Official announcement coming soon. Watch this space.
Koldun Kapitan Valachev
The site is in the process of being cloned to a new server. IF you make an edit in the next few weeks, there is a chance it won't get duplicated to the new server.
Khador Greylord Character Command Attachment
Koldun Kapitan Valachev brings the iron strength of the Motherland to mercenary units fortunate enough to serve under his command. Skilled in the dark sorcery of the Greylords, he can chill enemies with icy blasts, propel his unit upfield on freezing winds, or remove debilitating magic afflicting his men. Those serving under him are truly part of Khadoran military machine.
- Saber - 0.5" reach, P+S 9 melee weapon.
- Attachment: [Mercenary] - This model can be attached to a Mercenary unit.
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Ranking Officer - While this model is in play, models in its unit are Khador models instead of Mercenary models.
- Immunity: Cold - This model does not suffer cold damage.
- Battle Wizard - Once per turn during its activation, when this model destroys one or more living enemy models with a melee attack, it can use one of its Magic Abilities for free afterwards.
- Magic Ability [ 7 ] - This model can use its Combat Action to cast spells. Offensive spells are a (★ Attack) and friendly spells are a (★ Action).
Thoughts on Koldun Kapitan Valachev
Koldun Kapitan Valachev in a nutshell
Khador has, perhaps, the most faction-specific spells and abilities in the game. The ability to cast these spells/abilities on to mercenary units is a huge benefit. Valachev requires a bit of finesse to use well, though. On paper, Valachev shines with shooting mercs like Steelhead Riflemen or Nyss Hunters. Move in, shoot enemy and back away with Zephyr.
Combos & Synergies
Don't forget the smaller mercenary units:
Larger merc units:
- Hammerfall High Shield Gun Corps will lose their Shield Wall capability, but can benefit from Zephyr giving them a decent movement boost as well as access to additional Khador buffs.
- Zerkova2's feat and Occult Whispers are both immensely useful with a unit attached to Valachev. A Mercenary unit with Magic Ability can use an extra spell, and two castings of Zephyr can make a melee unit charge significantly further or allow a ranged unit to avoid retaliation easily.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Valachev has no built-in defenses and quite low defensive stats. Use him cautiously or he will be picked off early.
- You can't use his Magic Abilities on the same turn you issue a Press Forward order.
Tricks & Tips
- Remember that Zephyr can only be triggered during Valachev's action, that he can't use his action until everyone has moved, and you can't use an action on the same turn you charge/run.
- Despite this, you still have quite a few options about when you trigger it - before any other models have attacked, after some have, or after all have.
Originally released in the Warmachine: Wrath expansion (2011)
Valachev is allowed in all the themes, because every theme allows a Mercenary unit and their attachments.
Other Khador models
Rules Clarification: : Magical Damage (Edit)
(Click Expand to read)
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
- All spells have "Damage Type: Magical" (refer errata).
- This is inherited by "immediate" secondary damage (such as Eruption of Spines). (Infernal Ruling)
- and might be inherited by "lingering" secondary damage (see below).
- If a spell leaves a template in play that does damage to models that walk around in it, then:
- if it is not described as a hazard it will do magical damage to models that walk around in it. (Example: Razor Wall)
- if it is a hazard then it will not do magical damage to models that walk around in it. Instead, it does whatever damage type is specified by the spell description. (Example: Breath of Corruption).
- (Infernal Ruling)
- If a weapon/spell includes Magic Damage and another kind of elemental damage it will still damage Incorporeal models. Incorporeal models are not affected by the rule "if an attack does multiple types of damage and a model is immune to at least one it is immune to the entire attack."
The phrase "immune to non-magical damage" should be interpreted as "immune to damage that doesn't include Damage Type: Magical" (not interpreted as "has immunity to Corrosion and Electricity and Cold and etc.")
Rules Clarification : Cold - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Officer (Edit)
- Even if they're not on the Officer's card, an Officer can give (and benefit from) any non-standard orders that are on the unit's card (such as Shield Wall). Refer main rulebook.
- When the Officer dies, the Leader model becomes the new Unit Commander (you don't get to choose).
- But if your unit doesn't include a Leader model, then you do get to choose any of the remaining models to be the new Unit Commander. You don't swap the model, but it may be worth putting a token down so you can tell that grunt apart.
Rules Clarification : Ranking Officer (Edit)
- If a Ranking Officer with its own subtype joins a unit then that unit doesn't become the same subtype.
For example, if Murdoch, who is a Trencher model, joins a mercenary unit that will not make that merc unit a "Trencher unit". Refer the final paragraph of 'Game Terms, Model Names & Rules References'.
- A Ranking Officer can join a Weapon Crew unit, even though one model is on a large base, due to them having the Man-Sized rule. (Infernal Ruling)
- Models added to the merc unit after the game starts are also friendly faction (ie Alexia1 adding Risen).
- You cannot attach more than one CA to a unit.
- The Ranking Officer benefits from any Granted or Tactics that the 'normal' officer hands out (such as Nyss Hunters giving Hunter).
- Unlike a normal Officer, a Ranking Officer cannot issue special orders that the unit has but he does not (such as the High Shield's "Shield Wall" order).
This means you can't use that order at all until the Ranking Officer dies, but once he's dead it's fine to use.
- If your theme allows a Merc and its attachments, then you can attach a Ranking Officer. This is true regardless of what the theme's "Allowed models" are. (Infernal Ruling)
- If you do attach the Ranking Office, that Merc unit will count towards your "X points of [Faction] models/units" benefit (if your theme is worded that way). (Infernal Ruling)
- Ranking Officer death
- The merc unit will immediately lose any friendly faction "auras" (such as Stryker's +5 ARM feat).
- The merc unit will keep any spells that were cast on them specifically, until that spell naturally expires. You can pay to maintain a faction-only upkeep on the mercs, for example.
- If the merc unit was handing out a buff to 'friendly Faction' models, that buff will immediately 'swap factions' too.
For instance, if Lady Aiyana casts Kiss of Lyliss it will affect models that are currently the same faction as her, not whatever was friendly at the time of casting. (Infernal Ruling)
- 'Jack Marshal & Ranking Officer (Edit)
- If a Ranking Officer joins a unit with the 'Jack Marshal ability, then they can still only take Mercenary warjacks - they don't gain access to Faction warjacks. (Infernal Ruling)
- They can control that mercenary warjack as normal, even though they're technically no longer the same faction as the jack. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Magic Ability (Edit)
- Almost every magic ability cannot be used on the same turn you charge. Because a charge must (almost always) be followed by a melee attack.
- Using a Magic Ability counts as a spell, for effects such as Spell Ward, Witch Hunter, etc.
- Unlike with warcasters/warlocks, using a Magic Ability is not an "any time" ability. This means:
- You must complete your movement before you use a MA.
- You cannot make ranged or melee attacks on the same turn you use a MA.
- You cannot use a MA on the same turn you charge.
- (Unless, of course, the rules for the specific MA you're using say you can.)
- A model in a unit cannot use its Combat Action to cast a spell until all members of the unit have completed their movement. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Disbinding - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Frostbite - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Zephyr (Edit)
- You cannot use Zephyr until everyone in the unit has moved (as no model in a unit can perform an Action until all models have completed their Move). (Infernal Ruling)
- You cannot use an Action on the same turn you Run or Charge.(Infernal Ruling)