Northkin Bear Handler & Battle Bears
|Crucible Guard CID is now live (Edit)||
Some kriels are known for their skill in capturing and training wild northern bears, for the power of these beasts makes them potent weapons in times of war. By simple gestures combined with commands, a bear handler can designate prey even in the chaos of battle. The beasts become protective of their trainers and handlers and will lash out at anyone who raises a hand against them, making them useful guardians.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Northkin Bear Handler & Battle Bears
- 3 Other
|Northkin Bear Handler & Battle Bears|
|Handler / Bears|
|SPD||6 / 7|
|ARM||15 / 17|
|CMD||9 / 5|
|HP||5 / 8|
|Unit Size|| 1 Handler|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Bear Handler
- Axe - 1" reach, P+S 10 melee weapon
- Claw (x2) - 1" reach, P+S 13 melee weapons
- Bite - 1" reach, P+S 14 melee weapon
- Entire unit
- Advance Deployment - Models with advance deployment are placed after normal deployment and may be placed up to 6" further forward.
- Immunity: Cold - This model does not suffer cold damage.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Ambush - This unit may choose not to deploy normally, and instead be deployed completely within 3" of an edge of the board (excluding the back of your opponent's deployment zone) on any turn after the first.
- Prowl - While concealed this model has stealth.
- Bear Handler only
- Medium base
- Granted: Gang - While this model is still alive and in formation all of the unit gains Gang. (Gang - When making a melee attack targeting an enemy model in the melee range of another model in this unit, this model gains +2 to melee attack and melee damage rolls. )
- Trollkin - This model is a Trollkin model, but the bears and the overall unit is not.
- Northkin - This model is a Northkin model, but the bears and the overall unit is not.
- Bears only
- Large base.
- Unyielding - This model gains +2 ARM against melee damage rolls.
This rule changed in 2018.01
Thoughts on Northkin Bear Handler & Battle Bears
Feel free to remove this warning if you, personally, have a good level of gameplay experience with the model, have reviewed this article, and either you A) agree with the content 100% or B) for the parts you disagree with, you don't strongly disagree; and it's more a case of differing opinions between you and previous editors rather than incorrect content / bad advice.
Northkin Bear Handler & Battle Bears in a nutshell
The Battle Bears are a threatening melee unit. With the lead of the Handler, the bears fight as a coordinated unit. And they hit very hard and can take one hell of a pounding.
Combos & Synergies
- The Krielstone makes the bears ARM 21 in melee. And the Northkin STR-buff means that the bear's charge attack is a boosted POW 18.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- The attacks of the bears aren't quite as brutal as they look; most infantry expect their damage rolls to be boosted but with three attacks only one will be boosted per bear. (Still, boosted MAT 8 POW 16 is impressive).
- The weak link is the handler; if the enemy can scalpel out the handler you lose Gang, taking the effectiveness of the bears down to much more reasonable levels.
Tricks & Tips
- Although the bears are not Northkin models by default, they become Northkin if they're taken in the Storm of the North theme.
- Ambushing is great - but so is brawling under the Krielstone aura.
- Used in pairs they hurt heavies and can utterly maul lights.
Originally released in the Northkin CID (2017.07)
Other Trollblood models
|Warlocks||Bloody Barnabas - Calaban - Helga - Jaga-Jaga - Lord Carver - Maelok - Midas - Rask - Sturm & Drang|
Requires a 2+ warlock game
|Other Controllers|| Lesser Warlocks: Brun & Lug - Dahlia & Skarath - Rorsh & Brine - Wrongeye & Snapjaw
|Warjacks & Warbeasts||The minion battlegroup members you can include in a Trollblood army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what minions it can control.|
|Minion Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Bog Trog Ambushers - Croak Raiders - Bone Grinders - Brigands - Commandos - Razorback Crew - Slaughterhousers - Bokur & Swamp Shamblers - Gatorman Posse - Gobber Bellows|
|Solos||Mist Speaker - Bog Trog Trawler - Croak Hunter - Efaarit Scouts - Feralgeist - Witch Doctor - Gobber Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Ogrun Bokur - Gobber Chef - Thrullg - Totem Hunter|
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher|
Rules Clarification : Northkin status