Kommander Zoktavir, The Butcher Unleashed
Orsus Zoktavir is a living legend, having earned a place in the company of other almost-mythical heroes from the frozen north. A brutal warrior capable of unbridled savagery, he is feared by his soldiers as much as by his foes. His only companions are his two war argus—two-headed hounds that are a living embodiment of the untamable darkness inside the Butcher.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Kommander Zoktavir, The Butcher Unleashed
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Blunderbusss - 8" range, POW 12 gun
- Lola - 2" reach, P+S 16 melee weapon
- Warcaster Unit - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome. Furthermore, this warcaster comes with some troopers that can be ordered around. Butcher3's unit includes two War Argus.
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Granted: Vengeance - While this model is still alive and in formation all of the unit gains Vengeance. (Vengeance - During your Maintenance Phase, if one or more models in a unit with Vengeance were damaged by enemy attacks during the last round, each model in the unit can advance 3" and make one basic melee attack.)
Feat - Red Haze
This feat has two effects:
- Butcher immediately gains h focus points. He cannot have more focus points that his current FOCUS as a result of Red Haze.
- Living enemy models cannot charge Butcher.
Red Haze lasts for one round.
- Energizer - COST 2, RNG SELF
Each model in the spellcaster's battlegroup that is currently in its control range can immediately advance up to 2". Energizer can be cast only once per activation.
- Flashing Blade - Cost 1, range SELF spell. The spellcaster immediately makes one basic attack with one of its melee weapons against each enemy model in its LOS that is in the weapon's melee range. These attacks are simultaneous.
- Impending Doom - Nearby enemy models are pushed towards this model in the order of your choosing.
- Obliteration - COST 4, Range 10, POW15, AOE5 offensive spell.
- Silence of Death - Upkeep that grants a faction model/unit a STR bonus and Take Down. (Take Down - Models killed in melee by this model cannot use Tough and are RFP'd.)
Weapons and Attacks
- Bite (x2) - "0.5" reach, P+S 11 melee weapons
- Combo Strike (★ Attack) - Make a melee attack. Instead of making a normal damage roll, the POW of the damage roll is equal to this model's STR plus twice the POW of this weapon.
- Gang - When making a melee attack targeting an enemy model in the melee range of another model in this unit, this model gains +2 to melee attack and melee damage rolls.
- Granted: Relentless Charge - While this model is still alive and in formation all of the unit gains Relentless Charge. (Relentless Charge - This model gains Pathfinder while it is charging.)
- Sprint - If this model kills something in melee during its turn it gets a free move at the end of its turn.
Thoughts on Kommander Zoktavir, The Butcher Unleashed
Comparison to Mk2
Butcher lost a couple inches of his threat range, due to a slight nerf to Energizer as well as the rule change in regards to charging friendly units (butcher would charge his own units to gain threat range, which is no longer allowed). The changes to Silence of Death have also made him less effective against targets with transfers, as it now buffs STR instead of stopping transfers. Butcher also lost some of his resiliency, as he can no longer camp more armor than most Colossals. That being said, Butcher was an almost unbeatable caster in Mk2, and is still very good after all the changes. It can be noted he has a high amount of Warjack points with the new rules, and still does just as much damage as before. Assassinations are just a little more difficult and dangerous to pull off with him as of Mk3.
That being said, the changes to his feat allow him to fulfill a different role. Now that he can't be targeted by living models you can take out a large section of their army and sit him there with focus to spare, against hordes he's completely safe, whist against warmachine he's just mostly safe based on what you target. His assassination got worse, but his army clear got much better. (Note that Living can still advance and attack him)
Kommander Zoktavir, The Butcher Unleashed in a nutshell
The Butcher wants to kill his enemies in one of two ways: to smash a hole through their lines early in the game and assassinate their warcaster before the battle can really begin, or to wage a war of attrition, leaving the enemy army too weak to protect its warcaster from his superior stats and incredibly deadly axe, Lola.
Thoughts on when & how to best use his feat and spells
The Butcher's feat is very useful before, or after, an assassination attempt. Butcher can use Energizer and Impending Doom to get into combat with an enemy Warcaster or Warlock and then feat to have many uses of Flashing Blade for an assassination. He can also use his feat to recover from a failed assassination attempt, as no living models can charge him on his feat turn, and he will have full focus to negate incoming damage.
Typical Army & Strategy
Note to Editors
His main win condition is Placeholder.
For example: "using her feat turn to get a melee/ranged/spell assassination" "attrition then win on scenario" "board control then win on scenario" "sending a jack in, to beat the enemy warcaster's face into pulp" "etc"
Butcher still benefits from Ragman, which can bring his P&S up. With the new power up rules, he can do well with several jacks. Bring along a War Dog to make him harder to hit in melee, or Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator for utility. Ruin gains a special benefit if taken with the Butcher, as it is his character jack. The main purpose of the Butcher's army is to distract the enemy from himself. Most things big, scary, or just plain annoying are acceptable, whether it be jacks, MenOWar, or a Winter Guard Death Star or Iron Fang Pikemen. Kovnik Andrei Malakov is also a consideration, as he can run a large jack like Behemoth or even one of Khador's colossals, Victor and Conquest.
Drawbacks, Downsides & Bad Match-Ups
He is easy to hit. His defense is low for a Warcaster and he must be aware of things that can knock him down.
Tricks & Tips
Utilizing the Argii as an offensive tool can be helpful, and, due to their speed being slightly faster then the Butcher himself, they make an excellent screening unit or a great jam for stopping someone from landing a model's base somewhere you don't want it. Placing them base to base in front of him can block some lines of sight, and can even be bolstered further with a blizzard from the Greylord Ternions, which places them in a cloud for concealment, and, so long as Butcher is sitting slightly behind them, leaves him sitting safely from (most) shooting.
- This model was introduced in Warmachine: Vengeance (2014)
Other faction models
|Khador - Theme Forces (Edit)|
|Winter Guard Kommand|
Rules Clarification : Warcaster Unit or Warlock Unit (Edit)
Note to Editors