Madrak Ironhide, Thornwood Chieftain
|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Fluff blurb (Copy from PP)
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Madrak1
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Thrown Rathrok - 8" range, POW 15 "gun"
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon can damage incorporeal models.
- Blood Boon - If this weapon kills an enemy, this model can cast a spell of COST 3 or less for free. Blood Boon can only trigger once per activation.
- Ricochet - If this weapon hits you may make another attack against a target within a short distance of your target, ignoring LoS. Ricochets don't bounce again.
- Thrown - If this model has a STR buff/debuff, it is added to the POW of this weapon.
- Rathrok - 2" reach, P+S 15 melee weapon
- Damage Type: Magical - As above
- Blood Boon - As above
- Warlock - All warlocks come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Scroll of Grindar's Perseverance - Once per game, Madrak can take no damage from an attack that hits him. Declare before the damage roll.
- Tactician [Faction warrior] - While in this model's CMD range, friendly Faction warrior models can ignore other friendly Faction warrior models when determining LOS. Friendly Faction warrior models can advance through other friendly Faction warrior models in this model's CMD range if they have enough movement to move completely past them.
- Even Ground - Cost 3
- While in Madrak's CTRL range, friendly Faction models gain +2 DEF and cannot become knocked down. Even Ground lasts for one round.
- Guided Hand - Cost 2, 6" range
- Target friendly Faction model/unit gains an additional die on each model’s next melee attack roll this turn.
- Jackhammer - Cost 1, 6" range
- Target model in the caster's battlegroup immediately makes one basic melee attack.
Feat: Grim Determination
Remove d3 + 3 damage points from friendly Faction models currently in Madrak’s CTRL range. While in Madrak’s CTRL range, friendly Faction models cannot be charged or slam power attacked. Grim Determination lasts for one round.
2017.07 Trollkin CID - Madrak1 got a massive overhaul
- Feat changed (used to grant a free attack)
- Gained Tactician
- Wording of Guided Hand changed so it works a bit more intuitively with out-of-activation attacks.
- Lost Stone Fall and Sure Foot spells and replaced them with Even Ground and Jackhammer.
Thoughts on Madrak1
Madrak1 in a nutshell
Madrak1 is an infantry support warlock who wins by attrition and holding the objective. +2 DEF for the entire army plus no knockdown makes his entire army very annoying to kill.
Maximising his feat & spells
Grim Determination is much better used proactively than reactively; the healing is nice but very seldom game changing.
- Even Ground is his signature ability. +2 DEF and no-knockdown-tough means that grinding through Madrak's army is frequently trying. This spell is frequently cast via Blood Boon from Rathrok.
- Guided Hand is useful - but with Madrak's lack of Fury it's frequently cast via a Trollkin Runebearer
- Jackhammer lets him get excellent use out of hard hitting warbeasts.
With Tactician Madrak is primarily an infantry caster and with no damage buff or shooting support he's a melee caster. This leads inexorably to two themes - Band of Heroes for pure melee and Storm of the North for combined arms. Band of Heroes has the remove from play effect and allows Champions, Warders, the Sons of Bragg, Fennblades, and the Stone Scribe Chronicler. Storm of the North has an advance deploying army and allows DEF 13 Raiders Fire Eaters, and the Bears, and keeps the army safe from Sorscha's feat and the like.
Typical Strategy & Army
Madrak wins by attrition and holding the objective. For this reason he will suffer more against ranged opponents than melee, and will often need to be careful of alpha strikes although his feat can hold off many of them. Madrak himself does best to stand behind a line of units/warbeasts and to throw Rathrok to soften up targets for his warbeasts to kill.
- Dire Troll Mauler - it's just good and Rage really helps anyone in the battle group.
- Trollkin Warders - the formidably tough unit gainns no-knockdown-tough to make it a really hard to break screen.
- Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes - Staple unit in most Trollblood armies, for obvious reasons.
- Runebearer - A free Guided Hand is great.
- Trollkin Champions - Sanguine Bond is amazing with the healing feat, and Defensive Line plus Even Ground makes them DEF 16 in melee.
- Long Riders love being able to charge straight over their skirmish screen and have eight wounds to be healed.
- Northkin Bear Handler & Battle Bears have multiple wounds and are effective in melee.
There are precisely two theme forces that allow Trollkin Champions, Long Riders, and at least another multi-wound infantry unit. Few lists for Madrak1 would work better when not tweaked to fall into one theme or the other.
- Band of Heroes is the default theme force for Madrak and allows Trollkin Warders, Trollkin Fennblades, and provides remove from play effects to prevent recursion lists from working.
- Storm of the North doesn't have any significant benefits to the models (although free stuff is always good) - but does allow you advance deploying models and some ranged infantry.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- His small CTRL area makes him extremely vulnerable to Lamentation, making you rely on Rathrok and Blood Boon to get Even Ground
- He has no damage buffs so needs really hard hitting infantry. Of course much of his favoured infantry hits hard.
Tricks and Tips
- Rathrok can force the enemy to keep their head down.
Released way back in Primal Mk1 (2006)
Themes for any & all warlocks (Edit)
- Band of Heroes - (Article) (Category)
- Kriel Company - (Article) (Category)
- Power of Dhunia - (Article) (Category)
- Storm of the North (Article) (Category)
Other Trollblood models
|Warlocks||Bloody Barnabas - Calaban - Helga - Jaga-Jaga - Lord Carver - Maelok - Midas - Rask - Sturm & Drang|
Requires a 2+ warlock game
|Other Controllers|| Lesser Warlocks: Brun & Lug - Dahlia & Skarath - Rorsh & Brine - Wrongeye & Snapjaw
|Warjacks & Warbeasts||The minion battlegroup members you can include in a Trollblood army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what minions it can control.|
|Minion Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Bog Trog Ambushers - Croak Raiders - Bone Grinders - Brigands - Commandos - Razorback Crew - Slaughterhousers - Bokur & Swamp Shamblers - Gatorman Posse - Gobber Bellows|
|Solos||Mist Speaker - Bog Trog Trawler - Croak Hunter - Efaarit Scouts - Feralgeist - Witch Doctor - Gobber Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Ogrun Bokur - Gobber Chef - Thrullg - Totem Hunter|
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher|
Rules Clarification : Feat : Grim Determination
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)