Koldun Kapitan Valachev
|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Koldun Kapitan Valachev brings the iron strength of the Motherland to mercenary units fortunate enough to serve under his command. Skilled in the dark sorcery of the Greylords, he can chill enemies with icy blasts, propel his unit upfield on freezing winds, or remove debilitating magic afflicting his men. Those serving under him are truly part of Khadoran military machine.
|Koldun Kapitan Valachev|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Saber - 0.5" reach, P+S 9 melee weapon.
- Attachment: [Mercenary] - This model can be attached to a Mercenary unit.
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Ranking Officer - While this model is in play, models in its unit are Khador models instead of Mercenary models.
- Immunity: Cold - This model does not suffer cold damage.
- Battle Wizard - Once per turn during its activation, when this model destroys one or more living enemy models with a melee attack, it can use one of its Magic Abilities for free afterwards.
- Magic Ability [ 7 ] - This model can use its Combat Action to cast spells. Offensive spells are a (★ Attack) and friendly spells are a (★ Action).
Thoughts on Koldun Kapitan Valachev
Koldun Kapitan Valachev in a nutshell
Khador has, perhaps, the most faction-specific spells and abilities in the game. The ability to cast these spells/abilities on to mercenary units is a huge benefit. Valachev requires a bit of finesse to use well, though. On paper, Valachev shines with shooting mercs like Steelhead Riflemen or Nyss Hunters. Move in, shoot enemy and back away with Zephyr.
Combos & Synergies
Don't forget the smaller mercenary units:
- It might be expensive, but Herne and Jonne with Fire For Effect from Irusk2 can be pretty disgusting.
- Lady Aiyana and Master Holt probably benefit the most from becoming friendly faction in Khador, as Kiss of Lyliss provides its damage bonus to the Khadorans.
- The Tactical Arcanist Corps's slow move speed is almost entirely mitigated by Zephyr.
Larger merc units:
- Hammerfall High Shield Gun Corps will lose their Shield Wall capability, but can benefit from Zephyr giving them a decent movement boost as well as access to additional Khador buffs.
- Zerkova2's feat and Occult Whispers are both immensely useful with a unit attached to Valachev. A Mercenary unit with Magic Ability can use an extra spell, and two castings of Zephyr can make a melee unit charge significantly further or allow a ranged unit to avoid retaliation easily.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Valachev has no built-in defenses and quite low defensive stats. Use him cautiously or he will be picked off early.
- You can't use his Magic Abilities on the same turn you issue a Press Forward order.
Tricks & Tips
- Remember that Zephyr can only be triggered during Valachev's action, that he can't use his action until everyone has moved, and you can't use an action on the same turn you charge/run.
- Despite this, you still have quite a few options about when you trigger it - before any other models have attacked, after some have, or after all have.
Originally released in the Warmachine: Wrath expansion (2011)
Valachev is allowed in all the themes, because every theme allows a Mercenary unit and their attachments.
- Winter Guard Kommand - (Article) (Category)
- Jaws of the Wolf - (Article) (Category)
- Legion of Steel - (Article) (Category)
- Wolves of Winter (Article) (Category)
- Armored Korps - (Article) (Category)
Other Khador models
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)