Lord Commander Stryker
|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
As Cygnar is besieged on all sides King Leto turns to the only man that can save the jewel of the Iron Kingdoms, Lord Commander Stryker. He is the one man that has stood with unfailing loyalty throughout the constant warfare and strife.. he is Cygnar's hope.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Lord Commander Stryker
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Quicksilver Mk II - 2" reach, P+S 15 melee weapon
- Magnum - 10" range, POW 12, ROF 2 gun
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Overload - Choose between 1 and 3 dice to roll. Roll them once, and add that to your STR for the rest of your activation. Roll them again, and take that much damage. You can't spend focus to reduce this damage.
- Immunity: Electricity - This model does not suffer electrical damage, and is ignored when determining lightning arcs.
Feat : Rolling Thunder
After all friendly models have completed their activations this turn, friendly Faction models/units currently in Stryker's control range can advance up to 3" and then make one basic melee attack. When resolving these attacks, affected models can spend focus points to boost one attack or damage roll for each focus point spent.
- Rebuke - Cost 2, 10" range, Offensive Upkeep
- Target model/unit cannot give orders, receive orders, make power attacks, or make special attacks.
- Deceleration - Cost 3
- For one round, friendly Faction models in the caster's CTRL range gain +2 ARM against ranged and magic attacks.
- Lightning Storm - Cost 3, 8" range, 3" AOE, POW 10
- All models in the AOE suffer a POW 10 electrical damage roll. Also, it is a hazard that stays in play for one round and does POW 10 electrical damage to anyone entering or ending their turn in it.
- Positive Charge - Cost 2, 6" range
- Target friendly Faction warjack gains +2 to melee attack and melee damage rolls. Also, while within 3" of the warjack, friendly Faction models gain the same bonus. Lasts for one turn.
- Velocity - Cost (★)
- The caster can spend up to 3 focus on this spell. For each focus spent, the caster can move up to 2". Can only be cast once per activation.
Thoughts on Lord Commander Stryker
Lord Commander Stryker in a Nutshell
Evolving from the master of support and attrition, Lord Commander Stryker became Cygnar's first and foremost melee assassin caster. His unaided threat range is no less than 17", and with his signature Overload ability he will punch enemy casters into kingdom come. In the best case scenario with Overload (and that's before any damage buffs), he can be P+S 33 in melee. Even with an average Overload roll, most enemy warcasters will die to one or two hits from Stryker regardless of how much Focus they have.
This feat is easy to forget, especially if you concentrate to pull off an assassination run with Stryker. The extra 3" movement stacks nicely with additional movement shenanigans, like Reposition, or Polarity Shield, if you want to steer clear from the enemy's retaliation. Alternatively, you can use it to dig deeper into the enemy's lines. The extra attack is mainly used to finish off targets, who barely survived an assault from your army, or Stryker himself.
Stryker2's main win condition is assassination. His non-linear 17" threat range comprises up to 6" with Velocity, and his normal charge range of 11". Positive charge and Rebuke between them plus his feat make him not bad at attrition.
Between Deflection and his feat, Stryker2 can also manage a tolerable scenario game against ranged armies or armies full of fragile models. While running units and then feating to jam an opponent out of a scenario is obviously much worse than getting both a charge and a feat attack for every model in your army, the overwhelming speed of such a strategy can provide critical positioning to push for a win.
- Major Harrison Gibbs - Hot meal can heal Stryker back up to full health if you want to get off a good Overloaded attack. Optionally, it means you can Overload to destroy one key target, then heal back to full to either take damage or go for another Overload later in the game.
- Squire - just like every incarnation, Stryker2 is often FOCUS strapped. This attachment can help you out for 3 turns, plus give additional CTRL to catch as many models as possible by the feat as well as getting an extra attack or boost. The reroll to hit can be handy if you want to Rebuke a target.
- Eyriss1 - Removing Focus and Fury from enemy Warcasters/Warlocks will ensure they have nothing to defend against your Overload attacks.
- Any source of Shield Guard is worth considering. A Sentinel is a good 'jack for a Journeyman Warcaster, who you'll probably be taking anyway.
- Lanyssa Ryssyl is a good way to get him much further up the table to a key target thanks to Hunter's Mark. Even if your assassination target is not in her range, or has a low probability of hitting, there is the option of putting the spell on a nearer model with a lower DEF. You then charge that model, moving as far as you can, then using Velocity to get to their caster.
- Thorn or a Lancer for Positive Charge and Rebuke where you need them
- Arcane Tempest Gun Mages or Stormsmith Grenadiers are both good at moving enemy troops out of the way.
- Any Storm Knight infantry really likes Deceleration to make them much more resistant to incoming fire.
- Storm Lances can be brutal between their charge and his feat. The additional electro-leaps make for a huge attrition swing against against infantry, especially if your opponent has tried to layer his defence to absorb their charge and counter-attack next turn.
- Melee troops love his feat.
Drawbacks, Downsides, & Bad Match-Ups
- Overload is dangerous - even on maximum health Stryker dies, if you roll 17 or 18 on Overload.
- Tricks which deny charging, FOCUS spending or melee attacks will cause you a lot of headache.
- Prone to support bloat
- No native Pathfinder, Runewood or Rhupert are strongly advised.
Tricks & Tips
- Warlocks can transfer away an Overloaded hit up to the remaining health boxes of their beasts, but must suffer the excess damage. Be on the lookout, that upon their beasts' death they can reave Fury from them (if they had any, that is), getting additional Fury for transfers, and start it all over. It is not always bad, as it can leave the warlock with a pretty banged-up battlegroup, but be absolutely sure that they cannot respond in kind, after you made them a thorough beating.
- If you really want to keep Stryker alive, you can stack Arcane Shield, Dirge of Mists and Stryker's Deceleration to make him DEF 18 and ARM 21 against ranged and magical attacks. Matchups against ranged armies with plenty of blessed weapons can still significantly negate your defensive measires, as they can ignore both Deceleration and Arcane Shield.
- Be cautious with the Magnum - if you're standing in range and not engaging in melee with Stryker, there should be a pretty good reason.
- Don't have a direct line to charge the enemy caster? Use Velocity to set up a better angle.
- The enemy caster is bunkered up behind some beasts or jacks? Charge them instead, destroy them and Velocity into the gap to get at the squishy caster behind.
- Threatening an assassination run is often more powerful than the run itself. Use that to psych out our opponent and make them brick up harder than they need to.
- Do your math, whether or not you'll need the 3 extra die on his attacks. Even unharmed, there is nearly 2% chance that he'll die because you rolled 17 or 18 on 3 dice for your damage - and there's hardly a more frustrating scenario, than giving away a sure win because of that.
Themes for any-and-all casters (Edit)
- Gravediggers - (Article) (Category)
- Heavy Metal (Article) (Category)
- Sons of the Tempest - (Article) (Category)
- Storm Division - (Article) (Category)
Other Cygnar models
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)