|Crucible Guard CID is now live (Edit)||
The Mariner was designed to endure uncertain footing fighting ship-to-ship, a skill just as formidable on dry land. Giving up some armour to move quickly and proving nearly impossible to knock down, the Mariner carries a liberated ship cannon in one hand and a brutal barnacle-encrusted anchor in the other.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Ship Gun - 15" range, AOE 3, POW 14 ranged weapon
- Loader - This weapon cannot be used unless a friendly faction warrior is within 1".
- Anchor - 1" reach, P+S 17 melee weapon
- Thresher (★ Attack) - This model makes one melee attack with this weapon against each model in its LOS that is in this weapon's melee range. Thresher attacks are simultaneous.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Amphibious - This model treats shallow water as open terrain while advancing. While completely in shallow water, this model gains concealment and does not block line of sight.
- Lash - This model, and friendly warrior models B2B with it cannot be knocked down.
2017 08 Errata
- Loader gained an inch of range. This makes it much easier to maneuver.
Thoughts on Mariner
Mariner in a nutshell
The Mariner is a cheap dual-use heavy with excellent range and acceptable melee output against both infantry and jacks/beasts. Boosted POW 14's from 20" away do quite a lot over the course of the game, and it will do okay once it's time to send it in to smash something. It's not great at anything, but it isn't priced like it either. It's a fine warjack for its points.
Combos & Synergies
- Captain Bartolo Montador can give it an extra shot and boosted damage rolls with the cannon
- It becomes quite the assassination piece with Captain Phinneus Shae threatening 27" on his feat turn with Dougal and Coup de Main.
- Fiona the Black gives it a lot of benefit from her feat.
- Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile can give it a better chance to hit (with a re-roll on deviation), and a bit more range. He also can't be hit by any blasts that target the Mariner, and won't be knocked down when his Hit the Deck rule triggers. He's designed to be the loader in case that wasn't immediately apparent.
- Magnus the Traitor and General Ossrum can cast Snipe to give it a formidable 19" range.
- You could do worse than to run one on Gastone Crosse.
- In The Talion Charter theme force it counts towards your free points.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Other than the nuisance of the Loader rule, the only real drawback is that it isn't great at anything. But what do you want for 14 points? It's got a decent gun, a decently hard hitting melee weapon, a 1" thresher to take out infantry. It's certainly a jack of all trades.
- The anchor does not have Chain Weapon despite being a chain weapon...
Tricks and Tips
- The Mariner has one major bonus in that B2B models cannot be knocked down, this has a natural synergy with the Loader rule.
- If the Mariner is slammed over a friendly warrior model, Lash will prevent that model from being knocked down when impacted, assuming it survives.
- If your opponent takes control of the Mariner it will not be able to shoot unless your opponent provides one of his own warrior models as a loader.
- Like almost all ranged jacks it hits harder in melee than at range. You just get a couple of shots in while the armies close (frequently vapourising solos).
- If you want freebooters on the cheap, the The Undercity boardgame contains two plastic ones. These are officially not tournament legal but when painted are indistinguishable except by weight and bendiness.
- Released in Forces of Warmachine: Pirates of the Broken Coast (2007)
Who can take this warjack
To include this mercenary warjack in your army, it must be controlled by one of the following warcasters or marshals. Thus, to include this jack you first need to find a controller that works for your army.
Note: The Vanguard and Toro could also be controlled by a Crucible Guard battlegroup controller.
|Mercenary 'Jack Controllers (Edit)|
|Warcasters||Ashlynn - Caine3 - Captain Bart - Captain Damiano - Gastone2 - Captain Shae - Macbain - Constance - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
|Marshals||Colbie Sterling - Dirty Meg - Raluk Moorclaw - Rutger Shaw - Sam & the Devil Dogs|
Within mercenaries, this warjack can be used in:
- Operating Theater - (Article) (Category) (if you use a Cephalyx Dominator on a Jack Marshal unit)
- The Kingmaker's Army - (Article) (Category)
- The Irregulars - (Article) (Category)
- The Talion Charter - (Article) (Category)
- Llaelese Resistance - (Article) (Category)
Outside of mercenaries, this warjack can be taken in just about every theme force, because there is nearly always at least one merc jack marshal that'll work for any given theme.
Other Mercenary models
| Resolving the attack|
Under this heading, the word "Thresher" is used interchangeably for "Flashing Blade" and "Cyclone" too
Flashing Blade only