|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
If the Slayer is a perfect killing machine, Nightmare is darkness and mortality incarnate. The cold shell of this helljack gives form to a bestial predatory instinct. It can become a ghostly specter and move through the rock and steel of any barrier before coalescing into terrifying reality. Nightmare's blackened metal chassis melts into the greater darkness - until it reaches out to rend its luckless victims limb from limb.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons & Attacks
- Wicked Claw (x2) - 1" reach, P+S 17 melee weapons
- Tusks - 1" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon
- Hard Head - This model can add this weapon's POW to its head-butt and slam power attack damage rolls.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Prey - After deployment but before the first player's turn, choose an enemy model/unit to be this model/unit's prey. This model gains +2 to attack and damage rolls against its prey. When the prey is destroyed or removed from play, choose another model/unit to be the prey.
- Ghostly - This model can advance through terrain and obstacles without penalty and can advance through obstructions if it has enough movement to move completely past them. It cannot be targeted by free strikes.
- Bond [Deneghra] - If this model begins the game in Deneghra's battlegroup, it is bonded to them. This model is not considered to be bonded while under your opponent's control. While this model is bonded to Deneghra and in their CTRL range, it gains Stealth.
Thoughts on the Nightmare
Nightmare in a nutshell
Nightmare is a heavy character warjack with Prey and Smash & Grab and who walks through most terrain - and when used with Deneghra it also has Stealth.
Combos & Synergies
- Wraith Witch Deneghra has a bit more trouble than the other versions of Deneghra to handle heavy armour. Nightmare can actually help with that - at least on his Prey target. On top of that, Deneghra2 is the only version of Deneghra that has no access to Ghost Walk (which Nightmare has natively) and that can enhance his threat range massively with a clever use of Hellmouth.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- The cost. A Seether has similar raw damage output for 5 pts less. For 3 pts less, Barathrum has comparable stats and brings more tech (AD, Feedback, Dig-in/Drag Below).
- Prey is less useful on a melee heavy than most other options as melee heavies are dogeable and you'd try to dodge them anyway. Without Prey, P+S 17 isn't enough to handle high ARM values.
- With DEF 13, ARM 18 and a terrible grid for a 18 pt piece, Nightmare is the embodiment of a glass cannon. It's even worse, he can be quickly neutered from range with boostable guns.
- Smash & Grab doesn't work against huge based models.
Tricks & Tips
- Nightmare only threatens 10", so it's often easy for your opponent to keep the Prey target out of his reach during the game. To get around that, an interesting tactic is to put the Prey on something likely to be played forward and easy to kill at the beginning of the game. The turn you intend to commit Nightmare on a target, kill the current Prey target with something else in your army, cycle Prey on Nightmare's target, and profit.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Legends (2008)
- Sculptor: Jose Roig
When taken in Deneghra's battlegroup, Nightmare may be taken in:
Themes for any-and-all bonded warjacks (Edit)
- Black Industries (Article) (Category)
- Dark Host (Article) (Category)
- The Ghost Fleet (Article) (Category)
- Infernal Machines (Article) (Category)
- Scourge of the Broken Coast (Article) (Category)
- Slaughter Fleet Raiders (Article) (Category)
When taken in someone else's battlegroup, Nightmare cannot be taken in a Theme Force.
Other faction models
|Warcasters|| Captain Bartolo - Captain Damiano - Cognifex - Drake MacBain - Exulon - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
Requires a 2+ caster game.
|Other Controllers||Raluk Moorclaw (Marshal) - Rorsh & Brine (Lesser Warlock) - Wrongeye & Snapjaw (Lesser Warlock)|
|Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Monstrosities||The mercenary battlegroup members you can include in a Cryx army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Mercenary Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Press Gangers - Sea Dog Deck Gun - Sea Dog Pirates & CA & WA - Steelhead Halberdiers - Steelhead Heavy Cavalry - Steelhead Riflemen|
|Solos|| Ogrun Bokur - Swamp Gobber Raiders