Obavnik Kommander Zerkova & Reaver Guard
Through a combination of fearsome reputation, ruthless tactics, and intimate knowledge of the occult, Aleksandra Zerkova has scaled the ranks of the Greylords Covenant. Her open display of mystical power, from forbidden relics to guardians enslaved to her will, has earned her many enemies—but none capable of standing in her way. She is as skilled at espionage as the dark arts, and more than a few of her detractors have disappeared without a trace, while those once vocal about her wrongdoing have grown strangely quiet.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Obavnik Kommander Zerkova & Reaver Guard
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Orgoth Blade - 0.5" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon.
- Warcaster Unit - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome. Furthermore, this warcaster comes with some troopers that can be ordered around.
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Immunity: Cold - This model does not suffer cold damage.
- Call to Sacrifice (Reaver Guard) - If this model would be killed, a nearby Reaver Guard can be killed instead, and this model regains a hitpoint.
- Sacred Ward - This model can't be targeted by enemy spells.
- Greylord - Zerkova is a Greylord model. The Reavers are not Greylord models, and the unit is not a Greylord unit.
Feat : Arcane Convergence
Each friendly Faction model in CTRL range can immediately cast one spell or perform a special action for free.
- Banishing Ward - COST 2, Range 6", Upkeep.
- Target model/unit cannot be the target of enemy spells/upkeeps. Also, any upkeep spells and animi on the target immediately expire.
- Hoarfrost - Average range, small AOE offensive spell that does high POW cold damage. Also, on a critical hit all models in the AOE become stationary (unless they have cold immunity).
- Occult Whispers - For one round Faction models in Zerkova's CTRL gain an extra die on magic attack rolls.
- Sacrificial Lamb - Remove a friendly faction warrior model to give every one of the spellcaster's warjacks in control range another focus point. Once per turn only.
- Spectral Fire - Average range & POW offensive spell. The POW is increased for every point of focus/fury on the target.
- Telgesh Mark - Average cost, short range upkeep. This model can channel spells through the target friendly faction model.
Zerkova2 comes with two Reaver Guards. They are not Grunts, they are non-character troopers.
Weapons and Attacks
- Fell Axe - 2" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon.
- Doom Reaver - The Guards are Doom Reaver models. Zerkova is not a Doom Reaver model, and the unit is not a Doom Reaver unit.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Berserk - When this model destroys one or more models with a melee attack during its Combat Action, immediately after the attack is resolved it must make one additional melee attack against another model in its melee range.
- Countercharge - When an enemy model advances and ends its movement within 6" of this model and in its LOS, this model can immediately charge it. This model can use Countercharge only once per round and not while engaged.
- Sacred Ward - This model can't be targeted by enemy spells.
- Silence - This model doesn't have to make additional attacks due to Berserk.
Thoughts on Obavnik Kommander Zerkova & Reaver Guard
Obavnik Kommander Zerkova & Reaver Guard in a nutshell
Going epic, Zerkova left most of the flaws of her prime incarnation behind.
- She can create arc nodes out of friendly faction models.
- She can fuel her battlegroup, relatively easily for some decisive turns.
- She has excellent synergy with a very distinct element of the Khadorian arsenal; the magic wielder Greylords (though still struggles to offer support for the rest of her army)
- She is not hapless in melee, thanks to her two Reaver Guard escorts.
Zerkova is well defended against ranged assassination attempts via spells, and thanks to the complete magic immunity of the Reaver Guards, stray magic AOEs will also mean minimum danger for her. The bodyguards offer a fair degree of protection against melee assassination too and are not slouch in melee either. Sporting the same attack profile, as Doom Reavers, and Berserker with built-in Silence, they can mulch infantry units, or dent heavier targets alike.
- Banishing Ward - Its usefulness depends greatly on the enemy's list, but in certain match-ups it is incredibly useful in making your army resistant to the enemy's magic. Also counters tricks like Caine1's Thunderstrike assassination run.
- Hoarfrost - Your primary (and more expensive) attack spell. A nice critical ability, and your favoured tool for assassinations. The stationary affects every model under the AOE, so be on the lookout for models, who are clumped together around some low-DEF target.
- Occult Whispers - Her signature spell. Weigh your options carefully, whether or not you'll need it, as the focus burden is pretty restrictive. If in desperate need for a sure hit (say, against a wounded Caine2 with Bullet Dodger), you can use it to get 4 dice upon a single, boosted Hoarfrost or Spectral fire - and burn through your entire FOCUS pool in the process.
