Kommandant Sorscha Kratikoff
Kommandant Sorscha Kratikoff
Having risen to the rank of kommandant at an unprecedented age, Sorscha Kratikoff has been tasked with commanding the full might of Khador’s new Man-O-War division. Sorscha began her new assignment spending several months undergoing the rigorous training to control Man-O-War armor, a unique hybrid of warcaster armor and Man-O-War armor specially designed to fit her frame. In combat, Kommandant Sorscha is the avalanche in the storm. Her command of winter magic allows Sorscha’s Man-O-War to perform flanking and ambush maneuvers never-before-seen with these steam-powered soldiers. Sorscha goes where the fighting is thickest, laying waste to man and machine.
Rules subject to change.
This is a new model, and the information here is what was given at the start of the CID cycle
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Kommandant Sorscha Kratikoff
- 3 Other
|Kommandant Sorscha Kratikoff|
Weapons and Attacks
- Cannon - 12" range, ROF 1, AOE 3, POW 13 gun.
- Arcing Fire - When attacking with this weapon, this model can ignore intervening models except those within 1" of the target.
- Frostfang - 2" reach, P+S 16 melee weapon.
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon can damage incorporeal models.
- Critical Smite - On a critical hit, the model hit can be slammed d6" directly away from this model. If the model hit has a larger base than the attacking model, it is moved only half the distance rolled. The POW of collateral damage is equal to the STR of this model.
- Freeze - A model hit by this weapon is made stationary for one round unless it has Cold Immunity.
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Immunity: Cold - This model does not suffer cold damage.
- Field Marshal [Flank Man-O-War] - Warbeasts/warjacks in this model's battlegroup gain Flank Man-O-War.
- Repairable - This model can be repaired as if it were a construct.
- Storm's Embrace - While in this model’s command range, friendly Faction models gain concealment.
Feat : Dead of Winter
Place d3+3 3˝ AOE cloud effects anywhere completely in Sorscha’s control range. These AOEs remain in play for one round. A model entering or ending its activation in a Dead of Winter AOEs suffers 1 point of cold damage
- Iron Flesh - COST 2, Range 6", Upkeep
- Affected warrior model/unit gains +2 ARM and immunity to blast damage.
- Stoke the Fires - Target friendly Faction warjack gains +2 SPD and and Counter Charge. Stoke the Fires lasts for one round. (When an enemy model advances and ends its movement within 6˝ of a model with Counter Charge and in its LOS, the model with Countercharge can immediately charge it. A model can use Countercharge only once per round and while not engaged.)
- Wind Rush - Sorscha immediately gets a full advance and gains +2 DEF.
- Winter's Wrath - Winter’s Wrath causes cold damage. Models hit becomes stationary for one round unless they have Immunity: Cold
Thoughts on Kommandant Sorscha Kratikoff
Feel free to remove this warning if you, personally, have a good level of gameplay experience with the model, have reviewed this article, and either you A) agree with the content 100% or B) for the parts you disagree with, you don't strongly disagree; and it's more a case of differing opinions between you and previous editors rather than incorrect content / bad advice.
Kommandant Sorscha Kratikoff in a nutshell
Wearing custom Man-O-War armor, this iteration of Sorscha has elements of her previous versions but also new elements that synergize very well within an Armored Corps theme force. Spells like Wind Rush and abilities like Storm's Embrace are thematically very 'Sorscha', while abilities such as Field Marshal [Man-O-War] reinforce her place as a fantastic warcaster in the Armored Corps. Despite her heavy armor, Sorscha remains a very mobile combatant.
Maximising her feat and spells
The primary goal of her feat is to give you a turn of not being shot/charged by giving you effectively an 12-18" smokescreen or a good tool for herding your opponent's movement. If your opponent happens to be running lots of 1 HP infantry though, you could alternatively use it to wreck a unit or two of them with the single point of cold damage being in the AoE causes. The AoE now stacks damage, so if you can manage to get an enemy model to pass through multiple AoE's they will take several points of damage instead of just 1.
