Madrak Ironhide, Thornwood Chieftain
Fluff blurb (Copy from PP)
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Analysis of Madrak Ironhide, Thornwood Chieftain
- 3 Other
- 4 Other Trollbloods Models
|Madrak Ironhide, Thornwood Chieftain|
Weapons and Attacks
- Thrown Rathrok - Short range, high POW.
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon can damage incorporeal models.
- Blood Boon - If this weapon kills an enemy, this model can cast an average cost or less spell for free. Blood Boon can only trigger once per activation.
- Ricochet - If this weapon hits you may make another attack against a target within a short distance of your target, ignoring LoS. Ricochets don't bounce again.
- Thrown - If this model has a STR buff/debuff, it is added to the POW of this weapon.
- Rathrok - Long handled hard hitting axe.
- Warlock - All warlocks come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Scroll of Grindar's Perseverance - 1/game take no damage from an attack that hit you. Declare before the damage roll.
- Guided Hand - Cheap model/unit spell - Roll an extra dice and drop the lowest on first melee attack this turn.
- Stone Fall - Average cost Zap, medium AoE - Critical hit means no initial, special, or power attacks.
- Sure Foot - Cost 2, range 6 upkeep spell. Target freindly Faction model/unit gains +2 DEF and cannot become knocked down. Models are not affected while out of formation.
Friendly faction models in his control area make a free attack.
Analysis of Madrak Ironhide, Thornwood Chieftain
Madrak Ironhide, Thornwood Chieftain in a nutshell
Madrak1 is an infantry support warlock who wins by attrition and holding the objective.
Combos & Synergies
- Troll Impaler - Adding Far Strike to Rathrok can be really useful.
- Pyre Troll - Adding Flaming Fist to Rathrok will let Madrak deal positive damage to the majority of Heavy Warjacks and Warbeasts, Additionally he will kill most solo units in a single attack. Don't Forget Flaming Fist also adds continuous fire, as well as making Madrak himself immune to fire damage.
- Trollkin Warders - Madrak Casting Sure Foot and Standing Directly behind these guys creates a formidable front line. The Bonus Defense from Sure Foot, will make them less favorable targets as their low Defense will become above average. If Trollkin Warders have a group of Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes behind them, they can become as armored as a Khador Warjack.
- Slag Troll - Casting Guided Hand will allow the Slag Troll to more reliably damage constructs with Erosion. Effectively allowing the player to roll 5 dice (with a boosted roll) and keep the highest 4, increasing the Slag Troll's average damage. This can easily allow you to trade a Slag Troll for a bigger enemy Warjack or Construct Warbeast. This works even better if the Slag Troll has the Rage Animus.
- Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes - Staple Unit in most Troll blood armies. Will increase the ARM of other models in your force.
- Runebearer - Madrak has a poor Fury stat. He doesn't like to cast spells and would much rather get them for free from Blood Boon. That being said Runebearer can cast every spell that Madrak knows, additionally better than he can himself, if you have the spare points available, its a sound investment.
Common Army Selection
Understand that below is a user opinion. Thank you.
My Personal experience with Madrak at 35pts has highlighted that Madrak wins by attrition and holding the objective. For this reason he will suffer more against ranged opponents than melee, and will often need to be careful of alpha strikes. Madrak himself does best to stand behind a line of units/Warbeasts and to throw Rathrok to soften up targets for his Warbeasts to kill.
Normally fielding Madrak's battle group consist of Dire Troll Mauler, Pyre Troll and a Troll Impaler against Hordes or a Slag Troll against Warmachine factions. Madrak will want to target light Warbeast/Warjacks and infantry where possible and leave the heavier hitting to his Dire Troll Mauler or Rage empowered Pyre Troll / Slag Troll / Troll Impaler. It is often found that a full squad of Trollkin Warders is required to absorb the alpha strike of Madrak's opponents, so that Madrak can re-engage against them with his light Warbeasts.
While the the Dire Troll Mauler is quite potentially the biggest powerhouse in the battle-group, It often takes a support roll and cleans up the remains of battered Warjacks and Warbeasts whilst handing out its Rage animus to Madrak's Light Warbeasts. To round the battle-groups points up, take a unit of Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes. Their wonderful armor bonus, makes Madrak's trolls nearly impervious to an alpha strike. The Stone Scribe Chronicler UA makes for a good addition to the force as well, Removing Incorporeal and Stealth from some of the more pesky opponents.
The Tactic for the above list is to tie the opponent up with Trollkin Warders, place Madrak 3" behind 2 of the Trollkin Warders, Keep the Light Warbeasts a couple of inches behind Madrak, Keep the Dire Troll Mauler 5" on the opposite flank of the opponent and keep the Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes just in range so that there aura catches all of the Trollkin Warders. With proper spacing of pairs the Trollkin Warders will make effective front-line for Madrak and his Warbeasts. If an enemy allows it don't be afraid to let the Trollkin Warders Charge into combat as they will benefit from Brutal Charge.
Keep Sure Foot up-kept on the Trollkin Warders unless an enemy model engages Madrak, or a Warbeast, If the prior occurs, consider casting the Sure Foot on the the threatened model. If a model manages to break the line, the Dire Troll Mauler should turn it into a pancake, Remember to cast Guided Hand before a model/Unit charges.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Low Fury combined with upkeep spells makes it hard to load the Krielstone
- He had order of activation issues around his feat and Guided Hand.
- It's hard to work out what he's good at that Borka Kegslayer, Calandra1, or Madrak Ironhide, World Ender wouldn't do better.
Tricks and Tactics
Changes from Mk2
He swapped feats with Madrak2 - Madrak2 got the better end of that deal.
Other Trollbloods Models
|Trollblood - Minion models (Edit)|
|Warlocks|| Bloody Barnabas - Calaban - Helga - Jaga-Jaga - Lord Carver - Maelok - Midas - Rask - Sturm & Drang|
Requires a 2+ warlock game
|Other Controllers|| Lesser Warlocks: Brun & Lug - Dahlia & Skarath - Rorsh & Brine - Wrongeye & Snapjaw
|Warjacks & Warbeasts||The minion battlegroup members you can include in a Trollblood army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what minions it can control.|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Bog Trog Ambushers - Croak Raiders - Bone Grinders - Brigands - Commandos - Razorback Crew - Slaughterhousers - Bokur & Swamp Shamblers - Gatorman Posse - Gobber Bellows|
|Solos||Mist Speaker - Bog Trog Trawler - Croak Hunter - Efaarit Scouts - Feralgeist - Witch Doctor - Gobber Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Ogrun Bokur - Gobber Chef - Thrullg - Totem Hunter|
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher|
|Trollbloods - Theme Forces (Edit)|
|Band of Heroes - Power of Dhunia|