Jarl Skuld, Devil of the Thornwood
Jarl Skuld is an infamous bandit and highwayman who has become an unlikely guerilla leader among the desperate trollkin remaining in the Thornwood. A skilled gunfighter, Skuld uses a pair of customized, rune-scribed pistols to deadly effect. With lightning raids and devastating ambushes against Cryx, Khador, and other enemies of his people, Jarl Skuld has truly earned the moniker “Devil of the Thornwood.”
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Analysis of Jarl Skuld
- 3 Other
|Jarl Skuld, Devil of the Thornwood|
Weapons and Attacks
- Rune Pistol x2 - 12" RNG, POW 12 ranged weapons
- Axe - 0.5" RNG, P+S 10 melee weapon
- Warlock - All warlocks come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Gunfighter - This model can use its ranged weapons even while in melee, but when it does so it can only target models it's in melee with. It can even make ranged attacks after charging.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Dodge - When an enemy misses this model with an attack at any time except when it is advancing, this model can immediately advance 2" ignoring free strikes.
- Field Marshal [Swift Hunter] - Warbeasts/warjacks in this model's battlegroup gain Swift Hunter.
- Swift Hunter - When this model destroys one or more enemy models with a basic ranged attack, immediately after the attack is resolved it can advance up to 2".
- Magic Bullet - Cost 2, 6" range
- Targets a friendly Faction model. If its next ranged attack directly hits, choose another model within 4" of the model hit. the chosen model suffers an unboostable POW 12 magical damage roll. The point of origin for this damage is the model hit and the damage is not considered to have been caused by an attack. Magic Bullet expires after this damage roll or at the end of one turn.
- Quicken - Cost 3, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target friendly Faction model/unit gains +2 SPD, and +2 DEF vs ranged/magic attack rolls.
- Tactical Supremacy - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target friendly faction model/unit gains Reposition [3"]. (Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.)
- Weald Secrets - Cost 2, 6" range, Upkeep
- Target friendly Faction model/unit gains Pathfinder and Hunter. (Hunter - This model ignores cover and concealment when shooting.)
Feat: Rolling Fog
Places D3 + 3 4" cloud effects completely within Jarl's CTRL for a round. These clouds do not block friendly faction LOS and friendly faction models can move through space occupied by other friendly faction models that are in these clouds. Enemy models in these clouds get an -2 to attack rolls.
Analysis of Jarl Skuld
Jarl Skuld in a nutshell
Jarl Skuld is a warlock who looks as if he's wandered over from the Circle Orboros to lead Trollblood armies. Tricksy and full of movement shenanigans, Jarl is an excellent change of pace for a troll player and would be utterly broken in Circle where he could stack his tricks with theirs - but in Trolls he mostly adds a splash of tricks to add flavour to an army.
Until recently, thanks to his three upkeep spells (and a near inability to cast them all in turn 1) Jarl was considered all but unplayable among Trollbloods because of the overreliance on upkeep spells. However Storm of the North gives him free upkeeps on Northkin - and that plus the Krielstone now being able to generate fury itself makes him far more viable. Although he's personally unchanged these changes to other models have re-written his utility to the point he almost deserves the tag for recent changes.
Typical Army & Strategy
His main win condition is to frustrate the enemy and win by hitting when they can't hit back.
Jarl normally goes for a ranged army that can also work in melee. That said the obvious start to him is the Krielstone (as with all trolls) and the Trollkin Runebearer as he's fury-strapped in the opening turns, and Magic Bullet is both safe for the Runebearer to cast and almost always good.
- Dire Troll Bomber or Troll Impaler gives Jarl Snipe - and he's pretty good with his guns.
- Dire Troll Mauler as it's very good, gives you melee hitting power.
- Ranged light warbeasts like the Slag Troll or Storm Troll are good at taking advantage of his field marshal.
- Rök can be taken under him in Storm of the North. An assault spray with swift hunter, a damage upping animus and the ability to take krielstone buffs makes him beat out the Mauler in that theme easily.
His infantry of choice is primarily ranged.
- Northkin Raiders benefit from most things Jarl does and are more combined arms than the highwaymen.
- Pyg Lookouts provide Mark Target - which works really well with Black Penny - and of course have Prowl to take advantage of Jarl's feat.
- Trollkin Highwaymen - They love both Quicken and the way his feat can get them into back arcs to take advantage of Braylen Wanderheart's buffs.
- Everything likes Tactical Supremacy and Weald Secrets.