- Sacrificial Lamb - Have some chaff infantry, and more than one jack you want to charge in? Then this is your spell. Unfortunately, it does not circumvents Disruption. Situationally, you can also use it to remove a friendly model - even an engaged one - who is blocking an important charge lane.
- Spectral Fire - longer range, lower POW, but useful against enemies with cold immunity. Focus campers should rightfully fear that one, and will likely to give a second thought about the amount of focus they want to camp on. Especially useful against softer targets, like lesser warlocks, or journeymen warcasters. Usually, Warbeasts fully loaded with fury will shrug off the extra damage they get from the spell, but if they are on the verge of losing an aspect, why not give it a try?
- Telgesh Mark - Her second signature spell, something, she would desperately have needed for her prime version. You can cast it either on a very fast unit to flank the enemy, and open up some nasty attack vectors for assassinations, or a very durable model, which won't get shot in the first place. Be on the lookout for stuffs, which can remove it, like Purification, or Dispel, as you'll likely be outside of the spell's range to re-cast it onto the same target.
It is the toned-down mixture of both Haley1's and Vayl2's feat. Just like with any support trick, it is all about timing. You must deliver most of your mages to the enemy's lines intact to make the most out of it. It also works on you too, so the 1 Hoarfrost and up to 3 Spectral Fire might occasionally have some nasty assassination potential. Alternatively, you can cast Occult Whispers for free, and let the boosted Hoarfrosts fly.
Typical Army & Strategy
Zerkova has some nice assassination potential with her readily available arc nodes and spells. On the other side, her feat, Sacrificial Lamb and Occult Whispers may help her to win the attrition game.
No matter what path you choose, you'll need your army to get the job done because Zerkova2 is more support-orientated than not.
Don't overspend on spellcasters though; you'll also need some traditional units to operate your army at peak efficiency.
- Koldun Kapitan Valachev - not only a Greylord model, but also handy if you wish to get some mercenary units in on the action.
- Battle Mechaniks or Kossite Woodsmen - some cheap bodies for Sacrificial Lamb
- Doom Reaver Swordsmen with their Greylord CA - heavy hitters who can operate nicely on their own and have a mage escort.
- Widowmakers - usually the army relies on close-range firepower; Widowmakers can support your army at range
- Victor or Conquest - once you make the target stationary with Ice Cages, their abysmal RAT matters none. Also, with Telgesh Mark, they become pseudo-Hurricane.
- Sylys - upkeep Telgesh for free, and make super-accurate magic attacks. OR...
- War Dog - pump up her DEF to Caine level in close combat against anything, that gets through her guards. With 3, counter-charging models around her, you can set up quite an intricate web to intercept would-be melee assailants.
- Rager or Ogrun Bokur - even while your Reaver guards are around, you'll probably want an extra layer of protection from ranged assassination attempts.
- Saxon Orrik - you have almost nothing to increase your army's mobility on rough terrain; so Saxon's help is often beyond measure
- Fenris - Want to go on the offensive with your Reaver Guards? Then Fenris can give them Relentless Charge which will be most welcome for them.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- She needs her army to get the job done - her feat and Occult Whispers have severely diminishing return, once the magic-wielding warriors start to fall around her
- Susceptible for ranged assassination, even with her guards around
- It's all too easy to cram all the Greylords into her list, and leave no space for other things
- Anti-magic techs (Eiryss2, Harlan, Orin Midwinter, Lamentation, Covenant of Menoth, Psychic Vampire, attacks with Brain Damage, Arcane Suppression, etc.) will easily pull out the fangs of her army.
- Very limited ways to buff her army's damage output and to increase its mobility.
Tricks & Tips
- Countercharge on the guards only triggers, if the enemy advances within 6" of them - watch out for placement tricks, like Slip
stream, or Telekinesis. They also must have LOS to the target, so be aware of fast, flanking units, like cavalry.
- This entry first appeared in the Warmachine: Reckoning expansion book (2015)
Themes for generic casters (Edit)
- Winter Guard Kommand - (Article) (Category)
- Jaws of the Wolf - (Article) (Category)
- Legion of Steel - (Article) (Category)
Other faction models
Rules Clarification : Warcaster Unit or Warlock Unit (Edit)
Note to Editors