House Ellowuyr Swordsmen
|This server will go offline in September 2018. Please migrate to our new server, Warmachine University|
|For more info on why we're moving to a new server, check out the Brief History section on the new main page, and/or listen to episode 45 of the LOS podcast|
| If you have made an edit within the last month or so, please check the new server and see if it was copied by the autobot. |
You may need to copy-paste your work to the new server manually. Sorry.
The swordsmen of House Ellowuyr practice a unique traditional discipline of fighting that utilizes perfectly balanced blades and fluid movements. Employing great sweeping motions they can cleave an opponent in two and continue to the next without losing momentum, while also being able to quickly maneuver to deflect incoming projectiles with the flat of their blades. They fight at the request of Thyron, Sword of Truth, who offered the Retribution the aid of those heroic swordsmen most loyal to him.
Officer & Standard Bearer - Command Attachment
|House Ellowuyr Swordsmen|
|Unit Size|| 6/10|
|1.6 each (excl CA)|
1.8 each (incl CA)
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Great Sword - 2" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon
- Entire Unit
- Officer only
- He has +1 MAT and 5 HP
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Granted: Practiced Maneuvers - While this model is still alive and in formation all of the unit gains Practiced Maneuvers. (Practiced Maneuvers - Each model in this unit can ignore other models in this unit when determining LOS and can advance through them if it has enough movement to move completely past them.
- Serpent's Coil (Minifeat) - Once per game the unit gains Defensive Strike. (Defensive Strike - Once per turn, when an enemy enters and ends their movement in this model's melee range, it may make one basic melee attack against it.)
- Standard only
Thoughts on House Ellowuyr Swordsmen
Feel free to remove this warning if you, personally, have a good level of gameplay experience with the model, have reviewed this article, and either you A) agree with the content 100% or B) for the parts you disagree with, you don't strongly disagree; and it's more a case of differing opinions between you and previous editors rather than incorrect content / bad advice.
House Ellowuyr Swordsmen in a nutshell
You have well armored, weapon master infantry with 2" melee range, you have less armored, weapon master infantry who deal with monsters and jacks, and you have these guys. Better speed, the same good MAT, increased resistance against direct shooting, but weaker ARM - they're skirmishers against enemy gunlines and jammers. Since the meta starts to favor more infantry-inclined approaches again (Gravediggers, Ghost Fleet, etc), they can find place in more and more lists. If you intend to use them as anti-jam unit, their CA gives them Defensive Strike, which is a great ability. If your opponent out threats you, or just run up to engage, they have a good change at cutting down the would-be jammers. This mini feat loses its value to longer the game goes, so the earlier you use it, the better the results will be.
Combos & Synergies
- Kaelyssa - With Blur they are DEF 18 against direct shooting. Their mini-feat combined with Kaelyssa's no-charging feat makes this unit ideal to be upfront in case your opponent tries to run infantry at them to jam them up.
- Ossyan - Quicken gets them to DEF 17 against direct shooting, and SPD 8 gets them in your opponent's front lines fast. Since Ossyan likes to play the shooting game, the ability for them to walk out of melee makes them the ideal unit to disengage what they jammed up rather than be in the way and providing the in melee DEF bonus. They can also ignore free strikes to get into their back line to get at support pieces or jam up opposing shooty units.
- Thyron - their de-facto leader helps them to dig really deep into enemy lines under his feat, and offers them crucial Pathfinder for charges through Onslaught.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Their elite DEF forces the enemy to direct all the AoEs toward their direction - and their ARM is not designed to withstand that
- A bit too expensive for a jamming unit, and they also lack native Pathfinder
- Tough infantry can block your Cleave
- Infiltrators in the SotR theme force are better in dealing with Tough infantries, while the Swordsmen receive no such bonus from any current theme list
Tricks and Tips
- You know what really shuts down a unit of trenchers, or anyone, who dug himself in under Siege2's feat? 4 Guys with reach that can walk through them.
- Unit & CA was released 2017.04
Other Retribution models
|Retribution Mercenary Models/Units|
|Units||Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr|
|Solos||Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Eilish Garrity - Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan|
Note to Editors