Theme - Jaws of the Wolf
Khador Theme Force
The deployment of warjack-heavy forces to eliminate hard targets is a standard response to military threats. A common Khadoran tactic involves augmenting such forces with a contingent of scouts who venture ahead to ensure the slow and steady column of Khadoran steel reaches its target intact. Once engaged, the warjacks rely on overwhelming strength and raw firepower to batter the enemy into submission.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Other
Theme Force Restrictions
A Jaws of the Wolf army can only include models from the following list:
|Allowed models|| Which includes |
Last updated 2017.03
|Khador warcasters||Too many to bother listing|
| Non-character warjacks
||Too many to bother listing|
|The following character jacks|
|Battle Mechanik models/units|
| Kayazy models/units
|The following specific models|
|Up to one mercenary unit and one mercenary solo.||Too many to bother listing|
Theme Force Bonuses
- This army can include one Mercenary solo and one Mercenary unit that will work for Khador.
- These models/units can be included even if they have the Partisan [Khador] rule.
- Mercenary units can have attachments.
- For every 25 points of Khador warjacks in this army, you can add one command attachment or Khador solo to the army free of cost.
- Battle Mechaniks units in the army gain Reposition . (Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.)
- Enemy models lose Ambush.
- Gained access to mercs.
- You can take Yuri as the free solo (used to be limited to non-characters)
- The final benefit changed to enemies losing Ambush (used to be they lost Advance Deployment).
Thoughts on this Theme Force
Theme - Jaws of the Wolf in a nutshell
Jaws of the Wolf focuses on the mainstay of Khador armies in mk3: The Warjacks. Grabbing as many as you can will reward you with free solos, like the Widowmaker Marksman and the Greylord Forge Seer, which dedicated jack forces would be taking anyway.
The other side of the coin to this theme, are the infantry options, comprised of Khador's Stealth and Advance Deployment units. It is quite possible to run an army entirely made up of stealth models. Lastly, never underestimate the power of denying Advance Deployment to your opponent.
- More than anything else, this theme list makes playing lots of warjacks more viable across the board, and largely does so regardless of who you choose as your caster.
- Reposition on the Mechanics allow for more mechanics to get into B2B with a damaged jack to repair it, then move out of the jack's way before it activates.
- Free Forge seers provide your warjacks with extra focus through their empower spell, and if you marshall a warjack to them, their drive also makes all the warjack's weapons magical and blessed. You're playing a list that is probably going to be warjack heavy, so you would be foolish not to take free models that make your warjacks significantly better.
- No Ambush is a cool bonus, but entirely dependent on what your opponent has brought with regards to it being great or irrelevant. You do have the satisfaction of being sure though that they will have to deploy everything normally.
Theme weaknesses & Mitigating them
This theme, despite having a focus on Warjacks, doesn't grant them any direct benefits (like Advance Move granted by the Winter Guard Kommand). It "only" hands out free support solos and improves the maneuverability of Battle Mechanics. Players should decide for themselves whether that and the denied deployment is worth giving up on mercenary and out-of-theme support or not.
List Building Tips
To get most out of the theme benefits, the vast majority of your list will be composed of Jacks, taking the best solos available as free benefits. Battle Mechanics should be taken to fill out the army and provide repair for the large number of Jacks and few Man-O-War solos included. Remember to try and get as close to multiples of 25 for your jacks in order to be more efficient with getting free solos.
At a bare minimum, you should run 50 points of warjacks to gain the 2 free forge seers along with 3-5 warjacks.
|Example of a Jack-heavy list|
|8 heavy Jacks plus Karchev himself totaling 100p exactly; that's 4 free solos (at 4p each) with exactly enough points to get a single unit of Mechanics. Khadoran Jack spam at its height.|
Another approach to building lists in this theme, would be to take advantage of the stealth models with high DEF stats. Kayazy are excellent at gumming up the opponent's slowed down army while your battlegroup gets into position to either line up the assassination or prepare for the attrition.
|Example of a Stealth-heavy list|
|Add text here|
Casters of Note
In saying that though, given that the theme allows you to take Forge Seers that then let you support more warjacks essentially for free, nearly every caster can run this theme list reasonably well. As such it is easier to point out the casters that don't have any synergy with the theme:
- Zerkova2: Zerkova 2 works much better with far more Greylords and offers nothing to the models available in this theme.
Originally released 2017.03
Rules Clarification : Theme Forces (Edit)
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category: Jaws of the Wolf