Some mercenaries fight for a lost home, for revenge, for adventure. Drake MacBain fights for coin. No mission too dangerous, no battlefield too bloody, he'll work for any of the warring nations of the Iron Kingdoms without moral qualm. MacBain fights with the gritty determination of the hired professional and will let nothing stop him from the completion of his contracts. He is the consummate mercenary and has the tools to finish any job.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Drake
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Dual Hand Cannon - 12" range, ROF 2, POW 12 gun.
- Both Barrels (★ Attack) - This model gains +4 to the damage roll for this attack. This model cannot make additional ranged attacks with this weapon during an activation in which it used Both Barrels.
- Undertaker - 1" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon.
- Mercenary - In a 2+ caster game, he can work as a Cryx mercenary, Cygnar mercenary, Khador mercenary, or Protectorate of Menoth mercenary.
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- Dodge - When an enemy misses this model with an attack at any time except when it is advancing, this model immediately advance 2" ignoring free strikes.
- Gang Fighter - When making a melee attack targeting an enemy model in the melee range of another friendly Faction warrior model, this model gains +2 to melee attack and melee damage rolls.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
Countermeasure - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- While within 5" of target friendly Faction model/unit, enemy models cannot make ranged attacks.
Energizer - Cost 2
- Each model in the caster's battlegroup that is currently in its CTRL range can immediately advance up to 2". Energizer can be cast only once per activation.
Fail-Safe - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target friendly Faction warjack gains +2 ARM and does not suffer the effects of crippled systems.
Fortune - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target friendly Faction model/unit can reroll attack rolls once.
Jackhammer - Cost 1, 6" range
- Target model caster's battlegroup immediately makes one basic melee attack.
Rift - Cost 3, 8" range, 4" AOE, POW 13
- The AOE stays in play for one round as rough terrain.
Feat : True Grit
(Also called "God Mode" or "Ultimate Tough"). Choose d6+5 non-warcaster friendly Faction warrior models in Drake's CTRL range. For one round, when they're disabled, they instead auto-heal 1 damage point and become knocked down.
Thoughts on Drake
Drake MacBain in a nutshell
The mercenary's mercenary. Drake MacBain is a control and support warcaster who himself doesn't do that much, but whose feat allows the Mercenary all stars to employ their abilities without dying and make your opponent's life quite difficult.
How you use Macbain's feat goes quite a long way to determining whether you win or lose. The most common plan is to feat on several members of your Countermeasure unit, run them forward and create a wall beyond which the enemy cannot shoot, then move your army up behind it. This forces the opponent to move up and not shoot or kill anything and take the alpha strike on the chin, or back up and cede scenario play.
Feating on Large or Medium bases can create a wall the enemy cannot bypass and could possibly be used to get far up on scenario.
It is also helpful to have a way around the knockdown effect.
- A Freebooter can prevent knockdown on feat turn.
- Boomhowler's Reveille fell call can remove knockdown from models the turn after you feat, even solos and other units. This is integral to a strong Macbain list.
- A unit of Press Gangers with Bosun Grogspar won't be knocked down on feat turn.
- Countermeasure - Macbain's signature spell. This spell is best used on whatever obnoxious advance deploying unit you have. Feat on that unit and run it way up the board.
- Energizer - Energizer is a wonderful spell, but whether Macbain uses it or not depends on whether you brought a Galleon or Nomads.
- Fail Safe - Best used on Galleons as they become more difficult to remove and dangerous until completely destroyed. Far less effective on other warjacks, but you'll want to put it on something.
- Fortune - Macbain's hit buff. As hit buffs go, it's one of the weaker ones, but it goes well with combined ranged/melee attacks and Jackhammer.
- Jackhammer - This is Macbain's damage buff. Most effective when paired with a Galleon.
- Rift - Used only in the late game when Macbain has to get things done himself or if you really need some rough terrain.
Typical Army & Strategy
Macbain plays well into most gun lines by creating an unkillable jamming wall of anti-shooting with his feat and countermeasure followed by a big alpha strike. He can also jam melee armies by putting unkillable bodies in their way to get the alpha. Watch out for Grievous Wounds, Entropic Force and Mortality.
With the advent of SR 2017, Macbain is in the unique position of being able to cheat the scenarios to some extent. With his feat, he can send a speedy model like a Kayazy Eliminator or a meager Press Ganger into your opponent's backfield to contest a zone or flag, and if they do not have a way to stop healing or to move that model, they will not score points on their turn. In scenarios like Spread the Net, this allows Macbain to get up on points extremely fast. This forces your opponent into a terrible position as they will need to sacrifice models to stay in the game and you will not be losing anything if you play Macbain's feat turn well.
Macbain has three upkeeps, Jackhammer and Energizer. With 6 FOC to spend between those spells, his army needs to be constructed with a plan in mind because you can't use all his tools. If you bring a Galleon for Failsafe and Jackhammer, that's probably the only jack you'll have the focus to run. If you want to use Energizer with Nomads, you won't bring the Galleon.
The next decision to make is what to cast Countermeasure on. In Kingmakers, Rangers are a tremendous option because they run 14", Advance Deploy and give a hit boost to the Galleon. Outside of Kingmakers, Kayazy Assassins are popular due to having Stealth and needing no help from Macbain to do their jobs. Press Gangers are another fine choice as a cheap Advance Deploy unit to throw into your opponent's face quickly and not care if they die. Plus they can make more of themselves.
Greygore Boomhowler is a good pick thanks to Reveille standing up the models that get knocked down on Macbain's feat turn as well as an unkillable Cacaphony bubble if you can pull it off.
Trencher Infantry or Croe's Cutthroats are fine targets for Fortune in the Kingmaker theme. Steelhead Halberdiers are always solid, and Steelhead Heavy Cavalry make good feat targets for an alpha strike, especially with Boomhowler nearby. In Irregulars, Kayazy Eliminators are great for feating and contesting zones, especially if you can get Boomhowler to stand them up. Fortune on Eiryss1 wins games. If you feat on Eilish Garrity and run him, he could remove your opponent's upkeeps the following turn.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- With Jackhammer as his only damage buff, he has a bit of trouble with lots of ARM unless he brings help.
- Failsafe is his only defensive spell for when the lines close and shooting becomes less important.
- Upkeep removal ruins his day. Watch out for Rebuke and Purification.
- Anything that prevents healing, like Grievous Wounds or Entropic Force, shuts down his feat.
Tricks & Tips
- An unboosted Both Barrels attack is likely to do about the same amount of damage as a boosted-for-free charge attack, but has the added bonus of keeping you a lot further away from the enemy.
- Use power models like Boomhowler, Eiryss1, Croe, Eilish and Orin to create no-shoot, no-magic bubbles that can't be killed and threaten assassination to create layers of control your opponent will have to chew clock to unravel.
Originally released in Forces of Warmachine: Mercenaries (July 2010)
Warjacks he can take
|Mercenary Warjacks (Edit)|
|Light||Buccaneer - Renegade (Magnus only) - Talon - Vanguard|
|Heavy|| Freebooter - Mangler - Mariner - Mule - Nomad - Rover|
Gallant - Rocinante
Other Mercenary models
Rules Clarification : Countermeasure - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Fortune - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Fail-Safe - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Rift - None yet. (Edit)