|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Ice trolls use their innate connection to the elemental power of cold to create frozen javelins from thin air. They hurl these projectiles great distances to impale hapless warriors and pierce the flesh of warbeasts. Any who survive the impact die slower as icy javelins freeze their body from within.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Thrown Ice Spear - 10" range, POW 13 gun
- Ice Spear - 2" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon.
- Critical Freeze - As above
- Warbeast - All warbeasts share a huge stack of special rules. The short version is they're big, furious, and beat stuff up pretty good.
- Immunity: Cold - This model does not suffer cold damage.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Regeneration [d3] - This model may be forced to heal d3 damage boxes, once per activation. It can't run in the same activation.
Recoil - Cost 1
- The caster gains Swift Hunter for one turn. (Swift Hunter - When this model destroys one or more enemy models with a basic ranged attack, immediately after the attack is resolved it can advance up to 2".)
Thoughts on Ice Troll
Feel free to remove this warning if you, personally, have a good level of gameplay experience with the model, have reviewed this article, and either you A) agree with the content 100% or B) for the parts you disagree with, you don't strongly disagree; and it's more a case of differing opinions between you and previous editors rather than incorrect content / bad advice.
Ice Troll in a nutshell
The Ice Troll is the basic line ranged option of the Northkin. It has a strong ranged presence relative to its points, and synergizes well with the different options inside the Northkin theme force. Legitimately considered a discount Troll Impaler, the Ice Troll has a worse ranged attack and isn't as tough but is cheaper and better in melee.
It's just a cheap and effective ranged warbeast.
Combos & Synergies
The Ice Troll is a nice self-sufficient warbeast although the warbeast synergy needs mentioning first.
- Dire Troll Mauler (or for that matter Mountain King) can give it Rage - which because it's a thrown weapon adds to the ranged damage of the ice troll.
- Borka, Vengeance of the Rimeshaws gives counter-charge - and on a mat 6 model with Reach this is very nice.
- Captain Gunnbjorn provides both Kill Shot and boosted ranged attack rolls.
- Hunters Grim are of course good with shooters.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Warlocks with ranged attacks prefer the Troll Impaler
- P+S 13 is a weird position - overkill on infantry and not hard enough hitting to break heavies.
Tricks & Tips
Remember that when push comes to shove the Ice Troll is better in melee than at range - higher MAT than RAT, hits just as hard, and can buy extra attacks. Range is to soften up targets and kill solos before you go into melee.
Originally released in the Northkin CID (2017.07)
Themes for any-and-all warbeasts (Edit)
- Band of Heroes - (Article) (Category)
- Power of Dhunia - (Article) (Category)
- Storm of the North (Article) (Category)
Other Trollblood models
|Warlocks||Bloody Barnabas - Calaban - Helga - Jaga-Jaga - Lord Carver - Maelok - Midas - Rask - Sturm & Drang|
Requires a 2+ warlock game
|Other Controllers|| Lesser Warlocks: Brun & Lug - Dahlia & Skarath - Rorsh & Brine - Wrongeye & Snapjaw
|Warjacks & Warbeasts||The minion battlegroup members you can include in a Trollblood army depends entirely on what type of model is commanding them. There are too many permutations to list here, please refer to one of the model entries above for full details of what minions it can control.|
|Minion Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Units||Bog Trog Ambushers - Croak Raiders - Bone Grinders - Brigands - Commandos - Razorback Crew - Slaughterhousers - Bokur & Swamp Shamblers - Gatorman Posse - Gobber Bellows|
|Solos||Mist Speaker - Bog Trog Trawler - Croak Hunter - Efaarit Scouts - Feralgeist - Witch Doctor - Gobber Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Ogrun Bokur - Gobber Chef - Thrullg - Totem Hunter|
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher|
| See also the Warbeast page for a recap of the core warbeast rules.