Iron Fang Kovnik
Veteran Iron Fangs are brutal and skilled personal combatants. They move between regiments and units coordinating the assaults of subordinate Iron Fangs, lend their tactical prowess where needed, and stand ready to support their brothers with great axe and warjack.
|Iron Fang Kovnik|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
Weapons and Attacks
- Great Axe - 1" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon.
- Weapon Master - When attacking with this weapon, add an additional die to its damage rolls.
- Leadership [Iron Fang] - Iron Fang in this model's CMD range gain Precision Strike (as below).
- No Sleeping on the Job [Iron Fang] - This model and Iron Fang models within its command range are immune to knockdown.
- Precision Strike - When damaging a warjack/warbeast with a melee attack, the attacker chooses which column/branch takes the damage.
- Unyielding - When this model engages an enemy it gains +2 ARM.
Thoughts on Iron Fang Kovnik
Comparison to Mk2
The Kovnik lost 2" Reach on the Axe, Commander was renamed to Leadership, lost Jack Marshal and Shield March, but gained Precision Strike.
Iron Fang Kovnik in a nutshell
His support abilities are useful all by themselves, but don't underestimate the value of a solo with Weapon Master and Precision Strike for taking down tougher solos and/or finishing off enemy warjacks/warbeasts.
Combos & Synergies
- Obviously you're going to want to run the Kovnik in lists that are heavy on Iron Fangs.
- Irusk2 makes Iron Fangs tough. The Kovnik prevents knock down. Great!
Drawbacks & Downsides
- He's not totally optimised for all types of Iron Fangs:
- The Kovnik doesn't bring anything special against enemies that aren't knocking you down and/or enemies that are infantry-heavy.
- Infantry-heavy armies are rare in Mk3, so far.
- It's (weirdly) one of the few Iron Fang models that doesn't have access to Relentless Charge, so make sure you don't mess up a charge through rough terrain.
Tricks & Tips
- Don't forget that No Sleeping on the Job synergizes with all Iron Fang models, not just the traditional Pikemen!
- If you're attacking a warjack you probably can't kill, use Precision Strike to try and take out the Cortex column rather than the weapon column(s). It's much better to be facing a warjack that can't buy attacks rather than one that has crippled attacks.
Originally released in the Warmachine: Vengeance expansion (2014)
Other faction models