Khador’s mechaniks build their warjacks to last. The Juggernaut is a hulking mass of plated armor wielding an ice axe that can encase its target in a layer of crippling ice. This sturdy chassis has given rise to other staples like the Destroyer, whose whistling shells arcing overhead portend explosive obliteration. The Marauder was also built on this frame and uses its piston-driven battering rams to deliver pulverizing impacts that can hurl enemy warjacks away with effortless ease. Another is the Decimator, engineered to annihilate well-armored targets with powerful direct fire. This ’jack’s wide-bored cannon smashes its victims to the ground before it closes to tear them apart with its whirling rip saw.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Ram Piston x2 - 1" reach, P+S 16 melee weapons.
- Combo Smite (★ Attack) - 1) The model hit is slammed d6" directly away from this model. If the model hit is on a larger base, halve the distance. 2) The slam damage roll is 2d6 + STR + 2x POW. Collateral damage is 2d6 + STR.
- Siege Weapon - This weapon gains an additional die to its damage rolls against huge-based models.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
Thoughts on Marauder
Comparison to Mk2
- Increased MAT
- Siege Weapon is more useful.
- Became cheaper
Marauder in a nutshell
This guy is cheap, and hits hard, especially against colossals and battle engines, so the lack of open fists doesn't hurts so much in this case. It has a decent MAT, a solid ARM and its combo smite is really powerful and can slam its target away, even if without the 3" movement. Its only weak point is its speed, but khador has a lot of ways to fix this.
Marauder is among the least complex warjacks in the faction. Beside the typical Khadorian jack stat-line, it has two, average P+S attacks. What makes it great, is its combo smite, which will send smaller, or equal-based targets flying, and deals massive damage on huge based models.
Combo Smite has some extreme damage potential. An effective P+S 20 it rivals the Macropummeler of the Inverter, with the added effect of slamming the target away. With boosted damage rolls (and with a well-placed wall, or other model to slam upon), it can badly maul heavies, and severely threaten even warcasters. The 2017 FAQ changed the wording of Siege Weapon, so it can severely hurt Gargantuans and Colossals too.
Combos & Synergies
The Marauder hunts mainly heavies, and with its above-average MAT it often spares the need to boost the attack roll. Usually, the Power-up focus is all that it needs for a good combo-smite. Apart of that, casters, who can speed it up, or give it free charge, will get even more mileage out of it.
- Casters with Superiority - Irusk1 or Strakhov.
- Butcher 1 - Full Throttle guarantees hits even against elusive targets, while an additional die on the damage rolls can mean death sentence for nearly anything.
- "Jack Casters" - Karchev and Harkevich, both offer quite a lot for melee capable, tough jacks, especially SPD buff.
- Marshalling - it cannot use the drive of the Man-o-War Konvnik, but the other marshal bonuses are pretty nice.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Anything that restricts special attacks, will severely decrease its offensive capability.
- It lacks Follow-up, so if you slam away the target, you'll probably need other units to finish the job, if the target is not dead.
- One of the few Khadorian, non-Berserker jacks that lacks open fist. Occasionally you'll wish you had one.
Tricks & Tips
- You cannot perform power attacks against your own models (ever since the 2017 errata). However, combo smite is not a Power Attack Slam, it just causes a model to be slammed. Thus you can quasi-slam your own figures to knock down enemy targets.
- Look for walls, or other enemy models to slam the target for the extra damage die.
- Do your maths before combo-smiting a huge-based model. Since the bonus from Siege Weapon applies to each attack, you're often better to make more weaker attacks than 1 slightly more powerful one.
- The critical ARM value is 23. Beyond that, the +4 from the combo smite is worth more than the +3.5 you get from an average d6.
Originally released in Warmachine: Prime (2003)
Themes for generic warjacks (Edit)
- Armored Korps - (Article) (Category)
- Winter Guard Kommand - (Article) (Category)
- Jaws of the Wolf - (Article) (Category)
- Legion of Steel - (Article) (Category)
- Wolves of Winter (Article) (Category)
Other faction models