- Northkin Bear Handler & Battle Bears have Prowl and so love Jarl's feat while providing armour cracking potential.
- Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes are a surprisingly good target for tactical supremacy, letting them move 8-9" while using awaken the stone.
- Trollkin Champions really like Quickend, hit hard and jam like nothing else. Remember that you don't have to go all in on the ranged army.
- Don't think his feat cloud wall is enough? Swamp Gobber Bellows Crews and Northkin Shamans are there to help!
- Speaking of clouds: Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr are there to help if you enemy tries to annoy you with them. Applied Knowledge and First Aid are awesome, too.
- Lanyssa Ryssyl has got Prowl too and has a cold damage spell that benefits from the Northkin Elder. But most importantly she lets his warbeasts charge for free.
Jarl Skuld, Devil of the Thornwood and theme forces
It is the opinion of many that the obvious place to play Jarl Skuld should be the ranged theme of Kriel Company. His spells speed up the army and help when the enemy has access to concealment and cover. His feat does have some redundancy in regards to LOS and warrior models, but still offers the ability to move through models, like a War Wagon which may be blocking a charge lane. It should be noted however that Kriel Company right now is considered to be the weakes troll theme, due to a lack of units that are good when the lines close and no good way to reliably crack ARM. Warlocks like Horgle2 or Grim2 iron these weaknesses out (somewhat) when running double War Wagons, Jarl doesn't.
Storm of the North is and its buffs are a godsend to a warlock like Jarl. Free upkeeps for a warlock with 3 of them? Access to nearly all good troll units and the ability to go for a combined arms approach? A snowdrift for his troops with prowl to hang out in? The ability to run Rök in his battlegroup? Yes, please! Being able to put Tactical Supremacy on the Kriel Stone, Quickend on Raiders or Champions and still having the fury to focus on casting Magic Bullet and fueling the Kriel Stone is great. Weald Secrets can go on him or his Bomber; paying for one upkeep is okay. Ambushing Bears + Champions + Rök will really make a mess of your enemy once the lines close and Lanyssa and Lookouts hang out in the snow drift and provide their buffs.
Finally, Band of Heroes provides access to Remove from Play, and fast moving Trollkin Fennblades, who enjoy an extra 2" SPD. Although the units available have no ranged options that benefit from Hunter, being able to pass around Pathfinder can allow a Fell Caller Hero to use its other abilities.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- His big weakness is that he has serious problems loading the Krielstone as he also has three upkeeps he wants to cast on turn one.
- He lacks a damage buff (and doesn't really have an accuracy buff).
Tricks & Tips
- With a Trollkin Runebearer and Harmonious Exaltation you can cast all three of his upkeeps on turn 1. This leaves him camping 0 - so make sure he's hiding behind something solid. (In later turns the Runebearer is going to be casting Magic Bullet - a nice effective use of the Runebearer as it keeps him a lot safer than most 3 cost spells would)
- The enemy are there to be messed with. And to dance out of range of - measure their threat ranges when you play.
- Try and make sure you play Jarl with a cluttered battlefield.
- You almost never are going to succeed with a ranged assassination from Jarl (two boosted POW 12s are nowhere near enough) but most opponents will get very worried if you are able to take a few pot-shots at their caster.
Theme Forces this is a member of
Themes for any & all warlocks (Edit)
- Band of Heroes - (Article) (Category)
- Kriel Company - (Article) (Category)
- Power of Dhunia - (Article) (Category)
- Storm of the North (Article) (Category)
Other Troolbloods models
|Warlocks||Bloody Barnabas - Calaban - Helga - Jaga-Jaga - Lord Carver - Maelok - Midas - Rask - Sturm & Drang|
Requires a 2+ warlock game
|Other Controllers|| Lesser Warlocks: Brun & Lug - Dahlia & Skarath - Rorsh & Brine - Wrongeye & Snapjaw
|Warjacks & Warbeasts||The minion battlegroup members you can include in a Trollblood army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what minions it can control.|
|Minion Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Bog Trog Ambushers - Croak Raiders - Bone Grinders - Brigands - Commandos - Razorback Crew - Slaughterhousers - Bokur & Swamp Shamblers - Gatorman Posse - Gobber Bellows|
|Solos||Mist Speaker - Bog Trog Trawler - Croak Hunter - Efaarit Scouts - Feralgeist - Witch Doctor - Gobber Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Ogrun Bokur - Gobber Chef - Thrullg - Totem Hunter|
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher|
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)