|Crucible Guard CID is now live (Edit)||
"When I die, I die in steam!"
Officer Command Attachment
Man-O-War shocktrooper officers embody the strength and resilience of the frozen north and, like their homeland, bow to no opposition.
|Unit Size|| 3/5|
+1 for CA
|Cost||10/16; +4 for CA||3.2 points per model|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Leader & Grunts
- Shield Cannon - 6" range, POW 14 gun
- Annihilator Blade - 2" reach, P+S 14 melee weapon.
- Entire Unit
- Combined Melee Attack - This unit can combine their melee attacks to get a bonus on accuracy and damage.
- Repairable - This model can be repaired as if it were a construct.
- Shield Wall (Order) - Models in this unit get +4 ARM while B2B with another model in the unit, unless the attack originates in their rear arc. Lasts until the beginning of their next activation.
- Officer only
- The Officer has MAT 8 & CMD 9
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Granted: Assault - While this model is still alive and in formation all of the unit gains Assault. (Assault - This model may make a ranged attack as part of its charge.)
- Tactics: Steady - The unit gains Steady. (Steady - This model can't be knocked down.)
- Tactics: Sturdy - The unit gains Sturdy. (Sturdy - This model cannot be pushed.)
Thoughts on Man-o-War Shocktroopers
Man-o-War Shocktroopers in a nutshell
Shocktroopers are your BRICK, with capital letters. Currently, they are among the toughest heavy infantry in the game. Under Shield Wall their armour surpasses the average Khador jack-level, meaning that even a shot from a Stormwall's big gun will barely scratch them without boost. They are very slow, though, so you must plan carefully, where do you want them.
A quick guide for beginners:
- MoW Shocktroopers are your combined arms troops, with shield wall, and some occasional shooting before getting stuck in
- MoW Bombardiers eschew shields for increased ranged threat in forms of grenade launchers (with small AoE), and a less powerful chainsaw with shorter reach
- MoW Demo Corps are pure close combat units, with mauls that can freeze the enemy
Combos & Synergies
In theme forces
- Armored Korps - a theme force, created specifically for Men-o-War. The essential support solos which are needed for them to operate efficiently, can be requisitioned here, most of them for free. Most notably they are:
- Their Officer! He is cure for all the pain, caused by pesky pushing and knockdown effects. No more pulling models out of shield wall; your troopers stay, where you put them (alas, they still can be slammed or placed). Really, if you take Shocktroopers, there's hardly a reason not to take this guy. Assault is a nice bonus too.
- Man-o-War Kovnik helps to speed them up with Desperate Pace, even while in Shield Wall.
- Battle Mechaniks and their Officer are the only in-faction models, who can make them take advantage of their Repairable rule. There are a few mercenaries, who can also repair your suits (Gobber Tinker, Colbie Sterling or Raluk Moorclaw). You'll also gain +1 to your repair rolls, so anything that fails to kill a MoW, will likely to see him coming back just as strong as before.
- Orin or Saxon Orrik - One mercenary solo is allowed in the theme, and these two are ideal for your needs. Orin clears jamming models, and provides protection from spells which mess with your speed. Saxon is your insurance against rough terrain tricks.
- Irusk2 - probably the best choice for this theme, due to built-in Tactician and Tough in his CMD range. With the officer you'll get Steady already, for everything else there is Solid Ground. He only gives Pathfinder through his Feat turn, so plan accordingly.
- Irusk1 - you get Tactical Superiority with the Battle plan instead of Total Obedience's Tactician, and Iron Flesh instead of Undying Loyalty's Tough, only a single turn of Tough from his feat, plus no Pathfinder at all. IN return, you'll get to slow down your enemy via Inhospitable ground, which can be almost as good.
- Kozlov - Crucial SPD buff and additional ARM from his feat, plus a single unit can greatly benefit from Tactical Supremacy.
- Strakhov2 - Excellent infantry-support toolbox. Whether you want to make the brickiest brick out there with Tough+ARM 26 (Shield wall+Feat+Inviolable Resolve), or deliver a SPD4 Shield Wall up to 11" (Quicken+Battle Manoeuvres), Strakhov can do it all.
If you play outside their theme, consider casters, who can speed them up, or make their attack count.
- Zerkova1 - Ghost Walk can give them surprising mobility through rough terrain, while her feat limits the striking capability of the enemy against them
- Strakhov1 only supports them via Occulation, but his feat allows a crazy charge range for such slow models
- Old Witch1 - she does not boost their SPD per se, but pulling the enemy closer to them with Gallows is just as nice. Also, Pathfinder from Weald Secrets will often come handy.
- Vlad3 - Dash was made for slow infantries, while Hand of Fate seriously boosts their offensive capability.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Their DEF assures nearly any attack will hit them. On the plus side, you don't have to be afraid of lowering their DEF via spells, like Fury.
- Any speed de-buff will hurt them, and they usually struggle in scenarios. Haley1's Temporal Barrier with the Stormsmith Grenadiers' grenade can shut down their move completely, apart of 3" charges.
- Without the officer they are susceptible for pushes and knockdowns
- Without pathfinder their advance will be slowed to a crawl on rough terrain
- Even with Assault, in terms of raw damage they fall behind Doom Reavers
- Grievous Wounds counter Repair
Tricks & Tips
- Beside the above mentioned cons, they have their perks too. A minimum unit with an Officer costs as much as an average heavy warjack, and has roughly the same number of HP. Unlike warjacks, they are perfectly operational even without focus, can cover bigger area, and can operate even independently from your main force.
- Want to CMA? Select the Officer (you brought him, didn't you?) as the primary attacker due to his better MAT and weapon.
- Knocked-down / stationary models are sweet targets for an Assault
- Watch out for effects and attacks, which find their way through your ARM; corrosion, puncture, snipers and anatomic precision attacks can usually clip off a single damage point at a time, but can still finish off your wounded troopers. Deadly Shots are dangerous even for undamaged models.
- The unit, not including CA, was originally released in Warmachine: Prime (2003)
- The CA was released at the start of Mk3 (2016)
Other faction models
Step 1: Declare the charge
Step 2: Move the charging model
Step 3: Make the ranged attack
Step 4: If you miss
Step 5: After finishing the Assault attack