Maelok the Dreadbound
The gatorman warlock known as Maelok the Dreadbound exists in a torturous state of undeath as an animated corpse bound to the will of another. Despite his decaying physical form, Maelok is still a mighty bokor who can return slain allies to life, steal the souls of the living, or connect to the spirit world to transform his army temporarily into ghostly horrors unimpeded by flesh, stone, or steel.
This model's rules are currently under development
This is a existing model, and the information here is the rules it had before the CID cycle. If you wish to document the CID changes before they're finalised, please do so under the Recent Changes heading.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Maelok the Dreadbound
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Bite - 0.5" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon. He probably shouldn't be in melee, though.
- Claw (x2) - 0.5" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon.
- Minion - In a +2 warlock game, he can work as a Circle Orboros minion, Legion of Everblight Minion, Skorne minion, or Trollblood minion
- Warlock - All warlocks come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Gatorman Warlock - This model's battlegroup must contain only minion Gatorman warbeasts.
- Amphibious - This model treats shallow water as open terrain while advancing. While completely in shallow water, this model gains concealment and does not block line of sight.
- Undead - This model is an undead model and not a living model.
- Field Marshal [Undead] - Warbeasts/warjacks in this model's battlegroup gain Undead.
- Soul Taker: Cull Soul - This model collects souls from living enemies who are destroyed within 2" of it. These souls turn into extra focus/fury during your next turn.
Death Pact - Cost 3
- While in Maelok's CTRL range, friendly Faction warrior models gain +2 ARM and Undead. Models are not affected while out of formation. Lasts for one round.
Mortality - COST 3, RNG 10, DUR (RND), OFF (YES)
- Target model/unit suffers -2 DEF and ARM, loses Tough, and cannot have damage removed form it.Mortality lasts for one round.
Revive - Cost 3
- Return to Play a destroyed Grunt. Place it completely within 3" of another model in its unit, in formation, and in the caster's CTRL range. The Grunt is returned with 1hp & gets no Combat Action this turn.
Soul Harvester - Cost: 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- When target friendly Faction model/unit destroys a living enemy model with a melee attack, the spellcaster gains the destroyed model’s soul token regardless of the proximity of other models.
Feat: Spirit World
This feat has two effects:
- Friendly Faction models currently in Maelok's CTRL range become incorporeal for this turn.
- While within Maelok's CTRL range, friendly Faction undead models gain +2 ARM.
Spirit World lasts for one round
2017.09 Blindwater CID
- His Death Pact spell was reworked.
Thoughts on Maelok the Dreadbound
Maelok the Dreadbound in a nutshell
With a 4 point ARM swing on a Posse unit, Revive, and a battlegroup-wide ARM buff on feat turn Maelok is as close to a brick-caster with infantry as Minions currently have access to (Carver1 of course runs bricks with Batten Down the Hatches). And Venom and Mortality are two great offensive spells.
Maximising his feat & spells
- Maelok's feat is an assassination feat - turning your entire army incorporal for the turn allows most of it to charge straight through enemy defences and into their caster. (Or just into their back lines).
Common army selection
Maelok is normally played in the Blindwater theme; the difference between an 8 health Posse and a 5 health Posse for forming the bricks his feat enables is fairly huge.
- Gatorman Posse - If you're running an infantry brick this is a good first choice.
- Blind Walker - A spell slinger wants to channel. That's what this beast is for - and Mortality is an excellent spell to arc.
- Gatorman Witch Doctor - Make more of your army undead! That's five more ARM 20 Posse on feat turn!
- Croak Raiders - Croaks love Mortality. And he can't brick with everything.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Maelok looks like a brick caster - but the brick isn't that tough.
Tricks and Tips
- If assassinating, see if you can land Mortality. It's your mainline spell.
Released in Hordes: Domination (2011)