Madrak Ironhide, Thornwood Chieftain
Fluff blurb (Copy from PP)
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Madrak Ironhide, Thornwood Chieftain
- 3 Other
This model's rules are currently under development
This is a existing model, and the information here is the rules it had before the CID cycle. If you wish to document the CID changes before they're finalised, please do so under the Recent Changes heading.
|Madrak Ironhide, Thornwood Chieftain|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Thrown Rathrok - 8" range, POW 15 "gun"
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon can damage incorporeal models.
- Blood Boon - If this weapon kills an enemy, this model can cast an average cost or less spell for free. Blood Boon can only trigger once per activation.
- Ricochet - If this weapon hits you may make another attack against a target within a short distance of your target, ignoring LoS. Ricochets don't bounce again.
- Thrown - If this model has a STR buff/debuff, it is added to the POW of this weapon.
- Rathrok - 2" reach, P+S 15 melee weapon
- Damage Type: Magical - As above
- Blood Boon - As above
- Warlock - All warlocks come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Scroll of Grindar's Perseverance - Once per game, Madrak can take no damage from an attack that hits him. Declare before the damage roll.
- Guided Hand - Cost 2, 6" range
- Target friendly Faction model/unit gains an extra die on their first melee attack roll in this turn.
- Stone Fall - Cost 3, 8" range, 4" AOE, POW 13
- On a critical hit, models hit lose initial, special, and power attacks for one round.
- Sure Foot - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target friendly Faction model/unit gains +2 DEF and immunity to being knocked down. Models are not affected while out of formation.
Friendly Faction models in his CTRL range make a free attack.
2017.07 Trollkin CID
- Guided Hand changed to model's next attack
Thoughts on Madrak Ironhide, Thornwood Chieftain
Madrak Ironhide, Thornwood Chieftain in a nutshell
Madrak1 is an infantry support warlock who wins by attrition and holding the objective.
Maximising his feat & spells
Typical Strategy & Army
My personal experience with Madrak at 35pts has highlighted that Madrak wins by attrition and holding the objective. For this reason he will suffer more against ranged opponents than melee, and will often need to be careful of alpha strikes. Madrak himself does best to stand behind a line of units/warbeasts and to throw Rathrok to soften up targets for his warbeasts to kill.
Normally fielding Madrak's battlegroup consist of Dire Troll Mauler, Pyre Troll and a Troll Impaler against Hordes or a Slag Troll against Warmachine factions. Madrak will want to target light warbeast/warjacks and infantry where possible and leave the heavier hitting to his Dire Troll Mauler or Rage empowered Pyre Troll / Slag Troll / Troll Impaler. It is often found that a full squad of Trollkin Warders is required to absorb the alpha strike of Madrak's opponents, so that Madrak can re-engage against them with his light warbeasts.
While the the Dire Troll Mauler is quite potentially the biggest powerhouse in the battlegroup, It often takes a support role and cleans up the remains of battered warjacks and warbeasts while handing out its Rage animus. To round the battlegroups points up, take a unit of Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes. Their wonderful armor bonus, makes Madrak's trolls nearly impervious to an alpha strike. The Stone Scribe Chronicler UA makes for a good addition to the force as well, Removing Incorporeal and Stealth from some of the more pesky opponents.
The strategy for the above list is to tie the opponent up with Trollkin Warders, place Madrak 3" behind two of the Trollkin Warders, Keep the light warbeasts a couple of inches behind Madrak, Keep the Dire Troll Mauler 5" on the opposite flank of the opponent and keep the Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes just in range so that there aura catches all of the Trollkin Warders. With proper spacing of pairs the Trollkin Warders will make an effective front-line for Madrak and his warbeasts. If an enemy allows it don't be afraid to let the Trollkin Warders charge into combat as they will benefit from Brutal Charge.
Keep Sure Foot upkept on the Trollkin Warders unless an enemy model engages Madrak, or a warbeast, If the prior occurs, consider casting the Sure Foot on the the threatened model. If a model manages to break the line, the Dire Troll Mauler should turn it into a pancake, Remember to cast Guided Hand before a model/unit charges.
- Diretroll Bomber - With the feat it can have 3 POW 16 shots, 2 of them can be boosted. It can take out 2/3 of a heavy on feat turn.
- Troll Impaler - Adding Far Strike to Rathrok can be really useful.
- Pyre Troll - Adding Flaming Fist to Rathrok will let Madrak deal positive damage to the majority of heavy warjacks and warbeasts, Additionally he will kill most solo units in a single attack. Don't Forget Flaming Fist also adds continuous fire, as well as making Madrak himself immune to fire damage.
- Trollkin Warders - Madrak Casting Sure Foot and standing directly behind these guys creates a formidable front line. The bonus DEF from Sure Foot will make them less favorable targets as their low DEF will become above average. If Trollkin Warders have a group of Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes behind them, they can become as armored as a Khador warjack.
- Slag Troll - Casting Guided Hand will allow the Slag Troll to more reliably damage constructs with Erosion. Effectively allowing the player to roll five dice (with a boosted roll) and keep the highest four. This can easily allow you to trade a Slag Troll for a bigger enemy warjack or construct warbeast. This works even better if the Slag Troll has the Rage Animus.
- Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes - Staple unit in most Trollblood armies, for obvious reasons.
- Runebearer - Madrak has a poor Fury stat. He doesn't like to cast spells and would much rather get them for free from Blood Boon. That being said Runebearer can cast every spell that Madrak knows, better than he can himself. If you have the spare points available, its a sound investment.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Low Fury combined with upkeep spells makes it hard to load the Krielstone.
- He had order of activation issues around his feat and Guided Hand.
- It's hard to work out what he's good at that Borka Kegslayer, Calandra1, or Madrak Ironhide, World Ender wouldn't do better.
Tricks and Tips
Released way back in Primal Mk1 (2006)
Themes for any & all warlocks (Edit)
Other Trollblood models
|Warlocks||Bloody Barnabas - Calaban - Helga - Jaga-Jaga - Lord Carver - Maelok - Midas - Rask - Sturm & Drang|
Requires a 2+ warlock game
|Other Controllers|| Lesser Warlocks: Brun & Lug - Dahlia & Skarath - Rorsh & Brine - Wrongeye & Snapjaw
|Warjacks & Warbeasts||The minion battlegroup members you can include in a Trollblood army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what minions it can control.|
|Minion Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Bog Trog Ambushers - Croak Raiders - Bone Grinders - Brigands - Commandos - Razorback Crew - Slaughterhousers - Bokur & Swamp Shamblers - Gatorman Posse - Gobber Bellows|
|Solos||Mist Speaker - Bog Trog Trawler - Croak Hunter - Efaarit Scouts - Feralgeist - Witch Doctor - Gobber Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Ogrun Bokur - Gobber Chef - Thrullg - Totem Hunter|
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher|