House Shyeel Magister
House Shyeel Magister
Battle mage magisters manipulate invisible energies to tear an enemy limb from limb or to haul weighty machinery around like pieces on a game board. The massive arcanika gauntlets they wear not only serve as conduits for their powers, but can deliver tremendous crushing blows and send opponents flying.
|House Shyeel Magister|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Power Gauntlet (x2) - 0.5" reach, P+S 11 melee attack
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon can damage incorporeal models.
- Beat Back - Immediately after a basic attack with this weapon is resolved during this model's Combat Action, the enemy model hit can be pushed 1" directly away from the attacking model. After the enemy model is pushed, the attacking model can advance up to 1" directly towards it.
- Combo Smite (★ Attack) - 1) The model hit is slammed d6" directly away from this model. If the model hit is on a larger base, halve the distance. 2) The slam damage roll is 2d6 + STR + 2x POW. Collateral damage is 2d6 + STR.
- Force Barrier - This model gains +2 DEF vs ranged attacks and is immune to blast damage.
- Magic Ability [ 7 ] - This model can use its Combat Action to cast spells. Offensive spells are a (★ Attack) and friendly spells are a (★ Action).
- Force Bolt (★ Attack) - 10" range, POW 10 magic attack. 1) An enemy model hit by this attack can be pushed d3" directly away or toward the caster. Roll the d3 after choosing direction. 2) On a critical hit, the enemy model is knocked down after being pushed.
- Whip Snap (★ Attack) - 6" range, POW 12 magic attack. If this attack hits an enemy model, immediately afterwards the Magister or a friendly Faction model within 3" of him can advance up to 2". A model can only advance once per turn via Whip Snap.
Thoughts on the House Shyeel Magister
House Shyeel Magister Nutshell
The House Shyeel Magister is a control piece between the array of pushes and slams it has access to. Reasonably safe at range, it wants to get close and use those gauntlets to slam enemy models around or pull friendly models into better positions. If you want more Force Bolts look at the House Shyeel Battle Mages instead.
Combos & Synergies
The knockdown on Force Bolt or from Combo Smite can be used to set up other low accuracy attacks from Stormfall Archers or other similar units.
Drawbacks & Downsides
While Force Barrier can keep them safe at a distance they are not survivable towards melee, or anything that can get around or over their high defence due to the low armour. Treat them as one shot missiles.
Tricks & Tips
Use Whipsnap to help set up aiming bonuses on things like fully loaded Hydras.
Originally released in Forces of Warmachine: Retribution of Scyrah (November 2009)
Other Retribution models
|Retribution Mercenary Models/Units|
|Units||Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr|
|Solos||Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Eilish Garrity - Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan|
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)