Mercenary warjacks are often drawn from discontinued chassis once produced by kingdom armies. The Mule, a former Cygnaran warjack, wields a massive battle mace and an innovative steam-powered cannon packing enough explosive punch to scatter enemies like leaves. Mercenaries maintain these battle-tested machines and find them fully capable of standing toe-to-toe against any fresh from the assembly line.
Weapons and Attacks
- Steam Lobber - 8" range, POW 15, AOE 4
- Arcing Fire - When attacking with this weapon, this model can ignore intervening models except those within 1" of the target.
- Critical Devastation - On a critical hit models hit are thrown d6" directly away from the attacker. Roll distance once for all models affected. Models thrown do not deviate. Move models furtherest from the attacker first. Instead of suffering blast damage, models hit but not directly hit suffer non-blast damage equal to half the weapon's POW. Collateral damage is equal to half the weapon's POW.
- Steam Pressure - If movement is forfeited for aiming, this weapon gains a short range increase.
- Battle Mace - 2" range, P+S 16 melee weapon
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Tried & True - If this model would be repaired, that value is increased a small amount.
Thoughts on Mule
Mule in a nutshell
The Mule has a short ranged gun and a low POW melee weapon paired with just about the worst stat line a heavy can feature while being priced at a premium for merc heavies. This is entirely due to Critical: Devastation, which, theoretically, can win you games. In reality, it's probably priced 1 or 2 points too high because nobody plans their strategy around rolling doubles, and the 13" walking threat range on such a flimsy heavy is hard to accept.
Combos & Synergies
- You are taking this to crit fish because you get better ranged output with the Mariner and it sucks in melee. You also want to increase its range and keep it safe. It's tailor-made for Gastone Crosse, who, with Fire Group and Moving Shadows, increases its range to an acceptable level and lets it back up after it kills a model with its shot. To further enhance this combo, run him with Damiano, who can use Deadeye to crit fish with four dice, or Ashlynn, whose feat drastically increases the odds of getting that crit. Magnus1 or Ossrum could be considered to Snipe the Mule and push its range to truly respectable levels, though Ossrum has much better options, and Magnus1 isn't very powerful.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Its melee game is poor - the weapon simply doesn't have enough POW.
- It has the DEF of a Khadoran heavy and ARM of a Cygnaran heavy. In short the only reason it doesn't go down easily is because its range keeps it safe from a lot of stuff.
- The Mariner will contribute much more with its gun over the course of the game for one point less while having a better stat line and better melee output. A 15" range vs. an 8" range is a considerable difference.
Tricks and Tips
- Devastation throws all models in the 4" AOE simultaneously, but you pick the order in which they are resolved. In a perfect world, you are throwing three or four infantry models backward, so after you roll the distance each model is thrown (all models are thrown the same distance) carefully determine the order in which to throw the models so they impact more models behind them, potentially causing more casualties. Remember, models that are thrown into obstacles or other models with equal or larger bases take an additional damage dice, and models immune to blast damage are still thrown and take throw or collateral damage.
How can I include this model in my army?
To include this mercenary warjack in your army, it must be controlled by one of the following warcasters or marshals. Thus, to include this jack you first need to find a controller that works for your army.
Theme Forces this is a member of
For a Mercenary warjack to be taken in a Theme Force, not only does the 'jack have to meet the theme criteria but it's controller does too. With that in mind, Mule can be taken in:
Other Mercenary models
Rules Clarification : Arcing Fire (Edit)
- Arcing Fire lets you ignore models but not terrain. You don't ignore clouds, forests or buildings.
Rules Clarification : Devastation (Edit)
- This is not a Power Attack Throw, it just causes models to be thrown. As such, it can be used against friendly models.
- Refer to the Throw article for more.
Rules Clarification : Warjack (Edit)
- Please refer to the Warjack page for a recap of the warjack rules, and the very few associated Infernal Rulings.
Rules Clarification : Construct - None yet. (Edit)