|Crucible Guard CID is now live (Edit)||
"Cruel beaks, unblinking eyes, slashing talons…all hope dies."
Hideously transformed for their transgressions against others, murder crows creep into the battles of the Wicked Harvest to reap a deadly toll. Appearing seemingly from nowhere, these unnatural assassins are adept at singling out and eliminating vital targets to aid the armies of the grymkin.
|1.5 points each|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Claws - 0.5" reach, P+S 9 melee weapon
- Advance Deployment - Models with advance deployment are placed after normal deployment and may be placed up to 6" further forward.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Stealth - Ranged and magic attacks targeting this model from a point of origin greater than 5˝ away automatically miss. This model is not an intervening model when determining line of sight from a model more than 5˝ away.
- Gang - When making a melee attack targeting an enemy model in the melee range of another model in this unit, this model gains +2 to melee attack and melee damage rolls.
- Prey - After deployment but before the first player's turn, choose an enemy model/unit to be this model/unit's prey. This model gains +2 to attack and damage rolls against its prey. When the prey is destroyed or removed from play, choose another model/unit to be the prey.
Thoughts on Murder Crows
Feel free to remove this warning if you, personally, have a good level of gameplay experience with the model, have reviewed this article, and either you A) agree with the content 100% or B) for the parts you disagree with, you don't strongly disagree; and it's more a case of differing opinions between you and previous editors rather than incorrect content / bad advice.
Murder Crows in a nutshell
Apart of the silly word-play, there's nothing extraordinary about the Murder Crows; they're the faction's light skirmish unit. If you had any experience with or against Strider Blightblades, Kayazy Assassins or Mage Hunter Infiltrators, you will know what to do with them. Either you can go backstabbing opposing solos and light infantry, or you can jam them in to halt the advance of the enemy (something they can do admirably, thanks to Advance Deployment, SPD 7 and Pathfinder). While Stealth protects you from ranged attempts, do not count on them staying on table for long, once they reached the enemy.
Combos & Synergies
- Their Theme Force gives them Ambush, which allows them to catch stray artillery pieces or elusive solos on the flanks. Attacking from the back with Gang makes them virtually MAT 10. As with most Ambush units, they also have Advance Deployment. If you don't expect your opponent to fall for the Ambush tactic, you have the option of deploying them far forward, and just use them as fast jamming bodies.
- The above mentioned combo can be further capitalized by Prey - now we're talking about potentially MAT 12 P+S 13 attacks. If that model also happen to be the one, who triggered The Heretic's trump Arcana (or being re-assigned on, after the original target is killed), then each Crow delivers a whooping MAT 14 P+S 15 hit upon its prey.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- In-between defensive stats for a jamming unit
- ARM is rarely sufficient to survive blasts, and almost never against direct hits
- DEF is reliable against RAT/MAT 5, but not above
- Fairly ineffective against harder targets
Tricks and Tips
- Don't forget to re-assign your Prey immediately after your original target is down.
- Originally released in the Grymkin CID (2017.03)
- A group of crows is called a murder of crows. Get it?
Other Grymkin models
|Warlocks|| The Child - The Dreamer - The Heretic - The King of Nothing - The Wanderer - Old Witch 3|
|Light Warbeasts||Frightmare - Gorehound - Rattler|
|Heavy Warbeasts||Cage Rager - Skin & Moans|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units|| Dread Rots - Hollowmen - Mad Caps - Murder Crows - Neigh Slayers - Piggybacks |
|Solos|| Cask Imp - Glimmer Imp - Gremlin Swarm - Trapperkin - Witchwood |
Lady Karianna Rose - Lord Longfellow
|Battle Engines||Death Knell|
|Dark Menagerie - Bump in the Night||Eilish Garrity, the Occultist|
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)