Retribution Shyeel Warcaster
A theorist and unconventional freethinker, Helynna has dedicated her life to the advancement of myrmidon technology. The affinity that exists between her and the arcanikal constructs she commands transcends the normal bond between warcaster and myrmidon, a culmination of her understanding of the inner workings of these machines. Viewing each battle as an experiment, Helynna delights in sending Shyeel myrmidons crashing into enemy lines and unleashing their potential as only she can.
Weapons & Attacks
- Redirection Blast - 12" range, POW 11, ROF 1 ranged weapon
- Redirection - 2" reach, P+S 11 melee weapon
- Damage Type: Magical - As above
- Force Grip - As above
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- Repair [d3+3] (★ Action) - This model can remove d3+3 damage points from a friendly Faction construct model in B2B.
- Deceleration - Friendly Faction models gain an ARM bonus against ranged and magic attacks while within spellcaster's control range.
- Force Strike - Average range, average damage magic attack that causes knockdown on a critical hit.
- Hand of Destruction - Battlegroup models get an additional die on attack & damage rolls against target model or unit. Discard lowest die on each roll.
- Obliteration - COST 4, Range 10, POW15, AOE5 offensive spell.
- Rhythm of War - Warjacks in battlegroup get to advance a short distance after all friendly models finish their activation.
- Arcantrik Aptitude - Remove all damage from warjack's force fields in Helynna's CTRL range; and all friendly Faction models gain an ARM buff and ignore crippled systems.
Thoughts on Magister Helynna
This model has only recently been released, and the content in the "Thoughts On" section is based more on theory-machine than actual gameplay experience.
Feel free to remove this warning if you, personally:
- Have a good level of gameplay experience with the model, and
- Have reviewed this article and either you
- agree with the content 100% or,
- for the parts you disagree with, you don't strongly disagree; and it's more a case of differing opinions between you and previous editors rather than incorrect content / bad advice.
Magister Helynna in a nutshell
She is the ultimate Jack master, I'm pretty sure she wants to be the elf version of Karchev the Terrible. Two of her spells are specifically meant for her battlegroup and affects all of them. Deceleration also works on them and makes them an untouchable delivery system, you might as well paint them with the UPS symbol on the ones in her battle group. After they have fought for a minute then she can feat and well, if you didn't finish them off when you had the chance you're gonna wish you did.
Typical Army & Strategy
Her main win condition is ... Placeholder.
Jacks . . . anything else is something extra to screen yourself or just to use as a toolbox.
- Discordia - with this beautiful character jack and its imprint you just have a brick wall of Griffins or Dawnguard with Deceleration added on and you'll get an armor bonus against ranged that Khador would be jealous of.
- Chimera - arc nodes are nice, added with the fact that the Chimera isn't that bad in combat and with the fact that Helynna's Rhythm of War can help him move at the end of a turn, along with Apparition at the beginning of a turn makes him a deceptively mobile jack.
- Griffon - they are a brick wall and an amazing jack for all intents and purposes gonna clog up anything you want. With feat turn you now have a lot of cheap unbreakable jacks.
- Sylys Wyshnalyrr - as Helynna you are a spell slinger or at least throwing focus every which way to keep your machines working at full capacity, so it's nice to have someone watch your back and give you a little help with that.
- Dawnguard - of any kind are worth taking, they give themselves easy armor, and they can deal decent damage from either end of the spectrum. Invictors are wonderful even with the short-ish range they have because they can and will survive most infantry based shooting. The sentinels are great at getting where they need to go because their armor can get to terrifyingly high levels with Helynna sticking around.
Drawbacks, Downsides, & Bad Match-Ups
- Focus, she is very focus hungry running all those jacks and keeping up with her spells.
- She has no support for troops aside from deceleration so if you take units or solos take the ones that are self sufficient or ones that support jacks.
- Never leave her alone, if you find her without an Aspis or something to guard that sweet, sweet bald head of hers she will die in combat. The most she can do to save herself is push things 3" out of the way but if nothing is there to take whatever is threatening her off her mind then she will surely fall.
- Just like with Darius' or Absylonia1's feat, smart enemies won't leave many half-wrecked battlegroup members around for you.
- Her RAT is awful, no your not really going to use it often but it is a good positioning tool . . . if it hits. This coupled with her being a focus starved caster means you shouldn't boost to hit with it either.
Tricks and Tips
Rules Clarification : Magical Damage (Edit)
- The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon such as arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
- All spells have "Damage Type: Magical" (refer latest errata).
- This is inherited by "immediate" secondary damage (such as Eruption of Spines) ... [Verification needed]
- ... but not by "lingering" secondary damage (such as the cloud left by Breath of Corruption). [Verification needed]
- If a weapon/spell includes Magic Damage and another kind of elemental damage it can still damage Incorporeal models. They're not affected by the rule "if an attack does multiple types of damage and a model is immune to at least one it is immune to the entire attack.
The phrase "immune to non-magical damage" should be intrepreted as "immune to damage that doesn't include Damage Type: Magical" (not as "has immunity to Corrosion and Electricity and Cold and etc.")
Rules Clarification : Repair (Edit)
- When repairing warjacks, you can choose which damage boxes to heal - they don't all have to be the same column.
Rules Clarification : Deceleration (Edit)
- Deceleration works vs blast damage.
- Deceleration works vs special effects on the gun/spell that cause "direct" damage. For instance, the Throw damage caused by the White Squall spell.
- Deceleration doesn't work vs 'secondary' damage that is 'not considered to be an attack' (such as Electro Leap).
- Deceleration doesn't work vs hazards that are put into play by spells/guns (such as the Stormwall's Covering Fire).
Rules Clarification : Force Strike (Edit)
- Knockdown (Edit) - Remember, knockdown only prevents what it says it does. Refer to the Knockdown page for a recap of what a model can/can't do.
Rules Clarification : Obliteration (Edit)
- The text description has no in-game effect. It's just for flavour.