Long Gunner Infantry
Renowned for their legendary skill and repeating rifles, the Long Gunners are among the finest riflemen in the Iron Kingdoms. Their level of dedication and skill prove invaluable in their role as soldiers at the core of Cygnar’s modern army, and each of these disciplined soldiers is expert in the use of the repeating long gun. In unison, these well-trained riflemen concentrate their fire and release barrages of withering shots that tear through the enemy.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Long Gunner Infantry
- 3 Other
This model's rules are currently under development
This is a existing model, and the information here is the rules it had before the CID cycle. If you wish to document the CID changes before they're finalised, please do so under the Recent Changes heading.
|Long Gunner Infantry|
|Unit Size|| 6/10|
- Everyone except the Standard Bearer
- Repeating Long Gun - Long range, low POW gun.
- Sword - Short length, very low P+S melee weapon. If you ever use it, it's probably game over anyway.
- Standard Bearer
- Sword - As above
- Entire Unit
- Officer only
- The officer has +1 MAT & RAT
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Flawless Maneuvers (Minifeat) - Once per game the unit gains Reposition. (Reposition [_"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to _", then its activation ends.)
- Granted: Trained Fire - While this model is still alive and in formation all of the unit gains Trained Fire. (Trained Fire - Gain an additional die on ranged attack rolls against targets at close range.)
- Tactics: Practiced Maneuvers - The unit gains Practiced Maneuvers. (Practiced Maneuvers - Each model in this unit can ignore other models in this unit when determining LOS and can advance through them if it has enough movement to move completely past them.)
- Standard only
2017.06 Trencher CID
Thoughts on Long Gunner Infantry
Long Gunner Infantry in a nutshell
Long Gunners, along with the Winter Guard Rifle Corps and the Houseguard Riflemen have the longest range in the game among the ranged infantry units. Beside having access to Practiced Maneuvers, Khador has weapon attachments to boost the damage output, the Retribution has ways to engage targets in melee, and Cygnar can sport some extra mobility with Flawless Maneuvers. Long Gunners are also unique with their dual shots, capable throwing as many bullets down the battlefield as possible. With two long range shots per model and the potential of two large combined ranged attacks they can hit hard for ranged infantry. The standard bearer doesn't add much (a sword in a shooty unit? duh'). The officer however brings not only an extra gun, but also flexibility in positioning, which is important.
Combos & Synergies
Long Gunners are an odd unit, which requires practice to master in the changed environment of Mk3. They are known and feared by their superior range (with Snipe they are able to deliver a CRA up to 24" away) and anyone who ever encountered them, will try to evade and/or kill them. Operating on their own they are little more than mediocre area denial units and ranged deterrent - use the various Cygnar's support to make the most out of them.
Any caster can support ranged units, but here are some of particular note:
- Commander Coleman Stryker - half of his spells on the list offer direct support for your Gunners, while Earthquake will set targets up for the killing blow. Don't forget, knocked-down enemies cannot engage, and cannot be engaged, so feel free to CRA them. His feat also offers notable protection against incoming fire.
- Captain Victoria Haley - Spell supports from Arcane Shield, Deadeye and Temporal Barrier are readily available, but this unit can bring a lot out of her feat as well.
- Lieutenant Allister Caine - 3 out of his 5 spells are direct support for them, boosting their range, accuracy, or defence.
- Major Markus “Siege” Brisbane - Foxhole helps their survival, and there are few better things than delivering a full-unit CRA under his feat.
- Major Beth Maddox - Snipe extends threat range, while Dauntless resolve will boost their survive skills, once they will be in range for enemy retaliation.
- Commander Dalin Sturgis - Snipe and Arcane shield are self evident. Use his feat to bring elusive targets inside his CTRL area within distance for Trained Fire.
- Captain Allister Caine - his only notable spell is Fire for Effect, but it has an excellent boost on every ranged unit in the Cygnar arsenal. Sadly, only their first shot will benefit from the spell, but still worth a consideration.
- Major Victoria Haley - she herself lacks ways of damage buffing on units, and CRA can be a solution for this. With smart positioning they can capitalize her board controlling feat.
- Lord Commander Stryker - his list normally doesn't favour Long Gunners, but since enemies under Rebuke can neither charge or run toward your gunline, nor can enter to Shield Wall, it allows your Long Gunners to play a bit more forward.
