House Shyeel has brought the power of its formidable myrmidons to the Retribution, fighting machines enhanced by sophisticated arcanika systems. The Manticore is equally as formidable in melee or at range, thanks to kinetically augmented attacks and its Cyclone Cannon.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Cyclone Cannon - 12" range, d3 ROF, POW 12 gun
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon can damage incorporeal models.
- Covering Fire (★ Action) - Place a wall template anywhere completely within this weapon's RNG and this model's LOS, ignoring intervening models. A model entering or ending its activation in a template suffers a Magical Damage roll with POW equal to the POW of this weapon. The template remains in play for one round. If this model is destroyed or removed from play, immediately remove the template from play.
- Saber Fist (x2) - 1" reach, P+S 15 melee weapons
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Force Fields - this warjack has an extra damage track that takes damage first.
- Field Dependent - If this model's Generator is crippled, it loses Force Generator and can't attack with the Cyclone Cannon or use Covering Fire.
- Force Generator - The Manticore can spend a focus to gain +3 STR for one turn.
Thoughts on the Manticore
Manticore in a nutshell
The Manticore is a solid warjack, a good mix of ranged and melee abilities. It can shoot down incoming troops (if you're feeling lucky on your ROF roll), or more often it will lay down Covering Fire to close down areas of the board to single-wound infantry. Then, in melee, its Force Generator ability gives it the damage bonus it needs to take down enemy heavies.
Combos & Synergies
- In melee he prefers buffs to his focus efficiency (such as free charges or free attacks) rather than buffs to his damage (like Elara2's Scything Touch). The reason being, he has a low amount of attacks and already has great P+S (after paying for Force Generator)
- If you're playing with the Steamroller 2017 terrain setup rules, then two Manticores using Covering Fire can really shut down the enemy infantry's movement options.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- While it sports impressive melee P+S, the focus cost means he doesn't do a lot of attacks, and consequently he tends to do rather less total damage than what one could expect. Don't be lured into thinking he can one-round other heavies easily.
- Losing either the cortex or the Force Generator system will heavily cripple his melee ability.
Tricks & Tips
- Space your Covering Fire(s) out to cover more board. For example, if you place it next to an obstruction and leave a gap just slightly smaller than a small-base, this will effectively add 1" to the area you've blocked off.
Originally released in Forces of Warmachine: Retribution of Scyrah (November 2009)
- Forges of War (Article) (Category)
- Themes for any-and-all warjacks (Edit)
Other Retribution models
|Retribution Mercenary Models/Units|
|Units||Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr|
|Solos||Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Eilish Garrity - Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan|
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)