Mercenary Privateer Character Unit
Consummate professionals, the Iosan spell-caster Lady Aiyana and her gunslinging bodyguard Master Holt add an air of mystery to the Talion. All that is known about them is that she deftly manipulates powerful magic unknown beyond her native land and that he wields his pistols with skill and cool dispassion that unnerves even hardened soldiers.
| Magic Ability
Weapons and Attacks
- Hand Cannon (x2) - 12" range, POW 12 guns
- Gun Blades (x2) - 0,5" range, P+S 8 melee weapons.
- Unarmed - This model has no melee weapons, which means a host of options are not available to it.
- Mercenary - Works for Cygnar, Khador, the Protectorate, and the Retribution.
- Dual Attack - This model can make both melee and ranged attacks in the same activation. When this model makes its initial melee attacks or a power attack, it can also make its initial ranged attacks. This model can make ranged attacks even while in melee.
- Quick Draw - Once per round during your opponent's turn, if a ranged attack hits this model, you can make a ranged attack against the attacker. If it hits it causes no damage, but the enemy attack automatically misses. Holt's Quick Draw is unique, in that it will trigger if an enemy hits him or Aiyana.
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Magic Ability [ _ ] - This model can use its Combat Action to cast spells. Offensive spells are a (★ Attack) and friendly spells are a (★ Action).
- Ayisla's Veil (★ Action) - Grants Stealth to Aiyana. While Holt is B2B with her, he gets it too.
- Kiss of Lyliss (★ Attack) - Average range spell that does no damage. Instead, friendly faction models that attack the "kissed" model/unit gain a damage buff.
- Sigil of Power (★ Action) - Target model/unit in CMD range gains Magical Damage on all its weapons for one turn.
Thoughts on Lady Aiyana & Master Holt
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt in a nutshell
Master Holt is for all practical purposes a fairly simple and highly accurate shooty solo. He does his job and does it well. Lady Aiyana is more of a toolbox, handing out magical attacks - but her fundamental ability and the reason people take this unit is the damage buff from Kiss of Lyliss. And a damage buff on an enemy heavy for all your mercenaries is the way to take this unit.
Combos & Synergies
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Aiyana only does anything really for mercenaries.
Tricks & Tips
Don't bother putting them base to base for stealth if anemy has any AoE.
Notable changes from Mk2
- Kiss of Lyliss in now friendly Faction. This means that only mercenaries use them unless you want to spend even MORE points on a ranking officer attachment. At that point you need to wonder if it's worth it.
- Lost a point of DEF
- Lost a point of Magic Ability
- Virtuoso replaced with Dual Attack
How can I include this model in my army?
Mercenaries are a bit more complicated than regular faction models, they can be taken in one of three different ways.
- This model can be included in a pure Mercenary army.
- This model can be included in the following Faction armies:
- This model can be included in the following theme forces:
Other Faction models
Rules Clarification : Dual Attack (Edit)
- There is no penalty for shooting an enemy you are in melee with, however if you miss it must still be re-rolled vs a new random target.
- If the new random target is a friendly it will get the DEF bonus, since you can't be in melee with friendlies.
- You can target a model they are not in melee with with a ranged attack. (Infernal Ruling)
- Dual Attack & Drag ( Edit )
- This is pretty-much limited to just the Prime Axiom under Syntherion
- If you charge model A then utilise Dual Attack to make a ranged attack vs the same model, then you would get the free melee attack from Drag. The Drag attack is a charge attack. (Infernal Ruling)
- If you charge model A then utilise Dual Attack to make a ranged attack vs a different model, then you would lose the free melee attack from Drag. Your first melee attack must be versus the charge target, and you cannot save the Drag attack for later. (Infernal Ruling)
- If you didn't charge then ... just go nuts. There's no restrictions that I know of.
Rules Clarification : Quick Draw (Edit)
- Since the Quick Draw is a ranged attack, you must obey all the normal rules for making a ranged attack: having LOS, not being stuck in melee with someone else, etc.
- If the attacker is attacking multiple models (eg they're firing a spray) then the Quick Draw will only cause a miss against the Quick Drawer. It doesn't make the entire spray disappear.
- Quick Draw occurs at step 2, before stuff like Sacrificial Pawn and Sucker!
- If an enemy model [A] with Sac Pawn (or similar) targets you, and then you use Quick Draw to shoot model [A], but they use Sac Pawn to move your Quick Draw attack to pawn [B] then ... Quick Draw has no further effect. You've hit Model [B] with the Quick Draw and Model [A] can continue shooting you.
Rules Clarification : Officer (Edit)
- Even if they're not on the Officer's card, an Officer can give (and benefit from) any non-standard orders that are on the unit's card (such as Shield Wall). Refer main rulebook.
- When the Officer dies, the Leader model becomes the new Unit Commander (you don't get to choose).
- But if your unit doesn't include a Leader model, then you do get to choose any of the remaining models to be the new Unit Commander. You don't swap the model, but it may be worth putting a token down so you can tell that grunt apart.
Rules Clarification : Magic Ability (Edit)
- Almost every magic ability cannot be used on the same turn you charge. Because a charge must (almost always) be followed by a melee attack.
- Using a Magic Ability counts as a spell, for effects such as Spell Ward, Witch Hunter, etc.
- Unlike with warcasters/warlocks, using a Magic Ability is not an "any time" ability. This means:
- You must complete your movement before you use a MA.
- You cannot make ranged or melee attacks on the same turn you use a MA.
- You cannot use a MA on the same turn you charge.
- (Unless, of course, the rules for the specific MA you're using say you can.)
Rules Clarification : Sigil of Power (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Magical Damage (Edit)
- The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon such as arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
- All spells have "Damage Type: Magical" (refer latest errata).
- If a weapon/spell includes Magic Damage and another kind of elemental damage it can still damage Incorporeal models. They're not affected by the rule "if an attack does multiple types of damage and a model is immune to at least one it is immune to the entire attack.
The phrase "immune to non-magical damage" should be intrepreted as "immune to damage that doesn't include Damage Type: Magical" (not as "has immunity to Corrosion and Electricity and Cold and etc.")