After fleeing Cygnar, Magnus used looted components to assemble what he considered to be the deadliest combination of strength, ability, and durability he could afford the Mangler. Its massive wrecking ball and three-foot tempered punching spike make it as formidable as any warjack created by Cygnar's finest engineers.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Mangler
- 3 Other
Weapons and Attacks
- Wrecker - 2" range, P+S 18 melee weapon.
- Punching Spike - 1" range, P+S 16 melee weapon.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Aggressive - This model can run or charge for free.
Thoughts on Mangler
Mangler in a nutshell
"I'M GONNA WRECK IT!" - Wreck-it Ralph, 2012
The Mangler is all about its Wrecker and the Thresher attack. Point this jack at a clump of infantry and start cutting them down like wheat. If there are two or more enemy models in range of the Mangler's Thresher, there's no reason not to use it. Every additional model is like getting a free point of focus for an additional attack. While it'll hit most trooper models on average attack rolls, you'll likely want some buffs on this 'jack (or debuffs on its target) to increase the carnage. And it works really well against nice tight bricks where the sheer power of the wrecker becomes useful, and against shield carrying heavies as it ignores the shield.
Combos & Synergies
- Jack Marshals: He charges for free, and can hit multiple models with Thresher. This makes the Mangler remarkably good for a heavy beatstick warjack to marshal; both Crush and Strike True work really well with Thresher, and it can charge and crush on the same turn for significantly more damage than a Nomad would manage.
- Captain Sam MacHorne & The Devil Dogs can inflict knockdown all over the place to set up a superb Thresh attack.
- Magnus the Traitor can boost its melee rolls and let it power attack for free with Iron Aggression, or use Death Ward to make it very hard to disable its systems.
- Magnus the Warlord Escort makes the Mangler much more likely to get free charges off or have enough control over placement to thresh multiple targets, and the Mangler likes becoming Unyielding.
- Damiano can add crucial extra inches to its threat range with Road to War, and under his feat the tresher attacks will be quite telling.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- The Mangler costs a third more than the Nomad and Nomad is almost as good under most conditions. Unless you are likely to meet or set up one of the exceptions the Nomad is a much better choice - know your metagame! The times when the Mangler is significantly more dangerous are:
- If the Mangler charges it gets an extra attack (or at least a free boost) whereas the Nomad doesn't
- The Mangler does much more damage against multi-wound models with Shield Wall. In a heavy on heavy brawl this can make a huge difference.
- Thresher mangles densely packed infantry
- Thresher can also let it focus on its first target while dishing out a nasty attack to another enemy jack or beast almost for free. And this is in addition to its free charge
- Going up against models with high DEF it gets a bit focus hungry, though this is offset somewhat by Power Up and free charges.
Tricks and Tips
- The Mangler was made for destroying shielded infantry and jacks, this is where it really shines.
- Iron Aggression affects each individual attack from thresher, vastly improving the viability of sending the Mangler after higher def units.
Notable Changes from Mk2
- Gained Aggressive ability. The Mangler previously required strong caster support. This addition allows the jack to get more work done on its own - but Power Up is a bigger change. Like any jack, it really shines with good support, but you no longer need to babysit it during the early turns.
- Became slightly cheaper.
- Gained a point of STR, increasing weapon damage
How can I include this model in my army?
To include this mercenary warjack in your army, it must be controlled by one of the following warcasters or marshals. Thus, to include this jack you first need to find a controller that works for your army.
|Mercenary 'Jack Controllers (Edit)|
|Warcasters||Ashlynn - Caine3 - Captain Bart - Captain Damiano - Captain Shae - Macbain - Constance - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
|Marshals||Colbie Sterling - Dirty Meg - Raluk Moorclaw - Rutger Shaw - Sam & the Devil Dogs|
Theme Forces this is a member of
For a Mercenary warjack to be taken in a Theme Force, not only does the 'jack have to meet the theme criteria but it's controller does too. With that in mind, Mangler can be taken in:
- The Kingmaker's Army
- The Thornfall Alliance - (Article) (Category) (but only if controlled by Raluk Moorclaw)
Other Mercenary models
| Resolving the attack|
Under this heading, the word "Thresher" is used interchangeably for "Flashing Blade" and "Cyclone" too
Flashing Blade only