The Mariner was designed to endure uncertain footing fighting ship-to-ship, a skill just as formidable on dry land. Giving up some armour to move quickly and proving nearly impossible to knock down, the Mariner carries a liberated ship cannon in one hand and a brutal barnacle-encrusted anchor in the other.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Mariner
- 3 Other
Weapons and Attacks
- Ship Gun - 15" range, AOE 3, POW 14 ranged weapon
- 'Loader' - This weapon cannot be used unless a friendly faction warrior is base to base. - Model must be B2B with a friendly Faction warrior model to fire
- Anchor - 1" range, P+S 17 melee weapon
- Thresher (★ Attack) - Make a simultaneous melee attack against each model within its LOS and within melee range of this weapon.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Amphibious - This model treats shallow water as open terrain while advancing. While completely in shallow water, this model gains concealment and does not block line of sight.
- Lash - This model, and friendly warrior models b2b with it cannot be knocked down.
Thoughts on Mariner
Mariner in a nutshell
The first physically available heavy Privateer warjack, the Mariner is really a non-combat steamjack holding weapons. Its shipborne role means it can't be knocked down, which is nicely thematic. The fact that models in B2B with it cannot be knocked down is the jack's biggest perk. It has a long range gun at 15", making it a good sniper, especially with someone to cast Snipe on it for additional range, and giving it the best range of any mercenary warjack.
Combos & Synergies
- Captain Bartolo Montador can give it an extra shot and boosted damage rolls with the cannon
- Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile can give it a better chance to hit (with a re-roll on deviation), and a bit more range.
- Magnus the Traitor and General Ossrum can cast Snipe to give it a formidable 19" range.
- Jack marshals like Rutger Shaw or Dirty Meg can give it Strike True or Take Aim to improve its shooting. Both benefit from Iron Sentinel when in B2B, giving them improved DEF, ARM, and anti-knockdown while usually placing them to be in position to be its Loader.
Drawbacks and Downsides
Unfortunately the Mariner is at an awkward place between the Rover, the Mule and the Mangler, all of which do their jobs better than the Mariner does any of theirs and is only a single point cheaper. The place that it does shine is with its range and that it has a better DEF to compensate for its lower ARM.
- Loader is a pain and means you have to coordinate your activation properly with the loading model to be able to fire at all, though likely its jack marshal or warcaster will be staying B2B to benefit from Lash anyway.
- The low AOE means that you are unlikely to be more than one or two models if your opponent has positioned their infantry correctly.
- RAT is average so it's likely you will need to boost to hit your intended target.
- Low ARM for a heavy, though its higher DEF somewhat makes up for it.
- Thresher is great, but for only one point more you can get a Mangler who has just that and is much, much better at it.
Tricks and Tips
- The Mariner has one major bonus in that B2B models cannot be knocked down, this has a natural synergy with the Loader rule.
- It also has a bit of range on that cannon, which can be further improved by anyone that can give it Snipe.
Changes from Mk2
- Slightly cheaper
How can I include this model in my army?
To include this mercenary warjack in your army, it must be controlled by one of the following warcasters or marshals. Thus, to include this jack you first need to find a controller that works for your army.
|Mercenary 'Jack Controllers (Edit)|
|Warcasters||Ashlynn - Caine3 - Captain Bart - Captain Damiano - Captain Shae - Macbain - Constance - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
|Marshals||Colbie Sterling - Dirty Meg - Raluk Moorclaw - Rutger Shaw - Sam & the Devil Dogs|
Theme Forces this is a member of
For a Mercenary warjack to be taken in a Theme Force, not only does the 'jack have to meet the theme criteria but it's controller does too. With that in mind, Mariner can be taken in:
- The Kingmaker's Army
- The Thornfall Alliance - (Article) (Category) (but only if controlled by Raluk Moorclaw)
Other Mercenary models
| Resolving the attack|
Under this heading, the word "Thresher" is used interchangeably for "Flashing Blade" and "Cyclone" too
Flashing Blade only