Wind Rush: Speed buff to make her not be super slow or her way back to safety after she lays down her feat. Gives her effectively Def 16 as well making her one of the more tanky warcasters. If running with Armored Korps, it may not be essential every turn, but with anything else, it's a tax on her focus to just keep up.
Iron Flesh: Few things don't enjoy more armor.
Stoke the Fires: Speed boosts are always good for Warjacks, and Counter Charge is an interesting potential deterrent. Aim to use on a warjack like Beast 09 or Spriggan, which have non-boosted buffs, 2" reach and thus can attack through a man-o-war for flanking damage. Remember that Sorscha is a Man-o-War. She can totally be used to lure in a would be assassin to be Warjack stomped. As of week 2 of CID, it's a 1 cost spell that you could easily throw on to up to 4 warjacks to let them keep pace with Wind Rushing Sorscha.
Winter's Wraith: An expensive high-powered explosion that freezes anything it doesn't kill (including friendly models without Cold Immunity). The damage is good, but Sorscha has a PoW 13 cannon she can boost damage with already. It's her ranged way of freezing units. Now costs the same as Freezing Grip, which makes it usable, but Freezing Grip is still the better spell if you want to freeze a whole unit rather than a solo, warjack, or warcaster.
Typical Strategy & Army
Ideally she wins with attrition, letting her forces largely take care of doing the damage, while she aims to keep them alive, and if needed put a shot of her own, or punch something in the face as needed. She can have trouble with aassassinations and certain scenarios because she and Armored Korps tend to be pretty slow, but she can hold areas pretty well or use her feat to disrupt an enemies movement.
Sorscha3 is designed with Man-O-Wars in mind. She let's all her warjacks flank Man-o-Wars and her feat in particular has more versatility with models with multiple hit boxes for setting up clouds as they can weather the 1 point of damage. That said, she offers +2 Def and +2 Arm, so most infantry get something from her.
- Beast-09: With a much friendlier cost, she'll enjoy its shield guard, and it'll enjoy getting counter-charge.
- Spriggan: Great for counter-charges and of course the ever helpful Targeting Flares.
- Victor: Sorscha only really has the support for 1 warjack, so might as well go Colossal. Victor brings a lot of options to the table.
- Mechaniks: In theme, everyone, including Sorscha is repairable.
- Greylord Forge Seer: Runs her warjacks for her.
- Kayazy Eliminators: Perfect counter balance to the big slow man-o-wars.
- Sylys Wyshnalyrr, The Seeker: She's so focus hungry that even freeing up her 1 upkeep focus is a big deal. Also makes Winter's Wraith viable.
Opinion: She is designed to run with Armored Korps, but more accurately, she becomes super inefficient if she's not running with them. She provides almost exclusively defensive buffs and screens which any infantry would enjoy and in melee she can freeze opponents to set them up for easy finishing blows. On the flip side, she uses Man-o-Wars to make it easier for her to run a warjack, letting the warjack boost damage via flanking instead of focus, and using the Forge to give a warjack extra focus instead of her own. She can also use the Man-o-War Kovnik for his speed boost, to keep from having to Wind Rush.
Outside of Armored Korps, Sorscha lags behind the troops she's supposed to be supporting without spending focus to wind rush, and has a hard time running any warjacks efficiently.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Probably doesn't have a place outside of the Armored Korps Theme list.
- She has a lot of overlap with other Warcasters like Zerkova1, Sorscha1, and Butcher1, with very little that distinguishes her besides being fairly durable.
- Still needs a few tweaks, maybe a spell swap or two as well.
Tricks & Tips
- Originally released in the Armored Korps CID (2018.02)
Themes for any-and-all casters (Edit)
- Winter Guard Kommand - (Article) (Category)
- Jaws of the Wolf - (Article) (Category)
- Legion of Steel - (Article) (Category)
- Armored Korps - (Article) (Category)
- Wolves of Winter (Article) (Category)
Other Khador models
Note to self: I need to update this rules section after the CID rules are finalised - juckto.