House Shyeel has brought the power of its formidable myrmidons to the Retribution, fighting machines enhanced by sophisticated arcanika systems. The Hydra stores energy in its arcane batteries to unleash a torrent of crushing blows or a singularly powerful blast.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Force Cannon - 12" range, POW 12 gun
- Force Fist (x2) - 1" reach, P+S 15 melee weapons
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Force Fields - this warjack has an extra damage track that takes damage first.
- Field Dependent - If this model's Generator is crippled, it loses Kinetic Capacitor and can't attack with its Force Cannon.
- Focus Battery - This model doesn't lose its unspent focus at the start of the turn.
- Kinetic Capacitor - When a Hydra is hit by an enemy melee or ranged attack, after the attack the Hydra gains 1 focus point.
Thoughts on Hydra
Hydra in a nutshell
It's a heavy warjack with a decent gun (the longest in Retribution before adding Snipe). The focus investment to get the gun working at full-tilt can be off-putting, but Focus Battery offsets that if you're smart with your playstyle.
The Hydra's okay in melee, a little weak on the P+S and will sometimes struggle vs other heavies, but Chain Attack Grab & Smash has great tactical applications such as knocking down enemies or throwing them out of scenario zones.
Combos & Synergies
- Snipe is a great tool to give this guy some annoying range.
- Have him activate first. If the Hydra gets its two first punches in then whatever he knocked down becomes open season.
- Lord Ossyan has a great set of spells to help out our one-headed Hydra. Fortune for re-rolls on super long shots against hard to hit solos, and Shatter Storm for taking out piled up groups of troops (heh I made a rhyme).
- Scything Touch with Elara2 is exactly what you need to make his melee not only decent but useful.
- Due to not losing focus each round, it's a good jack to marshal - load it up with focus in the first turn then hold on to it unless you need to boost. The extra attack and +2 damage in melee doesn't hurt either.
Drawbacks & Downsides
Well the sad truth of it is that there are better options. He can get long-range shots off and is focus efficient, but he only gets one shot. In melee his P+S is lackluster, the only pro is Grab and Smash.
So, by himself, he is good at is sniping out solos. That's a lot of points to waste on a solo-hunter.
Tricks & Tips
- Because of its Focus Battery ability:
- Figure out what you need to cast on turn 1, and anything leftover allocate to the Hydra - there's (almost never) no point camping focus on turn 1.
- If you have an Arcanist Mechanik with nothing better to do, use Empower on the Hydra (even if the Hydra has already activated).
- With the Kinetic Capacitor, you don't gain the focus until after the attack. So if the damage cripples either your Cortex or your Generator, you can't benefit.
- The Hydra is a reference (like most ret jacks) to a mythological monster. In this case the "Hydra" is referring to the three headed dragon beast that Hercules fought in his quests given to him by his father Zeus. The Hydra was a special monster as if it were to have one of its heads cut off two more would replace it making it one of the most famous Monsters in history.
- Originally released in Forces of Warmachine: Retribution of Scyrah (Novermber 2009)
- Forges of War (Article) (Category)
- Themes for any-and-all warjacks (Edit)
Other Retribution models
|Retribution Mercenary Models/Units|
|Units||Lady Aiyana & Master Holt|
|Solos||Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan|