Mercenary, and Cygnar Partisan, Llaelese Trencher Solo
A natural survivor and ruthless pragmatist, the man known as Gibbs is as capable on the battlefield as any professional soldier. As a cook in a Cygnaran trencher company, Gibbs was stranded behind enemy lines and was forced to adapt to survive. Wearing the uniform of a dead officer, he introduced himself not as a cook but as Trencher Major Harrison Gibbs and has become a vital member of the Llaelese Resistance.
- Military Rifle - 10" range, POW (★) gun.
- Attack Type - When you make an attack with this weapon you must choose one of the following types:
- Rifle Shot - The POW is as per a normal rifle.
- Rifle Grenade - The attack gains a small AOE and does average POW blast damage to all models hit.
- Club - 0.5" reach, P+S 10 melee weapon.
- Critical Brutal Damage - On a critical hit, gain an additional die on this weapon's damage rolls against the target directly hit.
- Mercenary - will work as a Cygnar Partisan .
- Partisan [Cygnar] - When included in a Cygnar army, this model/unit is a Cygnar model/unit instead of a Mercenary model/unit.
- Dodge - When an enemy misses this model with an attack at any time except when it is advancing, this model immediately advance 2" ignoring free strikes.
- Hot Meal (Minifeat) - Once per game, during his activation, Gibbs can remove all damage from all friendly living warrior Faction models in his CMD range.
- Feign Death - While knocked down this model can't be targetted by shooting or spells.
- Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.
- Leadership [Llaelese] - Friendly Llaelese warrior models in this model's CMD range gain Feign Death and Reposition [3"]. (Feign Death - While knocked down this model can't be targetted by shooting or spells.) (Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.)
Thoughts on Major Harrison Gibbs
Major Harrison Gibbs in a nutshell
Gibbs does wonders for Llaelese models (especially the Llaelese warcasters) and can swing games with his ability to completely heal warrior models in his CMD range. He is often seen with Stryker2 because of his heal.
Combos and Synergies
- Anyone Llaelese. Especially anyone with tough. Not that it's not already useful.
- Ragman can typically struggle to apply Death Field at times. Gaining Reposition 3" means that he can be slapping Dark Shroud on a model 12" away.
- Warcasters or units that are prone to taking damage as part of their play style or abilities. (Lord Commander Stryker being especially notable).
- Warcasters with Revive or similar abilities who are using multiple damage box units, such as cavalry.
- For example, with a huge investment of Focus, Major Prime Victoria Haley can bring 3 Storm Lances back into play. Gibbs can then heal every single one.
- Reposition 3" allows Gorman to back out of his cloud. With the release of Llaelese Resistance, he also allows Trencher Infantry to back out of their clouds, which is naturally quite powerful and makes him the first solo taken in many a Llaelese Resistance army.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- A Trencher Infantry Grenadier is as useful in combat and half his cost. He can't even dig in or advance deploy (although he has hit boxes) - so if you aren't taking him to buff Llaelese or heal your caster you shouldn't take him at all.
Tricks & Tips
- His Leadership only applies to warrior models, not to the Vanguard.
- Take Drake Macbain, feat on Steelhead Heavy Cavalry, Gibbs and Boomhowler and run them at the enemy to block their path. Stand them up with Boomhowler and heal all the damage with Gibbs
- Take Exemplar Bastions in the Llaelese theme force and heal them after they spread the damage around with Sanguine Bond.
Other Faction models
Rules Clarification : Attack Type and/or Arcane Savant (Edit)
- If you forget to declare your Attack Type before rolling the attack, and you and your opponent can't agree on a fair fix, then the Judge's Policy is that the first listed Attack Type is the one that will be used.
Rules Clarification : Rifle Grenade - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Brutal Damage (Edit)
- Brutal Damage only applies to the model directly hit, so it never affects blast damage.
Rules Clarification : Partisan (Edit)
- This model is normally "friendly faction" to other mercenary models. However, when taken in the Partisan faction it is "friendly faction" to that faction and not to any other mercenaries that are in that force.
- For instance, if you take Gallant in a Mercenary force he is "friendly faction" to, say, Reinholdt. But if you take them both in a Cygnar force then Gallant counts as a Cygnar model and is no longer "friendly faction" to Reinholdt.
- Partisan Warcasters can be taken in faction theme forces. Refer to the main rulebook.
Rules Clarification : Dodge (Edit)
- Dodge triggers after any missed attack - melee, ranged, or magic.
- If you shoot at a model with Dodge that's in melee and miss, Dodge will trigger regardless of whether you then hit the random new target or not.
- The Dodge movement occurs after making the attack against the new target.
- An enemy model with 2" melee range that is B2B with you before you Dodge, will be exactly 2" away afterwards, and thus will be able to attempt a 2nd melee attack.
- If you're missed by an AOE attack, but it doesn't deviate very far and still hits you then: Dodge still triggers, but the AOE does damage before you get the Dodge movement. (Infernal Ruling)
- Dodge plus Riposte (Edit)
- If a model has both Dodge and Riposte, they are resolved at the same time. You get to choose which order to resolve them in.
Rules Clarification : Feign Death (Edit)
- "Cannot be targeted" is not the same as "cannot be hit". You can still be hit by AOEs, Sprays, etc that target someone else.
- You cannot use Gunfighter vs models Feigning Death, because Gunfighter is still a ranged attack.
- However, you can use Point Blank, because that lets the attacker make a melee attack with a ranged weapon.
Rules Clarification : Hot Meal (Edit)
- If Gibbs is taken in a Cygnar force, then Hot Meal works on Cygnar models (but not on Mercenary models). Because of Partisan.
Rules Clarification : Leadership (Edit)
- If you have two Leaders handing out the same buff, then sometimes they stack (Bronzeback) and sometimes they don't (Exemplar Bastion). (Infernal Ruling)
- See specific models for case-by-case clarifications.
Rules Clarification : Reposition (Edit)
- Models out of formation cannot move via Reposition. Refer to the "Out of Formation" rules in the core rulebook.
- You cannot trigger abilities that occur "at the end of activation" (such as Sprint) after resolving Reposition, because your activation has ended. (Infernal Ruling) See also this article for a detailed explanation.
- You cannot trigger abilities that occur "at any time" (such as Go To Ground) during a Reposition. Because you can't trigger it while moving, and after moving your activation has ended. (Infernal Ruling)
- This holds true even if it's a unit with multiple Reposition moves. (Infernal Ruling)