"She is a perfect example of what a woman should be: pale as the ice that blankets us, beautiful but distant as the starry sky, yet deadly as a winterstorm." Lieutenant Yurik Belavdon of the 12th Iron Fang Uhlan Kompany
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Kommander Sorscha
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Hand Cannon - 12" range, POW 12 gun
- Frostfang - 2" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon.
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- Immunity: Cold - This model does not suffer cold damage.
Feat : Icy Gaze
Enemy models without Immunity: Cold currently in Sorcha's control area and LOS become stationary for one round.
- Boundless Charge - COST 2, RNG 6
Target friendly Faction model can charge for free and gains +2" movement and Pathfinder when it charges for one turn.
- Fog of War - COST 3, UPKEEP
- All models in the caster's control range gain concealment.
- Freezing Grip - Average range spell that makes the target model/unit stationary unless it has Cold Immunity.
- Razor Wind - Cost 2, 10" range, POW 12.
- This spell has no special effects.
- Tempest - High cost spell with average range, POW, and AOE. Models hit are knocked down and take an average POW damage roll.
- Wind Rush - Sorscha immediately gets a full advance and gains +2 DEF.
Thoughts on Kommander Sorscha
Comparison to Mk2
Frostfang gained Shatter, giving Sorscha a nice boost of damage against stationary targets, which she excels at creating, either through her feat or with Freezing Grip. Speaking of freezing things, Freezing Grip costs 1 less to cast, which gives Sorscha the potential to freeze 2 targets in a round instead of just 1.
Kommander Sorscha in a nutshell
Sorscha is a control/assassin caster. She is highly mobile and hard to hit. With Freezing grip, and Tempest she is able to control enemy models/units allowing for the rest of your army to dispatch them.
Sorscha's crazy assassination threat also dictates where your opponent moves, and what they move. Her ability to threaten a caster from a non-linear 19" is quite scary. Even veteran players can make mistakes allowing for an assassination opportunity.
Thoughts on when & how to use her feat and spells
- Boundless Charge is great for moving a Warjack or Solo into charge range, or if needed, Sorscha herself.
- Fog of War is good in the early game, but it will interfere with her own shooting and spellcasting, as all her targets would be within the effect of fog of war.
- Freezing Grip is one of Sorscha's signature spells. Move forward, cast this on the most dangerous target, and use Wind Rush to fall back to safety. Alternatively, you can now freeze 2 units if you've already spent your feat, or if you want to save it for something else.
- Razor Wind is essentially a magic version of Sorscha's hand cannon. You're unlikely to use it, but it's there if you do.
- Tempest is more expensive than Freezing grip, but affects units with cold immunity, shoring up one of Sorscha's potential weaknesses. She can still Wind Rush after as well.
- Wind Rush is Sorscha's other signature spell, with a whole host of uses. It'll get her out of trouble, help out with an assassination run, and generally helps anytime you want her to be a bit more mobile or have a bit more defense. You're probably going to be casting this every single turn.
Typical Army & Strategy
Sorcha needs to have an army that can operate without the need for buffs and that can control various parts of the table. Winter Guard are very useful for fulfilling these roles.
It's also important that her army does can clear a path to the enemy warcaster/warlock without being in the way. Greylord outriders fit the resume.
Having a wardog attachment can ensure she is practically impossible to hit in melee with wind rush, and also grants her the ability to walk out of combat. Watch out to keep the dog close enough; the maximum threat range of her assassination run (not counting her weapon's RNG) is the same as the radius of the dog's ability after running.
Drawbacks, Downsides, & Bad Match-Ups
- Sorscha has only one "buff" for her army. Boundless Charge.
- She's nimble, but very fragile; boosted blast rolls and knockdown effects can be deadly for her.
- Remember that enemies in Sorcha's CTRL range also receive concealment from Fog of War.
- Even with Power up, she has few focus to spare for her warjacks.
- Freezing Grip and her Feat are useless against enemies that are immune to cold.
Tricks & Tips
- Her assassination run is tempting, but choose your engagement wisely. If you need to use both Wind Rush and Boundless charge, you'll have only 2 focus left to help with damage, giving you little room for error. Your target should be stationary before you hit them, so you don't have to waste focus trying to hit, as well as crit. Also be aware of how much armor the target has, and if they have any camped focus to prevent damage, which could screw you up if you roll poorly. If you happen to be up against one of the few warcasters that are immune to cold, then you probably just want to avoid making an assassination run to begin with.
- Alternatively, let her set up a warjack to do the assassination. Assigning 2 focus and Boundless charge to almost any Khador Warjack will enable it to do far more damage to target than spending the same amount of focus to get Sorscha there, especially if Sorscha also pops her feat. This also makes it less likely that in the event of a failed assassination that Sorscha will get killed.
- Be on the lookout for enemy feats and spells, which prevent / punish spell casting, or make them harder (like Lamentation) - in such cases, you better forget about your assassination run.
- If the opportunity arises, cast Boundless charge upon your warjacks. Now, an average Khador warjack can charge further than its run distance. Do not forget the Pathfinder bonus.
- Shatter is a nice addition to her otherwise average P+S weapon, if it can be triggered. Apart of her feat and Freezing Grip which are the most reliable methods for triggering it, there are numerous Greylord and Man-o-War units and solos, not to mention Beast-09, who can potentially freeze a unit in place for her to shatter with some good criticals.
- Consider bringing Sylys Wyshnalyrr. Having a longer range on Freezing Grip or Tempest helps her with board control, and Arcane Secrets makes her better at getting those spells off successfully.
- Fog of War synergizes well with models that have the Prowl ability, allowing models like Alten Ashley or Kell Bailoch to instantly gain stealth for as long as you keep them in your control range.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Prime (2003)
Themes for generic casters (Edit)
- Winter Guard Kommand - (Article) (Category)
- Jaws of the Wolf - (Article) (Category)
- Legion of Steel - (Article) (Category)
Other faction models
Rules Clarification : Feat : Icy Gaze