Gobber Raiders - Thrullg - Totem Hunter|
Alten Ashley - Brun Cragback & Lug - Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Eilish Garrity - Gudrun the Wanderer - Hutchuck - Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - Orin - Raluk - Saxon Orrik - Viktor Pendrake
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher (Farrow) - Sacral Vault (Gatorman)|
|Minion - Theme Forces (Edit)|
|The Blindwater Congregation - The Thornfall Alliance - Will Work for Food|
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)