Khador Theme Force
The brotherhood of the Iron Fangs maintains traditions arising from ancient warriors who battled the beasts of the north armed only with spears and the indomitable courage all true Khadorans possess. Iron Fang assault forces are tasked with breaking enemy lines regardless of whether those lines are composed of towering warjacks or masses of infantry. Surrounding a hard center of warjacks, an Iron Fang legion marches in lockstep behind a wall of shields, supported by swift and brutal cavalry to protect their flanks.
Theme Force Restrictions
A Legion of Steel army can only include models from the following list:
Theme Force Bonuses
- For every full 20 points of Iron Fang models/units in this army, you can add one Iron Fang command attachment or small-based solo to the army free of cost.
- These free models don't count towards that total when calculating when the benefit is applied.
- The Great Bears of the Gallowswood and Iron Fang solos in the army gain [Countercharge. (Countercharge - When an enemy model advances and ends its movement within 6" of this model and in its LOS, this model can immediately charge it. This model can use Countercharge only once per round and not while engaged.)
- One small-based Iron Fang unit in the army gains Advance Move. (Advance Move - Before the start of the game but after both players have deployed, a model with Advance Move can make a full advance.)
Thoughts on this Theme Force
Theme - Legion of Steel in a nutshell
Ulhans and Pikeman and Kovnic's, OH MY!
Combos & Synergies
The Iron Fang contingent within Khador has extremely potent internal synergy with each other that is caster independent making this theme force somewhat viable regardless of which caster is chosen to lead it.
- Kovnic Markov grants tactician to friendly Iron Fang Models within his 10" command bubble allowing all Iron Fangs to draw line of sight and move through each others basses.
- The Iron Fang Kovnic grants Precise Strike to Iron Fangs in his command 10 as well as making them immune to knock down.
Both of these in addition to counter charge on the Great Bears; Iron Fang Kovnic's; and Markov himself allows for you to screen you important "Kommanders" with Pikeman of either flavor, then counter charge through them into juicy targets that present themselves if you can be relatively sure they can survive. Precise Strike even allows you to potentially carve out key systems to unwary Jacks or beasts who wander into counter charge range potentially crippling them before they can perform actions.
Drawbacks & Downsides
Absolutely no ranged support, other than the Jacks that you bring. Bring Destroyers of else you opponent will be able to act with impunity outside of your melee range.
Tricks & Tips
- If you can get two or more Great Bears to counter charge the same enemy model they benefit from Flank making them MAT 10 and 4 dice on damage.
- Kovnic Markov's Concussion Lance will trigger Warhead on a counter charge making it even more dangerous to infantry who try to group up on hard targets. Make sure to counter charge the last viable target to catch the most models in the AOE 4.
One max unit of Ulhans is exatly enough to get you a free solo; a max unit of IFP plus UA is 1p shy of a free solo; and a max unit of Black Dragon IFP plus their UA is 1p more.
Caster of note include:
- Irusk2: One of the best infantry casters in the game, who can help improve the Iron Fangs survivability.
- Strakhov2: Our newest and arguably best pure infantry caster; he makes the Iron Fangs absurdly survivable.
- Lord Kozlov, Viscount of Scarsgrad: Improves the speed and ARM and hitting power of the entire army.
- Zerkova1: This theme is, besides eventual battlegroup warjacks, purely melee oriented. 12" of clouds will help the Iron Fangs to actually get there safely.
Other casters will get varying millage out of the theme depending on their play-style, but due to the innate synergies withing the Iron Fangs themselves they demand little in the way of support in order to do what they are intended to do.
Originally released 2017.03
Rules Clarification : Theme Forces (Edit)
- Bonus - One [X] gains [Y]
- If you need to choose which models get your theme bonus, then you do this choice after deployment. (Infernal Ruling)
- An example is how Winter Guard Kommand gives Advance Move to one-warjack-of-your-choice-per-WG-unit.
- In comparison, Destruction Initiative gives all Servitors the Shield Guard ability so you don't need to "make" a choice.
- You should still write on your army list how many of these bonuses you get to hand out, though, so your opponent can clearly see. (Infernal Ruling)
- ie at the bottom of your list, you'd write "3 warjacks gain Advance Move" but you don't need to state which three are going to get the bonus.
- Theme Forces, free models, and Specialists in Steamroller
- When you make substitutions to your list, you need to double-check that you haven't removed something that allows you to take free models.
- If you have, then you either need to remove those free models, or pay full points cost for them.
