Lord Commander Stryker
|Articles you can help complete (Edit)|
As Cygnar is besieged on all sides King Leto turns to the only man that can save the jewel of the Iron Kingdoms, Lord Commander Stryker. He is the one man that has stood with unfailing loyalty throughout the constant warfare and strife.. he is Cygnar's hope.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Lord Commander Stryker
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Quicksilver Mk II - 2" reach, P+S 15 melee weapon
- Magnum - 10" range, POW 12, ROF 2 gun
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- Overload - Choose between 1 and 3 dice to roll. Roll them once, and add that to your STR for the rest of your activation. Roll them again, and take that much damage. You can't spend focus to reduce this damage.
- Immunity: Electricity - This model is not damaged by electric weapons, and is ignored when determining lightning arcs.
Feat : Rolling Thunder
After all friendly models have completed their activations this turn, friendly Faction models/units currently in Stryker's control range can advance up to 3" and then make one basic melee attack. When resolving these attacks, affected models can spend focus points to boost one attack or damage roll for each focus point spent.
- Rebuke - Cost 2, 10" range, Offensive Upkeep
- Target model/unit cannot give orders, receive orders, make power attacks, or make special attacks.
- Deceleration - Cost 3
- For one round, friendly Faction models in the caster's CTRL range gain +2 ARM against ranged and magic attacks.
- Lightning Storm - Cost 3, 8" range, 3" AOE, POW 10
- All models in the AOE suffer a POW 10 electrical damage roll. Also, it is a hazard that stays in play for one round and does POW 10 electrical damage to anyone entering or ending their turn in it.
- Positive Charge - Cost 2, 6" range
- Target friendly Faction warjack gains +2 to melee attack and melee damage rolls. Also, while within 3" of the warjack, friendly Faction models gain the same bonus. Lasts for one turn.
- Velocity - Cost (★)
- The caster can spend up to 3 focus on this spell. For each focus spent, the caster can move up to 2". Can only be cast once per activation.
Thoughts on Lord Commander Stryker
Lord Commander Stryker in a Nutshell
Lord Commander Stryker wants to get up to the enemy warcaster and hit them...hard. In the best case scenario with Overload (and that's before any damage buffs), he can be P+S 33 in melee. Even with an average Overload roll, most enemy warcasters will die to one or two hits from Stryker regardless of how much Focus they have.
Typical Strategy & Army
Stryker2's main win condition is assassination. Charge plus velocity plus taking damage to get an absurd strength gives a 17" non-linear threat range. Positive charge and Rebuke between them plus an attrition feat make him not bad at attrition.
Between Deflection and his feat, Stryker2 can also manage a tolerable scenario game against ranged armies or armies full of fragile models. While running units and then feating to jam an opponent out of a scenario is obviously much worse than getting both a charge and a feat attack for every model in your army, the overwhelming speed of such a strategy can provide critical positioning to push for a win.
Stuff you take in his army to help him achieve this victory is...
- Major Harrison Gibbs can heal Stryker back up to full health if you want to get off a good Overloaded attack. Optionally, it means you can Overload to destroy one key target, then heal back to full to either take damage or go for another Overload later in the game.
- A Squire is helpful to ensure that as many models as possible are affected by his feat as well as getting an extra attack or boost. The reroll to hit can be handy if you want to Rebuke a target.
- Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios can remove Focus and Fury from enemy Warcasters/Warlocks. With Overload, he isn't always worried about Warcasters, but removing all of the fury from a Warlock will make them easy meat for his melee attacks.
- Any source of Shield Guard is worth considering. A Sentinel is a good 'jack for a Journeyman Warcaster, who you'll probably be taking anyway.
- Lanyssa Ryssyl is a good way to get him much further up the table to a key target thanks to Hunter's Mark. Even if your assassination target is not in her range, or has a low probability of hitting, there is the option of putting the spell on a nearer model with a lower DEF. You then charge that model, moving as far as you can, then using Velocity to get to their caster.
- Thorn or a Lancer for Positive Charge and Rebuke where you need them
- Arcane Tempest Gun Mages or Stormsmith Grenadiers are both good at moving enemy troops out of the way.
- Any Storm Knight infantry really likes Deceleration to make them much more resistant to incoming fire.
- Storm Lances can be brutal between their charge and his feat. The additional electro-leaps make for a huge attrition swing against against infantry, especially if your opponent has tried to layer his defence to absorb their charge and counter-attack next turn.
- Melee troops love his feat.
Drawbacks, Downsides, & Bad Match-Ups
- Overload is dangerous - even on maximum health, if he rolls 17 or 18 when overloading on 3 dice Stryker is dead.
- Warlocks can transfer away every single point of an overloaded hit.
- But with typically lower ARM than Warcasters, their beasts are going to end up badly beaten up if Stryker can consistently hit, which is almost as good as winning on assassination. Right?
- If the beasts straight out die to the transferred damage, the Warlock suffers the excess damage.
- He wants to bring a source of pathfinder such as Archduke Runewood or Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord, otherwise some opposing factions will take his assassination threat straight off the table.
- His MAT is fair, but not stellar for a melee assassin 'caster.
- Runewood can come to Stryker's rescue yet again with Path to Victory, even if it is for just one attack. However, this would only be for a charge attack, so if he charges one model, then velocity to the real target, it is wasted.
- Matchups against ranged armies that include plenty of blessed weapons can significantly negate his deceleration buff and preference of taking a journeyman for Arcane Shield.
Tricks & Tips
- If you really want to keep Stryker alive, you can stack Arcane Shield, Dirge of Mists and Stryker's Deceleration to make him DEF 18 and ARM 21 against ranged and magical attacks.
- Be cautious with the Magnum - if you're standing in range and not engaging in melee with Stryker, there should be a pretty good reason.
- Don't have a direct line to charge the enemy caster? Use Velocity to set up a better angle.
- The enemy caster is bunkered up behind some beasts or jacks? Charge them instead, destroy them and Velocity into the gap to get at the squishy caster behind.
- Threatening an assassination run is often more powerful than the run itself. Use that to psych out our opponent and make them brick up harder than they need to.
- Do your math, whether or not you'll need the 3 extra die on his attacks. Even unharmed, there is nearly 2% chance that he'll die because you rolled 17 or 18 on 3 dice for your damage - and there's hardly a more frustrating scenario, than giving away a sure win because of that.
Comparison to Mk2
He lost his elite cadre with Stormblade Infantry and Magnum no longer causes disruption. You can't spam rebuke at people any more since it's an upkeep in Mk3.
Themes for any-and-all casters (Edit)
- Gravediggers - (Article) (Category)
- Heavy Metal (Article) (Category)
- Sons of the Tempest - (Article) (Category)
- Storm Division - (Article) (Category)
Other Cygnar models