Mercenary Privateer Character Unit
Consummate professionals, the Iosan spell-caster Lady Aiyana and her gunslinging bodyguard Master Holt add an air of mystery to the Talion. All that is known about them is that she deftly manipulates powerful magic unknown beyond her native land and that he wields his pistols with skill and cool dispassion that unnerves even hardened soldiers.
|| 5 (Holt)
|| 8 (Holt)
| Magic Ability
|| 7 (Aiyana)
|See also How to Read the statblock
- Hand Cannon (x2) - 12" range, POW 12 guns
- Gun Blades (x2) - 0.5" reach, P+S 8 melee weapons.
- Unarmed - This model has no weapons.
- Dual Attack - This model can make both melee and ranged attacks in the same activation. When this model makes its initial melee attacks or a power attack, it can also make its initial ranged attacks. This model can make ranged attacks even while in melee.
- Quick Draw - Once per round during your opponent's turn, if a ranged attack hits this model, you can make a ranged attack against the attacker. If it hits it causes no damage, but the enemy attack automatically misses. Holt's Quick Draw is unique, in that it will trigger if an enemy hits him or Aiyana.
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Magic Ability [ 7 ] - This model can use its Combat Action to cast spells. Offensive spells are a (★ Attack) and friendly spells are a (★ Action).
- Ayisla's Veil (★ Action) - Grants Stealth to Aiyana. While Holt is B2B with her, he gets it too.
- Kiss of Lyliss (★ Attack) - 10" range spell that does no damage. Instead, friendly faction models that attack the "kissed" model/unit gain +2 to their damage rolls.
- Sigil of Power (★ Action) - RNG CMD. Target friendly model/unit. If the model/unit is in range, its weapons gain Damage Type:Magical Damage. Sigil of Power lasts for one turn.
Thoughts on Lady Aiyana & Master Holt
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt in a nutshell
Aiyana and Holt are brought for magic weapon on a stick and an ARM debuff (faction models only). Aiyana tends to die the turn after she uses Kiss of Lyliss so it's often a one-off ability, however Sigil of Power is often invaluable when faced with incorporeal models or Protectorate warjacks. Holt is essentially a solo with two accurate hand cannons and weak melee ability. He is hampered somewhat by Aiyana's low CMD, but he generally pulls his weight. They are a staple of almost any Mercenary Irregulars or Talion Charter list.
Combos & Synergies
Drawbacks & Downsides
- 8 points is not cheap for 2 squishy models.
- Kiss does not affect non-faction models, which requires a ranking officer attachment with them.
- Due to a hilarious set of circumstances. Retribution currently have no way of using Kiss from Aiyana, despite her being from Ios. They have no ranking officers and Cylena and her Nyss become faction friendly in Retribution armies.
Tricks & Tips
Don't bother putting them base to base for stealth if the enemy has blasts that can reach them.
Released in Forces of Warmachine: Pirates of the Broken Coast (2007)
Other Mercenary models
Rules Clarification : Dual Attack (Edit)
- Dual Attack only grants either:
- Initial melee attacks and initial ranged attacks.
- Power attack and initial ranged attacks.
Any other combination of (★ Attack) and initials is disallowed. See this thread for full explanation and links to relevant Infernal Rulings.
- A model with Dual Attack can make the attacks in any order.
If they charge, they can do either melee or ranged first. If you charge and do ranged first, it doesn't change the fact that your first melee attack is the charge attack. (Infernal Ruling)
- There is no penalty for shooting an enemy you are in melee with, however if you miss it must still be re-rolled vs a new random target.
- If the new random target is a friendly it will get the DEF bonus, since you can't be in melee with friendlies.
- You can target a model they are not in melee with with a ranged attack. (Infernal Ruling)
- Dual Attack & Drag ( Edit )
- This is pretty-much limited to just the Prime Axiom under Syntherion
- If you charge model A then utilise Dual Attack to make a ranged attack vs the same model, then you would get the free melee attack from Drag. The Drag attack is a charge attack. (Infernal Ruling)
- If you charge model A then utilise Dual Attack to make a ranged attack vs a different model, then you would lose the free melee attack from Drag. Your first melee attack must be versus the charge target, and you cannot save the Drag attack for later. (Infernal Ruling)
- If you didn't charge then ... just go nuts. There's no restrictions that I know of.
Rules Clarification : Quick Draw (Edit)
- Since the Quick Draw is a ranged attack, you must obey all the normal rules for making a ranged attack: having LOS, not being stuck in melee with someone else, etc.
- If the attacker is attacking multiple models (eg they're firing a spray) then the Quick Draw will only cause a miss against the Quick Drawer. It doesn't make the entire spray disappear.
- Quick Draw occurs at step 2, before stuff like Sacrificial Pawn and Sucker!
- If an enemy model [A] with Sac Pawn (or similar) targets you, and then you use Quick Draw to shoot model [A], but they use Sac Pawn to move your Quick Draw attack to pawn [B] then ... Quick Draw has no further effect. You've hit Model [B] with the Quick Draw and Model [A] can continue shooting you.
Rules Clarification : Officer (Edit)
- Even if they're not on the Officer's card, an Officer can give (and benefit from) any non-standard orders that are on the unit's card (such as Shield Wall). Refer main rulebook.
- When the Officer dies, the Leader model becomes the new Unit Commander (you don't get to choose).
- But if your unit doesn't include a Leader model, then you do get to choose any of the remaining models to be the new Unit Commander. You don't swap the model, but it may be worth putting a token down so you can tell that grunt apart.
Rules Clarification : Magic Ability (Edit)
- Almost every magic ability cannot be used on the same turn you charge. Because a charge must (almost always) be followed by a melee attack.
- Using a Magic Ability counts as a spell, for effects such as Spell Ward, Witch Hunter, etc.
- Unlike with warcasters/warlocks, using a Magic Ability is not an "any time" ability. This means:
- You must complete your movement before you use a MA.
- You cannot make ranged or melee attacks on the same turn you use a MA.
- You cannot use a MA on the same turn you charge.
- (Unless, of course, the rules for the specific MA you're using say you can.)
- A model in a unit cannot use its Combat Action to cast a spell until all members of the unit have completed their movement. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Kiss of Lyliss (Edit)
- Aiyana + Ranking Officer:
Kiss of Lyliss affects models that are currently the same Faction as Lady Aiyana & Master Holt, not what Faction they were (or weren't) at the time of casting. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Sigil of Power (Edit)
Rules Clarification: : Magical Damage (Edit)
(Click Expand to read)
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
- All spells have "Damage Type: Magical" (refer errata).
- This is inherited by "immediate" secondary damage (such as Eruption of Spines). (Infernal Ruling)
- and might be inherited by "lingering" secondary damage (see below).
- If a spell leaves a template in play that does damage to models that walk around in it, then:
- if it is not described as a hazard it will do magical damage to models that walk around in it. (Example: Razor Wall)
- if it is a hazard then it will not do magical damage to models that walk around in it. Instead, it does whatever damage type is specified by the spell description. (Example: Breath of Corruption).
- (Infernal Ruling)
- If a weapon/spell includes Magic Damage and another kind of elemental damage it will still damage Incorporeal models. Incorporeal models are not affected by the rule "if an attack does multiple types of damage and a model is immune to at least one it is immune to the entire attack."
The phrase "immune to non-magical damage" should be interpreted as "immune to damage that doesn't include Damage Type: Magical" (not interpreted as "has immunity to Corrosion and Electricity and Cold and etc.")