Special mention: Both Magnus - The Kingmaker's Army - While the epic incarnation helps them with de-buffing their targets, and limiting their move under feat, the prime version offers direct support with 2 spells. Also, the Renegade's Obliteration rocket assassination happens at long range, and sometimes needs a follow-up unit for attack - the Long Gunners suit the task very well.
Units and solos
- An officer is strongly advised to boost their ability to reposition and engage flanking targets. Once added, keep in mind the minifeat. It has both offensive and defensive uses, from entering back into cover after a CRA to push on to contest a zone you managed to clear.
- Trencher Infantry cooperate well with Long gunners. They can deploy smoke, both with their Special Action, and with their "Into the Breach" minifeat, after the Long Gunners made their attacks.
- Rangers will help them out with elusive targets.
- The Gun Mage Captain Adept has all the support tools to effectively help them, especially with Flare and Shadow Fire. Taryn Di La Rovissi and Ace in a Caine battlegroup is also a good choice for clearing the path from unwanted LOS blockers with Shadow fire.
- The usual support trio of Lady Aiyana & Master Holt, Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist, and Ragman can further enhance their damage. Watch out for the enemy's melee range, if you use Ragman's Death Field - you cannot CRA into close combat. Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord can also boost their survival, but usually, the bold musician offers more for melee troops.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- They have very strong in-faction substitutes. Without mastering their use, their presence easily becomes redundant.
- Individually they lack the same hitting power, as charging infantry. It takes a six person CRA to be as powerful as a single charging POW 12 trooper like a member of the Silver Line Stormguard.
- Arcane Tempest Gun Mages are as accurate with their snipe bullets as a Long Gunner that's part of a two person CRA - and far superior when moving and shooting. They also have some cute tricks. They lack the potential volume of attacks, however, and have to rely on their Critical Brutal Damage shots to harm targets, that a Long Gunner unit with CRA reliably can.
- The Stormsmith Storm Tower costs only very slightly more than a pair of Long Gunners. It sports the same range, slightly higher RAT, and superior POW for its initial shot. The extra lightnings mean that 2 of them are likely to cause the same number of hits upon infantries, as a minimum unit of Long Gunners. It has a higher DEF, but lower ARM, which is somewhat compensated by Take up. They can also take advantage of the various lightning buffs like the Firefly. However, it lacks the mobility of the Long Gunners.
- Incoming fire has right of way - and Long Gunners have terrible DEF and ARM so they die horribly.
- Their main selling point is their superior range, which worth way less against enemies with access to various ways of screening (AOEs, feats, etc).
Tricks & Tips
- In the current meta, it is incredibly important to be able to break armor due to the prevalence of warjacks and warbeasts. As such, Long Gunners tend to be less popular. On the plus side, since big guns appear in ever increasing number, their shots are kind of waste upon the squishy Long Gunners. 2 boosted shots from a Stormwall's Big Guns will likely cripple a heavy warjack/beast, but will only slightly decrease the effectiveness of a Long Gunner unit.
- The Mk3 change in how focus camping works now means that even weaker shots (such as Long Gunners) can hurt warcasters, especially squishy ones. If the opportunity presents itself, feel free to riddle the target with bullets. They will be forced to make decisions, just like warlocks in Hordes: shall they spend focus on a few points of damage, or keep it for more serious attacks?
- If you're going to pepper them with attacks, do it early in your turn before your real big guns activate - regardless of whether those guns will be shooting the same target. Just the mere threat of the big guns hanging over them will make your opponent more likely to save their camp and allow a little bit of damage from the Gunners to get through.
- If you aim with the primary attacker, and move with the other participant(s) you'll still get the aiming bonus for a CRA (but lose the moving models' second shot).
- Measure the target number to find balance between quality and quantity shots. An aiming 2-men CRA is technically RAT 9 - but do you need it? Maybe standard shots would give you more damage.
Notable changes from Mk2
- They got slightly cheaper - and lost a point of DEF.
- Practiced Maneuvers now allow them greater flexibility in positioning.
- Lost Covering Fire, gained Flawless Maneuvers and Trained Fire.
- Biggest change in Mk3 is pre-measure. Now, you can - no, you MUST - use every fraction inch of their threat range.
- The unit (not including CA) was originally released in Warmachine: Prime (2003)
- The CA was released in Warmachine: Superiority (2006)
- The Kingmaker's Army (Mercenary Theme Force)
Other Cygnar models
Note to Editors