Lord Arcanist Ossyan
The fundamental laws of reality twist and shatter beneath the will of Ossyan, Lord Arcanist of House Vyre. Time bends with but a gesture from him, and he can alter his perception to see the convergence of fate. Armed with perfect foresight he is a deadly combatant and battlefield general. Ossyan’s myrmidons and soldiers move with the assurance of destiny as he unleashes House Vyre’s sophisticated armaments upon the enemies of the Retribution.
|Lord Arcanist Ossyan|
Weapons & Attacks
- Chronophage Cannon - 12" range, POW 13, ROF 1 ranged attack
- Locus - 1" reach, P+S 11 melee attack
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- Field Marshal [Future Sight] - Warbeasts/warjacks in this model's battlegroup gain Future Sight.
- Future Sight - This model may boost after rolling.
- Admonition - COST 2, RNG 6", UPKEEP
When an enemy model advances and ends its movement within 6" of target model in the spellcasters's battlegroup, the affected model can immediately advance up to 3", then Admonition expires. The affected model cannot be targeted by free strikes during this movement.
- Arcantrik Bolt - Low cost, average range good POW offensive spell. If a warjack is damaged by this, causes stationary for one round.
- Quicken - Cost 3, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target friendly Faction model/unit gains +2 SPD and DEF against ranged and magic attack rolls.
- Shatter Storm - Upkeep which gives a model/unit Detonator. (Detonator - Center a small AoE on models boxed by an attack from this model.)
- Fortune - Short range, low cost - Target friendly faction model/unit can reroll attack rolls once.
- Gravity Well - Enemy models in his control range roll one less damage die for ranged attacks. Friendly Faction models roll one additional damage die on ranged attacks against enemy models in his control range.
Analysis of Lord Arcanist Ossyan
Lord Arcanist Ossyan in a nutshell
Range buffing combined with a slew of movement tricks. Being able to one round a Stormwall from range and spending less then it's points cost to do so is not something that most armies can boast of.
Between Fortune and his feat Ossyan is the premier gunline caster in Retribution and shows that most problems can be solved by throwing more dice at them. Quicken helps to deliver models to the right locations or protects a melee screen on the way in, Fortune and his gun ensures that high defence can be mitigated, while the Feat means that all but the most extreme armour will crumple. Admonition keeps him or his battlegroup safe from retaliation, with Arcantrik Bolt and Shatter Storm being more situational but useful tools (extra control and remove from play respectively).
Common army selection
- Banshee/Moros/Hypnos - All three serve the function of adding extra ranged defence debuffs, though their relative power varies according to who you face. They all have other utility functions as well, the Banshee hits the hardest of the three and can deny spell casting, while Hypnos has an arc node and is extremely accurate in melee. Moros is cheaper and has the shortest range, but the higher speed, higher defense, and stealth can let him get into places that the heavier jacks can not.
- Imperatus - A less frequent selection, but it is possible to make a list that instead of relying on the feat for battlegroup destruction instead uses melee jacks, with Quicken to deliver them, Admonition to keep them safe afterwards, and the Field Marshal to ensure they get full effect of their focus load.
- Stormfall Archers - Best ranged armour breaking unit in the game, especially on a per points basis, with their only weakness being low natural accuracy. Since Ossyan lists tend to be full of defence debuffs you can generally mitigate this. When there are no hard targets available blasts can get some work done.
- Mage Hunter Strike Force - The unit that lets you one round Stormwalls. Acceptable accuracy combined with Jack Hunter results in warjacks evaporating under feat, and they act as good infantry killers on other turns. Be aware of cost however, especially where the standard CA is concerned.
- Other ranged units - Ossyan can make just about anything ranged work effectively with his buff suite. Electromancers provide efficient infantry clearing and magic weapons, Houseguard Riflemen with the Thane give an out to stealth, Invictors provide high accuracy and power at the expense of other tricks, and Nyss Hunters give a way of ignoring cover while being surprisingly capable in melee when required. You can't fit everything in, so plan your matchups carefully.
- Melee units - While some of the ranged units can front line if required such as the Strike Force and Nyss Hunters, you generally want to keep them shooting, so a screening unit can be helpful. Halberdiers were the most popular option in MK2 and are essentially unchanged, covering a large footprint while being a significant threat to almost anything if allowed to get a charge off. Sentinels are expensive but very hardy and have good offensive output for a more combined arms list. Mage Hunter Infiltrators are totally self sufficient and the cheapest option, but can only tackle light infantry and have a minimal footprint due to low melee range.
Drawbacks and Downsides
Ossyan has a habit of getting himself killed on feat turn. The feat requires the enemy models to be within 14" of him, so anything you don't kill will probably look to retaliate against him. Admonition can keep you safe from melee, while the feat itself blunts ranged retaliation (be aware of snipe letting guns stay outside his control range), but he is rather vulnerable to magic based attacks. It is perfectly possible for a couple of boosted nukes to kill him if he drains himself of focus, so ration your focus usage on feat turn as much as possible and don't extend any further then you need to. Have a back up plan to keep enemy models pinned if the dice go south and you end up with a heavy or colossal alive after significant shooting.
Ossyan has no way of innately mitigating stealth. Boosted blast damage provides one way out, as is the Houseguard Thane, but you probably don't want to play him into a caster with Occultation. On a similar note, anyone capable of spamming clouds or forests can be trouble due to blocking sight lanes.
As with all forces that look to take a high volume of guns pay attention to high speed troops on the other side of the table. Running units into melee is an effective tactic at neutralising gunlines with inadequate screening or clearing potential.
Tricks and Tactics
Changes from Mk II
Add Fortune, gains Future Sight instead of Chronomancer, gun debuff is no longer an AOE and won't stop charges, but does cut walk distance. Generally improved, but because of warjack changes you will be unable to port lists directly from MK2. You probably don't want to keep A&H in the list and your solo budget will be tight.
Retribution of Scyrah Models
|Retibution of Scyrah - Mercenary/Minion models (Edit)|
|Units||Lady Aiyana & Master Holt|
|Solos||Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan|
|Retribution of Scyrah - Theme Forces (Edit)|
|Forges of War|