|Crucible Guard CID is now live (Edit)||
Mercenary warjacks are often drawn from discontinued chassis once produced by kingdom armies. The Mule, a former Cygnaran warjack, wields a massive battle mace and an innovative steam-powered cannon packing enough explosive punch to scatter enemies like leaves. Mercenaries maintain these battle-tested machines and find them fully capable of standing toe-to-toe against any fresh from the assembly line.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Steam Lobber - 8" range, 4" AOE, POW 15 gun
- Arcing Fire - When attacking with this weapon, this model can ignore intervening models except those within 1" of the target.
- Critical Devastation - On a critical hit models hit are thrown d6" directly away from the attacker. Roll distance once for all models affected. Models thrown do not deviate. Move models furtherest from the attacker first. Instead of suffering blast damage, models hit but not directly hit suffer non-blast damage equal to half the weapon's POW. Collateral damage is equal to half the weapon's POW.
- Steam Pressure - If the Mule uses its Normal Movement to aim, it gains +4 RNG with the Steam Lobber.
- Battle Mace - 2" reach, P+S 16 melee weapon
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Tried & True - If this model would be repaired, it repairs 1 extra HP.
Thoughts on Mule
Mule in a nutshell
The Mule has a short ranged gun and a low POW melee weapon paired with just about the worst stat line a heavy can feature while being priced at a premium for merc heavies. This is entirely due to Critical: Devastation, which, theoretically, can win you games. In reality, it's probably priced 1 or 2 points too high because nobody plans their strategy around rolling doubles, and the 13" walking threat range on such a flimsy heavy is hard to accept.
Combos & Synergies
- You are taking this to crit fish because you get better ranged output with the Mariner and it sucks in melee. You also want to increase its range and keep it safe. It's tailor-made for Gastone Crosse, who, with Fire Group and Moving Shadows, increases its range to an acceptable level and lets it back up after it kills a model with its shot. To further enhance this combo, run him with Damiano, who can use Deadeye to crit fish with four dice, or Ashlynn, whose feat drastically increases the odds of getting that crit. Magnus1 or Ossrum could be considered to Snipe the Mule and push its range to truly respectable levels, though Ossrum has much better options, and Magnus1 isn't very powerful.
Also, bring Eilish Garrity to up the chances of a critical hit with a reroll.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Its melee game is poor - the weapon simply doesn't have enough POW.
- It has the DEF of a Khadoran heavy and ARM of a Cygnaran heavy. In short the only reason it doesn't go down easily is because its range keeps it safe from a lot of stuff.
- The Mariner will contribute much more with its gun over the course of the game for one point less while having a better stat line and better melee output. A 15" range vs. an 8" range is a considerable difference.
Tricks and Tips
- Devastation throws all models in the 4" AOE simultaneously, using a single distance roll. Models furthest from the mule are thrown first
Released in Warmachine: Superiority (2006)
Who can take this warjack
To include this mercenary warjack in your army, it must be controlled by one of the following warcasters or marshals. Thus, to include this jack you first need to find a controller that works for your army.
Note: The Vanguard and Toro could also be controlled by a Crucible Guard battlegroup controller.
|Mercenary 'Jack Controllers (Edit)|
|Warcasters||Ashlynn - Caine3 - Captain Bart - Captain Damiano - Gastone2 - Captain Shae - Macbain - Constance - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
|Marshals||Colbie Sterling - Dirty Meg - Raluk Moorclaw - Rutger Shaw - Sam & the Devil Dogs|
Within mercenaries, this warjack can be used in:
- Operating Theater - (Article) (Category) (if you use a Cephalyx Dominator on a Jack Marshal unit)
- The Kingmaker's Army - (Article) (Category)
- The Irregulars - (Article) (Category)
- The Talion Charter - (Article) (Category)
- Llaelese Resistance - (Article) (Category)
Outside of mercenaries, this warjack can be taken in just about every theme force, because there is nearly always at least one merc jack marshal that'll work for any given theme.
Other Mercenary models