The arcane displacer drive represented a major breakthrough in vector design. Freed from the hampering influence of gravity, heavy vectors equipped with this technology—such as the Conservator, Assimilator, and Modulator—gain unparalleled freedom of movement. Coruscating with electrostatic energy along its hull, the Modulator can channel this charge into a bolt of pure energy that electrocutes everything in its path.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Emitter Surge (x2) - 11" range, POW 10 guns
- Damage Type: Electricity - This weapon does electricity damage.
- Direct Current - If this attack directly hits, you can choose to have all models on the line between the centers of this model's base and the target's base suffer an unboostable POW 10 electrical damage roll instead. That damage is not considered to be from an attack, and is resolved simultaneously with the damage roll vs the original target.
- Emitter Core (x2) - 1" reach, P+S 14 melee weapons
- Vector - A vector is a specialised type of warjack. It is big and stompy, as normal, but swaps out the Cortex for an Induction Node. Also its MAT & RAT is always equal to its controller's.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Immunity: Electricity - This model does not suffer electrical damage, and is ignored when determining lightning arcs.
- Plasma Nimbus - If this model survives a melee attack, the attacker suffers a POW 10 electrical damage roll.
Thoughts on Modulator
Modulator in a nutshell
The modulator is an anti-infantry jack, electrocuting lines of infantry but not hitting as hard as any of the other heavies in melee.
Combos & Synergies
- Its guns, plasma nimbus and direct current all benefit from Ionization Servitors launched by a Prime Conflux.
- Aperture Beams from Iron Mother Directrix's Exponent Servitors also boost the relatively weak attacks of the Modulator. The combined effect of Ionization and Exponent Servitors substantially strengthen the Modulator.
- Fire Group from Iron Mother means he can get the direct current farther, getting more infantry under the line.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- It's too pillow fisted to really qualify as a heavy jack.
- Gets shut down by lightning immunity
- Plasma nimbus won't do anything to protect you from heavies
Tricks & Tips
Use "Direct Current" from your Emitter Surge to take out high DEF or Stealth models. You do need to score a direct hit on your actual target -- if there is not a good enemy model to target and hit, don't forget you can line things up to target one of your own models and damage enemy models between them.
Originally released in Forces of Warmachine: Convergence of Cyriss (2013)
Themes for any-and-all Vectors (Edit)
Other Convergence models
|Warcasters||Aurora, Numen of Aerogenesis - Axis, The Harmonic Enforcer - Father Lucant, Divinity Architect - Forge Master Syntherion - Iron Mother Directrix & Exponent Servitors - Eminent Configurator Orion|
|Light||Corollary - Diffuser - Galvanizer - Mitigator|
|Heavy||Assimilator - Cipher - Conservator - Inverter - Modulator - Monitor|
|Colossals||Prime Axiom - Prime Conflux|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units|| Clockwork Angels - Eradicators - Obstructors - Optifex Directive - Perforators - Reciprocators - Reductors
|Solos||Accretion Servitors - Algorithmic Dispersion Optifex - Attunement Servitors - Elimination Servitors - Enigma Foundry - Reflex Servitors - Steelsoul Protector|
|Battle Engines||Transfinite Emergence Projector & Permutation Servitors|
|Destruction Initiative - Clockwork Legions||Eilish Garrity, the Occultist|
Interface Node and Induction
MAT & RAT
Some MAT/RAT examples
At first glance, the technology behind the Modulator bears a striking resemblance to the inherent of Cygnar's storm-based mechanika. Rather than being generated by a system of rune plates and storm chambers, however, the electro-arcane energies of the Modulator are rooted in the voltaic nimbus generator. This ingenious device, invented by Fluxion Baley, is capable of converting stored geomantic energy into a powerful electrostatic field through the use of a series of gears, pulleys, and charging rune plates.
The extreme electrostatic charge created by Bailey's generator coruscates along the Modulator's hull, protecting it from all manner of electricity-based attacks and generating a powerful shock against any foe that strikes the vector without proper insulation. Further, a pair of galvanic arc emitters allows the Modulator to channel this charge into a bolt of pure energy that not only hits a designated target but also electrolutes everything in-between. After preliminary testing, the emitters were modified to allow a warcaster more precise command over this electrical arc; in practice, the adjustment enables the controller to single out an enemy target and avoid collateral damage to clocwork vessels and priests.