You may be looking for one of these:
|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
Few military developments have been so disquieting to Cygnar's rivals as the Hunter; simply stated, it is a jack assassin. Equipped with advanced mechanika relays, an inventive boiler design, and a Long Arm cannon specifically designed for penetrating heavily armored opponents over distances, the Hunter has already made a name for itself in the field.
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Battle Axe - 1" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon.
- Long Arm - 14" range, POW 6 gun. The worst POW in Cygnar, but armor piercing makes it 10 times better.
- Armor-Piercing - When calculating damage from this weapon, halve the base ARM stat of models hit.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Extended Control Range - When checkin to see if this model is inits controller's control range, double the range.
2017.08 Cygnar Update
- Lost Advance Deployment but got a point cheaper. This was to prevent Hunters shooting into the deployment zone on turn 1.
Thoughts on Hunter
Hunter in a nutshell
The Hunter is an accurate, long-range, armour piercing jack with great mobility. It Long Arm is exceptionally good at punching through naturally high ARM, erasing on average more than a column of an ARM 18 jack per shot with damage boost. It boasts above-average DEF, but weaker ARM and fewer HP than the other light warjacks (save the Grenadier).
This jack almost always ends up compared to the Defender, Cygnar's other long-range jack:
|16 points - (1.875 HP/points)||10 points - (2.4 HP/points),|
|16" (21" with advance)||14" (20" with advance)|
|RAT 6 - but can aim more often due to longer range||RAT 7|
|Better against targets under natural ARM 18 and who have additional ARM protection (Shield, Buckler, spells, etc.)||Better against targets with natural ARM 18 and above|
|P+S 17, MAT 7, 9" melee threat, good against heavy targets||P+S 12, MAT 6, 10" melee threat, only useful against light/medium single wound infantries and light solos.|
|30 HP, high ARM, average DEF||24 HP, low ARM, high DEF|
|Cortex Damage on the melee weapon||
|(Edit this comparison)|
Overall, the Defender is much more resilient, and better at dealing damage against targets with ablative protection (Buckler, Shield, spells, etc), while the Hunter is good against naturally high ARM targets. The Hunter beats the Defender in mobility, and flexibility in positioning, but cannot compete with it in melee. Superior range in SR2017 scenarios is a debatable advantage due to the increased number of terrain pieces.
Combos & Synergies
- Kraye can let it retreat after shooting, plus Admonition keeps it safe from jammers.
- Extended Control Range makes the Hunter ideal for Journeyman Warcasters, since the Journeyman's 6" control area, which can be a real pain to work with, is extended to 12" for the Hunter.
- Works well with Haley2's Temporal Acceleration, giving him speed buff and another shot.
- The Hunter loves nearly everything Captain Kara Sloan can offer.
- Haley 3 lets it have a 32' leash. (8 focus= 16 doubled to 32, giving it an extremely long leash. If you want to consider absurd CTRL ranges, look for Nemo1 too, who is quite capable of leading the Hunter across the entire board. Also, extended CTRL range synergize very well with AOE:CTRL spells, like Deceleration.
- Siege1 - Though the feat doesn't stack with Armour Piercing, he offers no damage buff to his army, and you'll need something to crack heavier targets, before Siege drops his feat. Also, Foxhole makes a DEF 18 jack out of the Hunter.
- Long Gunners - The Hunter's shots are quality shots of the best kind. Use the Long Gunners' quantity fire to trigger Shield Guards and erase Sacrificial Pawn targets. It is especially pronounced in the Heavy Metal theme.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Abysmal melee capacity and fragile frame - once in melee, it is in deep trouble
- Ablative ARM buffs (Arcane Shield, Carapace, Buckler, Wall of Steel, Shield, etc.) aren't halved, significantly lowering it's hitting power.
- Very sensitive for jamming infantries - fortunately, extended control plus pathfinder often gives you space to evade them.
Tricks & Tips
- With Pathfinder the Hunter can routinely hide in forests to boost its DEF to levels which are, for a warjack, absurd.
- Try to put it in or behind a solid obstacle (walls, etc.) so that it benefits from cover, and can take advantage of Pathfinder to get away from the enemy if they make a move towards it.
- The Hunter is great at shooting Battle Engines and other targets on huge base, as most of the defensive tricks won't work on them.
- Extended Control Area, by its current wording applies to spells which affect models within CTRL zone - have fun with Magnetic Field, Energizer, Deceleration, Pursuit, and the like.
- The Hunter is accurate enough to not need to boost to hit against its favoured targets. Just the one focus from Power Up is enough for it do its job.
Originally released in Warmachine: Escalation (2004)
- Sons of the Tempest - (Article) (Category)
- Themes for non-character warjacks (Edit)
Other Cygnar models