Kommander Harkevich, the Iron Wolf
Khador’s Iron Wolf has earned a reputation as a peerless master of heavy armor on the battlefield, a war hero beloved by his men and respected even by the enemies of the Motherland. He is famous for his ability to move large numbers of warjacks at an unprecedented pace to arrive where the enemy least expects him. Where Harkevich and his iron army stride, the enemy finds itself hounded, outmaneuvered, cornered, and eventually obliterated by overwhelming firepower.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Kommander Harkevich, the Iron Wolf
- 3 Other
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Hand Cannon - 12" range, POW 12 gun. The classic Immoran weapon.
- Minister - 1" reach, P+S 14 melee weapon.
- Warcaster - This model comes with a bunch of special rules, most notably being really awesome at everything.
- Field Marshal [Reposition 3"] - Warbeasts/warjacks in this model's battlegroup gain Reposition 3". (Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.)
- Iron Sentinel - While B2B with a friendly Faction warjack, this model gains +2 DEF and ARM and cannot become knocked down.
Feat : Hour of the Wolf
This feat has three effects:
- While in Harkevich's control range, models in his battlegroup gain +3 ARM.
- Models in his battlegroup beginning their activation in his control range can charge or make slam power attacks without spending focus.
- A model in Harkevich's battlegroup that declares a charge or slam against an enemy model while in his control range can make a basic ranged attack before advancing.
Hour of the Wolf lasts for one round.
- Bombshell - COST 3, RNG 10, AOE 3", POW 13
On a critical hit, models hit are thrown d6" directly away from Harkevich. Roll distance once for all models affected. Models thrown do not deviate. Move models farthest from Harkevich first. Instead of suffering blast damage, models hit but not directly hit suffer a POW 10 damage roll. (Blast damage on non-critical hits is done normally.) The POW of collateral damage is 10.
- Broadside - Cost 3, range SELF spell. Models in the spellcaster's battlegroup currently in its control range can immediately make one basic ranged attack. Broadside can only be cast once per activation.
- Jumpstart - The warcaster's warjacks currently in control range stop being stationary, stand up, and face in any direction. But not if they were knocked down this turn.
- Mobility - Battlegroup models gain a SPD buff and Pathfinder.
Thoughts on Kommander Harkevich, the Iron Wolf
Comparison to Mk2
- Harkevich's former escort spell has been traded in for the passive Iron Sentinel and Field Marshal:Reposition abilities. This can be seen as a net improvement since neither ability requires focus and can't be stripped by anti-upkeep spells and abilities
- He has lost the spell Fortune
- Harkevich no longer has Field Marshal : Pathfinder but has a medium costed spell that gives pathfinder and a small speed boost. The new spell is not an upkeep so it must be cast each turn to gain the benefits
- Harkevich is probably one of the casters who best benefits from the increase in Warjack Points. Broadsides works best with multiple ranged jacks and being able to field more jacks helps his playstyle.
- Harkevich's weapons and feat have received very little change and he has kept his signature spell Broadsides. This has allowed him to keep a similar tactical playstyle to his MK II incarnation.
- The swap of escort for mobility on paper looks the same but he must now invest focus each turn into gaining his speed, this will make him feel focus hungry.
Kommander Harkevich, the Iron Wolf in a Nutshell
Harkevich is a close-to-the-line support warcaster that excels in attrition. Ideally he has a cheap screening unit that can keep the enemy off his warjacks long enough for volume of fire to wear the enemy down. His feat lets his deliver a good punch while surviving the inevitable counterattack. He lacks in infantry support and must be careful to commit to melee at the right moment.
Thoughts on when & how to best use his feat and spells
Note to Editors
Typical Army & Strategy
His main win condition is Placeholder. For example: "using her feat turn to get a melee/ranged/spell assassination" "attrition then win on scenario" "board control then win on scenario" "sending a jack in, to beat the enemy warcaster's face into pulp" "etc"
- Adding a War Dog and keeping in Iron Sentinel range can take Harkevich in undreamed of levels of defense in melee. He also becomes immune to knockdown and back strikes in this situation, forcing the opponent to risk a lot on their assassination run.
- Harkevich and one or more Demolisher can be a potent combination. Broadsides can allow each demolisher to fire before it activates, which reduces the armor, but brings it back up when the Demolisher's activation starts. This can allow the warcaster's player to take advantage of the Demolisher's cannon without exposing the jack's armor.
- Demolishers also have Gunfighter, allowing them to take advantage of Broadside even when engaged.
- A Winter Guard Field Gun Crew can easily knock enemy models down, allowing your low RAT warjacks to hit reliably under Broadside.
Drawbacks, Downsides, & Bad Match-Ups
- Harkevich doesn't have any spells to support non-battlegroup models directly. This means his infantry often has to be completely self-sufficient.
- Broadsides generally needs around 3 warjacks to justify the focus cost of the spell and the shots from the spell cannot be boosted - a hard pill to swallow on low RAT Khador Warjacks.
- Harkevich wants to be very close to his warjacks for the full effect of his support spells and Iron Sentinel. This can expose him to danger from assassination models.
Tricks & Tips
- Harkevich is a model in his own battlegroup, so he benefits from Broadsides and Mobility.
- However, he is not a warjack so doesn't benefit from his Field Marshal ability.
- There is a skill in knowing when to cast Broadsides or not. If you cast it, you double your amount of fire and can drift more AOEs, do more damage to low def models, etc. If you don't you can instead allocate the focus to boost the shots the Warjacks make during their activation.
- Bombshell is a great charge lane opener. Cast it into the middle of the enemy line and stick a Decimator or Demolisher in the new hole to disrupt the enemy line with a high ARM threat.
- Remember Jumpstart. It's a situational spell, but using a single focus to remove knockdown and stationary from your models is very powerful and often unexpected by your opponent.
- On your feat turn, you don't need to shoot the same model you're charging/slamming.
- A common fan-joke after Harkevich's spell list was revealed was that one must grow a prodigious beard in order to cast Broadside (as, at the time, the only characters with the spell were Harkevich and Captain Montador, both possessed of truly magnificent facial hair).
- Originally released in the Warmachine: Wrath expansion (2011)
Other faction models
|Khador - Theme Forces (Edit)|
|Winter Guard Kommand|