Mercenary Rhulic Weapon Crew Unit
The clan lords of Rhul viewed the advent of artillery among the human nations of the Iron Kingdoms with amusement. The Rhulic Moot has traditionally taken a dim view of mercenary operations, but in recent years the profits certain clan lords have gained is difficult to dismiss. Certain provisions were made to allow Rhulic mercenaries abroad to equip themselves with siege cannons and other weapons of war. Their powerful mortars are extremely destructive and can be fired indirectly, giving the Rhulic army an intimidating ability to control the battlefield.
|Horgenhold Artillery Corps
|| 2 / 4
| Unit Size
|| 1 Gunner|
|See also How to Read the statblock
- Axe - 0.5" reach, P+S 8 melee weapon
- Gunner only
- Axe - As above
- Siege Cannon - 16" range, 4" AOE, POW 14 ranged weapon
- Arcing Fire - When attacking with this weapon, this model can ignore intervening models except those within 1" of the target.
- Brutal Damage - On a direct hit, gain an additional die on this weapon's damage rolls against the target directly hit.
- Mercenary - will work as a Cygnar mercenary or Protectorate of Menoth mercenary.
- Gunner only
- Man-Sized - This model is on a large base, but is treated as being on a small one.
- Mobile Artillery - When this model moves, it gains 1" additional movement for each Grunt nearby.
- Take Up - If this model is killed you may instead remove a Grunt within 1". Remove any effects on this model, and apply any effects that were on the old grunt.
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
Thoughts on Horgenhold Artillery Corps
Horgenhold Artillery Corps in a nutshell
The Horgenhold Artillery Corps are a staple of Hammer Strike lists with Ossrum and Durgen, but are also effective enough to be seen elsewhere. They are quite capable of causing significant damage to both high ARM, and bunched up infantry from complete safety. In Hammer Strike, they are even allowed to reposition after firing.
Combos & Synergies
- Durgen Madhammer buffs them with his feat.
- General Ossrum loves all dwarves. Juggle Fire for Effect between two units of these guys if you want to see things disappear from the battlefield.
- Siege1 - even though you cannot make them Friendly Faction models, a POW 14 Brutal Damage shot will leave a mark under his feat.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Incoming fire has right of way - if it can get in range. Take Up makes the mortar harder to remove.
- Consequently, watch out for RFP attacks, targeting the mortar.
- Grunts only have axes, so can't take potshots.
Tricks and Tips
- If taken in Hammer Strike, the unit is 1" faster if it walks and Reposition than if it runs.
- Remember arcing fire and use it to put blasts in the best spots.
- It is man-sized, so you can hide behind other models.
- Reinforcements from the Siege Crawler can occasionally bring back grunts to the unit too (not the artillery, though).
Other Mercenary models
Rules Clarification : Arcing Fire (Edit)
- Arcing Fire lets you ignore models but not terrain. You don't ignore clouds, forests or buildings.
Rules Clarification : Brutal Damage (Edit)
- Brutal Damage only applies to the model directly hit, so it never affects blast damage.
Rules Clarification : Man-Sized (Edit)
- Despite being mounted on a large base, the model counts as a small-base for any and every rule. (Infernal Ruling)
- This includes Ranking Officers being able to join them. (Infernal Ruling)
- This includes abilities that only work vs small-based models (such as Consume, Trampling over them, etc). Those work just fine vs Man-Sized models.
- When drawing LOS it blocks LOS across the full width of its base (some players think you should swap it for a small proxy base when trying to draw LOS past the edge of its base ... don't do that).
- Since it only counts as a small-based model, it only blocks LOS to other small-based models. You can see medium and larger bases through it just fine.
Rules Clarification : Mobile Artillery - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Take Up (Edit)
- The model taken off the table is effectively killed by Take Up, not the original attack, so it will stop abilities like Berserk and Killing Spree. (Locked thread)
Rules Clarification : Officer (Edit)
- Even if they're not on the Officer's card, an Officer can give (and benefit from) any non-standard orders that are on the unit's card (such as Shield Wall). Refer main rulebook.
- When the Officer dies, the Leader model becomes the new Unit Commander (you don't get to choose).
- But if your unit doesn't include a Leader model, then you do get to choose any of the remaining models to be the new Unit Commander. You don't swap the model, but it may be worth putting a token down so you can tell that grunt apart.