The Lancer is a vital warjack for almost all Cygnar warcasters. Not because it is any great combatant itself, but because it has an arc node. Against many opponents the ability to fire spells through the Lancer's arc node is the difference between victory and defeat.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Shock Shield - 0.5" reach, P+S 11 melee weapon
- Shield - This 'weapon' is a shield that provides a cumulative +2 ARM bonus. The bonus doesn't apply if the weapon is crippled or if the damage originates in your back arc.
- Cortex Damage - When a warjack is hit by this weapon, it suffers 1 damage point to its first available Cortex system box.
- Shock Field - If a warjack hits this model, after the attack that warjack suffers a point of damage to its cortex.
- War Spear - 2" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Arc Node - This model can channel spells cast by its controlling Warcaster.
- Set Defense - Charge attacks, slam attacks, and impact attacks versus this model suffer a -2 to hit penalty.
Thoughts on Lancer
Lancer in a nutshell
The Lancer is an almost no frills shield-carrying arc node, letting spellcasters channel spells. A shield and Set Defense make it really tough for a light warjack and if it can't kill enemy warjacks in melee it can at least destroy their cortexes.
Combos & Synergies
Any warcaster who likes arcing spells.
- Nemo1 - chain lightning
- Haley2 for making a complete mess of the enemy.
- Stryker1 Earthquake for his pop and drops.
- Stryker2 for both Rebuke and Positive Charge
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Both Thorn and the Hurricane do much more as arc nodes (and they are both substantially more expensive)
- Thorn in particular is considered very good value as an upgrade (the Hurricane is a completely different jack)
Tricks & Tips
Run the arc node into the enemy's back arc for backstrike bonuses. The shock shield can be used to destroy a jacks cortex. Just because a lancer cant destroy a heavy doesn't mean it can't remove that heavy from the game. 3 hits from the shield and any jack is a paperweight for the rest of the game.
Comparison to Mk2
No substantial change other than slightly cheaper.
One of the original battlebox warjacks.
Cygnar non-character warjack themes (Edit)
Other faction models