- Unit Attachments & free points
- If a unit counts towards your free points, then all attachments count too; regardless of whether the attachment is the same model type. For instance:
- Specific Themes
- Refer to each theme to see if there is anything totally specific to that theme.
Rules Clarification : Advance Move - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification: : Countercharge (Edit)
Warning: This is a long one.
| Triggering Countercharge
- Countercharge does not trigger off an enemy model being placed or pushed.
- Changing facing does count as advancing and will trigger Countercharge.
- You can trigger Countercharge during your own turn, if your opponent has an ability to move during your turn (such as Admonition).
- Even when an entire unit is moving, counter-charge is triggered per model. So you can counter charge after any models of the unit had finished his move within range, but you can only counter charge the model who finished its movement. You can't "save it" until the unit finishes moving and then say "I'm going to Countercharge the first guy you moved."
What can your opponent do?
- Once you trigger countercharge, your opponent cannot use a "Any Time" ability until the countercharge is fully resolved. Even though it's their turn.
- They can trigger their own abilities from your movement (such as Admonition) and/or your attack (such as Shock Field).
Attacks & Boosting
- You only get one attack when making a countercharge, regardless of how many initials you normally have.
- You can't spend fury/focus to boost it, or buy additional attacks afterwards. Because you're only allowed to do spend fury/focus during your own activation.
- The charge attack damage is only boosted if the Countercharger moved 3" or more, as with a regular charge.
After the Countercharge
- You cannot use any abilities that trigger on "during activation" or "during combat action" (such as Sprint) after a Countercharge, as Counter Charge is not an activation. Closed thread
Enemy "Skipping" their movement
- If your opponent 'forgets' to move their model and didn't declare they're forfeiting movement (they just said "I'm activating this model and making an attack") then do they count as moving or not?
- Technically the rules don't have a default condition for this, and it becomes a Sportsmanship issue for you to sort out with your opponent.
- However, the Judges document (which is used to run all official PP events) states that the model officially counts as "Advancing 0 inches" and thus will trigger Counter Charge. Most players follow the Judges document for casual play as well.
Unit with countercharge
- This applies to Zaadesh2 with Scarab Packs
- Each model in the unit has its own individual countercharge. They don't have to all countercharge at the same time, and only the specific model within 6" of the trigger will be able to countercharge.
- If a model is out of formation, it won't be able to countercharge (since it is unable to move out of his normal movement).
- If a model starts in formation but the countercharge movement takes it out of formation, it won't be able to make the charge attack (but will engage).
- If several models in the same unit want to countercharge the same model, you fully resolve the counter charge of the first, including the attack, before starting the counter charge of the other(s).
- If the unit commander countercharges such that the other models become out of formation, they immediately lose the ability to trigger countercharge (because out-of-formation models can't move).
- Countercharge vs. Admonition (etc) ( Edit )
- You can trigger Countercharge during your own activation - if a model with Admonition (or similar) uses it to (try to) move away.
- You move, they trigger admonition and move, you trigger countercharge off their admonition-move.
- In this scenario you may boost Countercharge attacks and trigger only-during-activation effects (such as Critical Shred & Sustained Attack) exactly as if you were in your activation (because you are).
- Also, you can potentially get two charge attacks (one for your normal charge, one for the counter charge).
- Countercharge plus Admonition
- If a model has both CC and Admonition, it can trigger both at the same time. A model moves nearby, it admonitions away, then countercharges back in.
- Countercharge vs Slipstream ( Edit )
- Both these abilities trigger at the same time (end of movement). The active player then resolved his first.
- This can let the Slipstream model place something to block the Countercharge model.
- Assault vs Countercharge ( Edit )
- With reference to the Activation Timing (Apdx A), Countercharge occurs at Step 5, and Assault occurs at Step 5 for independent models and Step 6 for units. (Infernal Ruling about the Step 6)
- So, if a model with Assault finishes its charge movement within range of a model with Countercharge then...
- If it's an independent model then you need to resolve the Assault shot before making the Countercharge move. This is because both abilities occur at the same time but active player effects are resolved first.
- But if it's a model belonging to a unit, then you need to resolve the Countercharge immediately, then finish moving the rest of the unit, then start Assault shots.
- Countercharge & Cavalry ( Edit )
- A model with Countercharge and Cavalry can make Impact Attacks during the countercharge. (Refer "Charges Outside of Activation" in the rulebook).
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category: Legion of Steel