Lich Lord Asphyxious
|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Asphyxious has become the Dragonfather’s chosen instrument on the mainland and the unholy general of the rapacious unliving army of Cryx. Wherever he goes, he leaves behind him ashen fields of lifeless grasses and withered trees. Blackened corpses and bubbling pools of gore are all that remain of his victims. A prime source of the cancer feeding upon western Immoren, he gleefully spreads the shadow of the Dragonlord’s wings. It is a shadow that will one day, by his efforts, extend across all Caen.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Lich Lord Asphyxious
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Daeamortus - 2" reach, P+S 15 melee weapon.
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Undead - This model is an undead model and not a living model.
- Soul Reaper (★ Action) - Place a large AOE that does no damage anywhere in CTRL range; for one round you gain souls from enemies killed within the AOE. But while the AOE is in play you have no melee range and can't make melee attacks.
- Soul Taker: Cull Soul - This model can gain soul tokens. When a living enemy model is destroyed within 2" of this model, this model gains the destroyed model's soul token. After this model replenishes focus during the next Control Phase, replace each soul token with 1 focus point.
Feat: Spectral Legion
Return up to d3+5 destroyed small- or medium-based Grunts that were part of a friendly Faction unit to play, placing them completely within 3" of Asphyxious. Returned models gain Undead, Ghostly, become solos, and cannot be attacked or damaged for one turn. Returned models must charge during their activations and leave play at the end of this turn. (Ghostly - This model can advance through terrain and obstacles without penalty and can advance through obstructions if it has enough movement to move completely past them. It cannot be targeted by free strikes.)
- Caustic Mist - Cost 2
- Place a 3" AOE completely within Asphyxious's CTRL range. It is a cloud that lasts one round, and models that walk around in it suffer 1 point of corrosion damage.
- Death Knell - Cost 4, 8" range, 4" AOE, POW 10 + (★)
- The POW is increased by +1 for each model under the AOE.
- Excarnate - Cost 3, 10" range, POW 13
- If this spell boxes a living enemy warrior it is RFP'd. Then you can choose to add one (small-based) Grunt to a friendly Faction undead unit in your CTRL range. The Grunt is placed within 3" of the caster, in formation, and must forfeit its Combat Action this turn.
- Hellbound - Cost 3
- For one round Asphyxious can't be charged or Power Attack Slammed. Also, while within 5" of him, enemy models treat open terrain as rough terrain.
- Parasite - Cost 3, 8" range, Offensive Upkeep
- Target model/unit suffers -3 ARM and the spellcaster gains +1 ARM.
- Teleport - Cost 2, RNG Self
- Place the spellcaster anywhere completely within 6" of its current location, then its activation ends.
Thoughts on Lich Lord Asphyxious
Lich Lord Asphyxious in a nutshell
Lich Lord Asphyxious is a strong attrition caster, although no longer the horrifying tournament staple he was in Mark 2 (largely due to nerfs to Excarnate).
Maximising his feat & spells
His big thing is bringing back half a dozen Bane Warriors with his feat and wrecking just about anything thanks to their charge. On feat turn he normally protects himself either by teleporting clear or by Hellbound to prevent charges.
- Hellbound and Teleport are both ways to keep him safe
- Parasite is a mainstay spell of his for crushing armour.
- His zaps are both situational
- Caustic Mist is really useful but too small to be major control
Typical Strategy & Army
Strategy Gaspy2 is an almost pure attrition caster, doing little to force the enemy out of zones although he has a huge threat from his feat.
- Bane Warriors are ubiquitous with Gaspy2; his feat wants some scary chargers that can smash armour to pieces and Bane Warriors qualify in spades.
- An arc node or two to Parasite.
- A Soul Trapper or two to charge him up.
- Sometimes he takes a few Bloodgorgers if he wants to try his feat against infantry. This is better than nothing but vastly sub-par.
Drawbacks, Downsides, & Bad Match-Ups
- Enemies spamming Removed From Play effects heavily can neutralise his feat.
- Unlike in Mk2 he has relatively little infantry clearing.
Tricks & Tips
- If you lose Gaspy to assassination you've messed up. Not going and not seeing is the best way to not get conquered; second best is teleporting clear.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Apotheosis (2005)
- Sculptor: Chaz Elliot
- Nicknames: "eGaspy" or "Gaspy2" ("Gaspy" as a pun on the word "Asphyxiate", and e for epic or 2 for 2nd incarnation)
- Daeamortus, Asphyxious's weapon, was both his predecessor and his ex-boss. Asphxyious killed Daemortus, took his job, then turned him into a weapon just to rub salt in the wound!
Themes for any-and-all casters (Edit)
- Black Industries (Article) (Category)
- Dark Host (Article) (Category)
- The Ghost Fleet (Article) (Category)
- Infernal Machines (Article) (Category)
- Scourge of the Broken Coast (Article) (Category)
- Slaughter Fleet Raiders (Article) (Category)
Other faction models
|Warcasters|| Captain Bartolo - Captain Damiano - Cognifex - Drake MacBain - Exulon - Fiona - Magnus1 - Magnus2|
Requires a 2+ caster game.
|Other Controllers||Raluk Moorclaw (Marshal) - Rorsh & Brine (Lesser Warlock) - Wrongeye & Snapjaw (Lesser Warlock)|
|Warjacks, Warbeasts, & Monstrosities||The mercenary battlegroup members you can include in a Cryx army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what it can take.|
|Mercenary Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Press Gangers - Sea Dog Deck Gun - Sea Dog Pirates & CA & WA - Steelhead Halberdiers - Steelhead Heavy Cavalry - Steelhead Riflemen|
|Solos|| Ogrun Bokur - Swamp Gobber Raiders
Rules Clarification : Feat: Spectral Legion
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)