|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
"She is a perfect example of what a woman should be: pale as the ice that blankets us, beautiful but distant as the starry sky, yet deadly as a winterstorm." Lieutenant Yurik Belavdon of the 12th Iron Fang Uhlan Kompany
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Sorscha1
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Hand Cannon - 12" range, POW 12 gun
- Frostfang - 2" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon.
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Immunity: Cold - This model does not suffer cold damage.
Feat : Icy Gaze
Enemy models without Immunity: Cold currently in Sorcha's CTRL area and LOS become stationary for one round.
- Boundless Charge - Cost 2, 6" range
- Target friendly Faction model can charge for free and gains +2" movement and Pathfinder when it charges for one turn.
- Fog of War - Cost 3, Upkeep
- All models in the caster's control range gain concealment.
- Freezing Grip - Average range spell that makes the target model/unit stationary unless it has Cold Immunity.
- Razor Wind - Cost 2, 10" range, POW 12
- This spell has no special effects.
- Tempest - Cost 4, 8" range, 4" AOE, POW 12
- Models hit are knocked down and suffer a POW 12 damage roll.
- Wind Rush - Sorscha immediately gets a full advance and gains +2 DEF.
Thoughts on Sorscha1
Sorscha1 in a nutshell
Sorscha is a control/assassin caster. She is highly mobile and hard to hit. With Freezing grip, and Tempest she is able to control enemy models/units allowing for the rest of your army to dispatch them.
Sorscha's crazy assassination threat also dictates where your opponent moves, and what they move. Her ability to threaten a caster from a non-linear 19" is quite scary. Even veteran players can make mistakes allowing for an assassination opportunity.
Maximising her feat and spells
- Boundless Charge is great for moving a Warjack or Solo into charge range, or if needed, Sorscha herself.
- Fog of War is good in the early game, but it will interfere with her own shooting and spellcasting, as all her targets would be within the effect of fog of war.
- Freezing Grip is one of Sorscha's signature spells. Move forward, cast this on the most dangerous target, and use Wind Rush to fall back to safety. Alternatively, you can now freeze 2 units if you've already spent your feat, or if you want to save it for something else.
- Razor Wind is essentially a magic version of Sorscha's hand cannon. You're unlikely to use it, but it's there if you do.
- Tempest is more expensive than Freezing grip, but affects units with cold immunity, shoring up one of Sorscha's potential weaknesses. She can still Wind Rush after as well.
- Wind Rush is Sorscha's other signature spell, with a whole host of uses. It'll get her out of trouble, help out with an assassination run, and generally helps anytime you want her to be a bit more mobile or have a bit more defense. You're probably going to be casting this every single turn.
Typical Army & Strategy
Sorcha needs to have an army that can operate without the need for buffs and that can control various parts of the table. Winter Guard are very useful for fulfilling these roles.
It's also important that her army can clear a path to the enemy warcaster/warlock without being in the way. Greylord outriders fit the resume.
Having a wardog attachment can ensure she is practically impossible to hit in melee with wind rush, and also grants her the ability to walk out of combat. Watch out to keep the dog close enough; the maximum threat range of her assassination run (not counting her weapon's RNG) is the same as the radius of the dog's ability after running. You might want to have the dog an inch or two before her just to make sure Sorscha doesn't run too far for it to be effective.
Malakov works great with Sorscha. She has no battlegroup spells so you're not losing anything by having a warjack outside the caster's battlegroup. Additionally, she is usually focus starved so he can help her bring jacks along without paying the focus bill. Last, Redline improves STR and SPD but not MAT, but if Sorscha freezes a model you can focus your Malakov controlled jack on buying additional attacks instead of boosting attack rolls.
Arcing Fire and/or long range models/Units can help Sorscha pull a successful assassination run. If you manage to freeze your opponent's caster, have everything shooty blast it out of the face of Caen. Winter Guard Mortars, Widowmakers, Victor, Destroyers, anything which can hit from long distance is cool. Just make sure you have some anti Stealth technology such as Spriggan, Victor or Reinholdt in case your opponent is Stealthy.
Drawbacks, Downsides, & Bad Match-Ups
- Sorscha has only one "buff" for her army. Boundless Charge.
- She's nimble, but very fragile; boosted blast rolls and knockdown effects can be deadly for her.
- Remember that enemies in Sorcha's CTRL range also receive concealment from Fog of War.
- Even with Power up, she has few focus to spare for her warjacks.
- Freezing Grip and her Feat are useless against enemies that are immune to cold.
Tricks & Tips
- Her assassination run is tempting, but choose your engagement wisely. If you need to use both Wind Rush and Boundless charge, you'll have only 2 focus left to help with damage, giving you little room for error. Your target should be stationary before you hit them, so you don't have to waste focus trying to hit, as well as crit. Also be aware of how much armor the target has, and if they have any camped focus to prevent damage, which could screw you up if you roll poorly. If you happen to be up against one of the few warcasters that are immune to cold, then you probably just want to avoid making an assassination run to begin with.
- Alternatively, let her set up a warjack to do the assassination. Assigning 2 focus and Boundless charge to almost any Khador Warjack will enable it to do far more damage to target than spending the same amount of focus to get Sorscha there, especially if Sorscha also pops her feat. This also makes it less likely that in the event of a failed assassination that Sorscha will get killed. Kovnik Malakov can assist here as Redline + Boundless Charge = 4 extra inches on your unsuspecting opponent.
- Be on the lookout for enemy feats and spells, which prevent / punish spell casting, or make them harder (like Lamentation) - in such cases, you better forget about your assassination run.
- If the opportunity arises, cast Boundless charge upon your warjacks. Now, an average Khador warjack can charge further than its run distance. Do not forget the Pathfinder bonus.
- Shatter is a nice addition to her otherwise average P+S weapon, if it can be triggered. Apart of her feat and Freezing Grip which are the most reliable methods for triggering it, there are numerous Greylord and Man-o-War units and solos, not to mention Beast-09, who can potentially freeze a unit in place for her to shatter with some good criticals.
- Consider bringing Sylys Wyshnalyrr. Having a longer range on Freezing Grip or Tempest helps her with board control, and Arcane Secrets makes her better at getting those spells off successfully.
- Fog of War synergizes well with models that have the Prowl ability, allowing models like Alten Ashley or Kell Bailoch to instantly gain stealth for as long as you keep them in your control range. Additionally, magic resistant units like Doom Reavers also appreciate the rare Buff.
- With Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios ability Disruptor Bolt and feat you can disable completely disable a warjack for entire opponent turn, because a disrupted warjack cannot shake the stationary in the maintenance phase. stationary
- You can also combine the feat with precision strike and sniper. Cut out a warjacks cortex or a warbeasts spirit and then they can't activate.
- She synergizes well (due her feat) with all kinds of nasty AOE like ones from Hutchuk, Ogrun Bounty Hunter, Gorman Di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist, Victor
- Originally released in Warmachine: Prime (2003)
Themes for any-and-all casters (Edit)
- Winter Guard Kommand - (Article) (Category)
- Jaws of the Wolf - (Article) (Category)
- Legion of Steel - (Article) (Category)
- Armored Korps - (Article) (Category)
- Wolves of Winter (Article) (Category)
Other Khador models
Rules Clarification : Feat : Icy Gaze
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)