Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls
Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls
A necrosurgeon accompanies each band of mechanikally enhanced necromantic soldiers that march from one killing field to the next; this specialist among necrotechs was created to maintain thralls and craft replacements as they are destroyed.
|Unit Size|| 1 Necrosurgeon|
3 Stitch Thralls
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Gut Splitter - 0.5" reach, P+S 9 melee weapon
- Stitch Thrall Grunts
- Unarmed - This model has no weapons.
- Stitch Thrall Grunts
- The Stitch Thralls have the same statline as the Necrosurgeon, but only 1 hitpoint each.
- Undead - This model is an undead model and not a living model.
- Undead - As above
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Body Snatcher - When a living or undead model is destroyed within 5˝ of the Necrosurgeon or a Grunt in its unit that is in formation, the Necrosurgeon gains the destroyed model’s corpse token.
- Necrosurgery (★ Action) - Target a friendly Faction undead model in B2B. Remove d6 damage points from it.
- Ressurectionist - Remove up to 3 corpse tokens from the Necrosurgeon and add a small-based Grunt to a friendly Thrall unit within her CMD range for each token removed. Grunts must be placed in formation & within 3" of the Necrosurgeon, and they must forfeit their Combat Action this turn.
- Sacrificial Pawn [Thrall] - When this model is directly hit by an enemy ranged attack, you can have one friendly, non-incorporeal Thrall model within 3" of it hit instead. That model is automatically hit and suffers all damage and effects.
2017.05 Thall CID
- The scope of the surgeon was vastly increased - she can now collect corpses from any Thrall unit, add new Grunts to any Thrall unit, and use Sac Pawn to any Thrall. Previously all those rules only interacted with Mechanithralls.
- Body Snatcher was also buffed so it collects all destroyed models, regardless of which player kills them.
Thoughts on Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls
Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls in a nutshell
You take the Necrosurgeon if you're fielding Thralls, and she greatly increases their resilience.
She also has some use as a healer.
Combos & Synergies
- Terminus loves undead infantry spam, as his 'Shadow of Death' ability makes all the Thralls Tough, and the Necrosurgeon will add insult to injury (spam to spam).
- Fielding Mechanithralls, the Necrosurgeon, and a Sepulcher can make your recursion mechanic extremely hard to stop.
- In Ghost Fleet theme, you can kill your own Revenants, collect their corpses, and they will auto-return next round. Giving you two undead bodies for the price of one!
- Goreshade3 can use Mockery of Life to return a Grunt to play after you've collected its corpse, once again giving you two undead bodies for the price of one.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- If the entire Thrall unit is wiped out, you can't use Ressurectionist.
- The Thralls can't do anything useful on the turn they enter play.
- If you position the Necrosurgeon badly, she could be killed easily. For instance an AOE weapon that scatters onto her can kill her quite easily, and she can't trigger Sacrificial Pawn against it because it's not a direct hit.
- The Stitch Thralls have no melee weapons, which means they can't charge nor engage enemies nor make free strikes. The best they can do (other than collect corpses) is block enemy charge lanes.
- Sometimes you run into activation order dilemmas:
- You want the Stitch Thralls in place to collect the enemy corpses. So you need to activate the Necrosurgeon unit first and run into position. But position them badly, and the Stitch Thralls can block the combat Thralls charges.
- You want to run the Stitch Thralls forward to collect as many corpses as possible. But you can't use the Necrosurgeon's action and run the Stitch Thralls on the same turn. So if you're moving slowly and using your Action, you risk the Stitch Thralls not being in position to collect.
- You want the Necrosurgeon safely hidden at the back of the Thrall swarm, but you want the Stitch Thralls out front to collect corpses when the Combat Thralls kill the enemy. This can mean the Combat Thralls block the Necrosurgeon unit moving forwards.
- You can get around a lot of these issues by having more than one Necrosurgeon and/or more than one Thrall unit.
Tricks & Tips
- Keep one Grunt towards the back of the table, that way your opponent can never completely wipe out the unit and can always use Necrosurgery. This is called the "insurance model".
- If you're using this trick, and the insurance model is so far back it's out of formation, you can't target the unit with friendly spells or special rules.
- If the Necrosurgeon dies, the stitch thralls can still control/contest scenario objectives or block charge lanes.
- By the current Steamroller rules, a unit needs 50% of its starting numbers to be alive to control flags / zones. Keep it in mind, sometimes all it takes is a single extra model returned, to put the unit above that limit.
- Be smart about where you move before using Necrosurgery - with clever positioning your newly-created Thralls can engage enemies, bypass free strikes, or even get placed on the far side of walls!
- In a pinch, one surgeon can collect from two units of Thralls by carefully spreading out your stitch thralls.
- The Necrosurgeon can create more Stitch Thrall Grunts in her own unit, extending her own collection area.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Escalation (2004)
- Sculptor: Grègory Clavilier
Other Cryx models
|Warcasters|| Captain Bartolo - Captain Damiano - Cognifex - Drake MacBain - Exulon - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
Requires a 2+ caster game.
|Other Controllers||Raluk Moorclaw (Marshal) - Rorsh & Brine (Lesser Warlock) - Wrongeye & Snapjaw (Lesser Warlock)|
|Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Monstrosities||The mercenary battlegroup members you can include in a Cryx army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Mercenary Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Press Gangers - Sea Dog Deck Gun - Sea Dog Pirates & CA & WA - Steelhead Halberdiers - Steelhead Heavy Cavalry - Steelhead Riflemen|
|Solos|| Ogrun Bokur - Swamp Gobber Raiders
From here down, the terms Sacrificial Pawn, Grim Salvation, and Sucker! are interchangeable